That's What Friends Are For, Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager 1982

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"That's What Friends Are For" is a song written by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager.

It was first recorded in 1982 by Rod Stewart for the soundtrack of the film Night Shift, but it is better known for the 1985 cover version by Dionne Warwick, Elton John, Gladys Knight, and Stevie Wonder.

This recording, billed as being by "Dionne Warwick & Friends", was released as a charity single for AIDS research and prevention. It was a massive hit, becoming the number-one single of 1986, and winning the Grammy Awards for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and Song of the Year. It raised over $3 million for its cause.

This song is heartily dedicated to our very good friend Ruth Abrea!!!
Know that you can always count on us!!!
Our love and prayers are with you!!!

https://youtu.be/6Ux_-hkehNU

Great version Rene. I do love Bacharach's chord progressions.
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

This sounds awesome! I'm an EDM producer, interested in working together? You have an amazing voice!

Damn this surprised me how good it sounded. This was just one mic with no multitracking and separate stem mixing?

Allomerus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:28 am Great version Rene. I do love Bacharach's chord progressions.
++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Allomerus,
Burt B is a genius, and his musical world is so unique, and has that classy mass appeal!!!
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments!!!
Wishing you the best for 2023!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

Nice job on this one! :)

I was wondering about cover versions: Don't you need permission from the composer to use their compositions? I have one I made by Stravinsky and wanted to put my version on Soundcloud.

Nice cover and song. (didn't know it. nice chords!)
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

Wout Valcke wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:07 am This sounds awesome! I'm an EDM producer, interested in working together? You have an amazing voice!
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Wout Valcke,
Thank you for the huge compliment!
You are so kind!!!
EDM + acoustic.
Sounds chill!!!
The door is open, thanks for your asking!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:19 am
Wout Valcke wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:07 am This sounds awesome! I'm an EDM producer, interested in working together? You have an amazing voice!
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Wout Valcke,
Thank you for the huge compliment!
You are so kind!!!
EDM + acoustic.
Sounds chill!!!
The door is open, thanks for your asking!!!
Respectfully,
Rene
hey,
Thanks for your reply! Do you know a way that we can contact eachother?

Hi Wout,
I will message you.
Or you can also give me your e-mail.
Rene

Your voice is so smooth. Love this one.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

Opaque wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:46 pm Damn this surprised me how good it sounded. This was just one mic with no multitracking and separate stem mixing?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Opaque,
Yeahhhhh!!!!
You are so appreciated, my friend.
I love your most enthusiastic comment!!!
I am using 2 microphones, directed to guitar and vocals, but also pick up both guitar and vocals at the same time. Ear Trumpet Labs, Edwina Model (vocals) and Shure SM-58 (guitar).
Yes, no multitracking and no separate stem mix.
Thank you so much!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

Examigan wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:10 pm Nice job on this one! :)
I was wondering about cover versions: Don't you need permission from the composer to use their compositions? I have one I made by Stravinsky and wanted to put my version on Soundcloud.
++++++++++++++++++
Hi Examigan,
Thanks for asking.
Technically, the answer to your question is "yes".
Ask permission is the correct path.
Part of what I do is I acknowledge the composer, and all the copyright owners on my posting.
I include that information in my post body.
I do not make any monetary gain for this cover work, and I am far from making anything from this cover.
Thanks for asking.
Rene

tomtom1 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:41 am Nice cover and song. (didn't know it. nice chords!)
++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi tomtom1,
I am so happy to have delivered this classic to your musical ear!!!
Love your wonderful comments!!!
You are so awesome!!!
Thank you!
With love and respect,
Rene

Great version and nice tribute

Return to “Music Cafe”