Spitfire audio and Pianoteq 7 Mock-up. "Lucid REM" for Piano and orchestra

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Krisprolls wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:16 am
That's it...
That's all, huh? :hihi:

I'm actually quite curious about your background: your musical education, how long you have been composing, as well as sequencing and mixing. There is a refinement here that cannot be faked.

And... is this you singing opera?!? :eek:

https://youtu.be/TE6lPnuTHd8
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Thank you for your comments. It's always a pleasure! Especially since I am aware that my music may not be the easiest to listen to sometimes...

jamcat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:18 am
Krisprolls wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:16 am
That's it...
That's all, huh? :hihi:

I'm actually quite curious about your background: your musical education, how long you have been composing, as well as sequencing and mixing. There is a refinement here that cannot be faked.

And... is this you singing opera?!? :eek:

https://youtu.be/TE6lPnuTHd8
Haha. Yes I am the singer... However, it's not my composition, but a Duparc for singing and piano.
Yes, I am a baritone, and I sometimes sing opera, but especially ensembles or professional choirs in France.
I first did piano, then theoretical subjects at the conservatory (harmony, writing, counterpoint, or other things) and then singing, which became my profession.
I compose for my Leisure !
But I'm very happy with your opinion!

So a couple weeks ago, a musical prodigy joined KVR and no one noticed... :lol:
Krisprolls wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:10 pm I have also a music for cello and orchestra (and many other few things on my Yt channel)
Here Reached Alert (last month composed). All samples
Have you tried the physically modeled Audio Modeling SWAM instruments?
Listening to the solo cello, for instance, I think you would be able to achieve even more realism in the performance. If you like Pianoteq, you'll love SWAM.

jamcat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:12 am So a couple weeks ago, a musical prodigy joined KVR and no one noticed... :lol:
Krisprolls wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:10 pm I have also a music for cello and orchestra (and many other few things on my Yt channel)
Listening to the solo cello, for instance, I think you would be able to achieve even more realism in the performance. If you like Pianoteq, you'll love SWAM.
Oh! I think you're opening a door for me!!!! I'm watching this now!

Krisprolls wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:22 am Oh! I think you're opening a door for me!!!! I'm watching this now!
Check out these 2 videos. They really illustrate what is possible with the SWAM instruments.

https://youtu.be/Cp-h3_uDnEc

https://youtu.be/FJSKNqVwsFQ

I use the strings with Virtual Sound Stage 2.
It's a lot of work, but I think it's worth it.

Well, I just listened to the demos on their site, there are some advantages on the samples, in terms of speed and agility as well as processor load, but I think we still hear the synthesis (at least on their demos). The cello, for example, does not always seem to me 100% convincing according to my tastes, but I imagine that you can achieve your goals by working (exactly as for Pianoteq by the way).
I would have been tempted by the bundle of double reeds, but they highlight the bassoon that I don't find perfect (on the other hand, really very agile, it's great). Little about oboes and especially the English horn of which there are no real demos.
I will continue to explore this. If there was a possibility of a demo it would be perfect...
EDIT.
I listened to the links you just gave me. For example, I find the trumpet very interesting. The strings are a little too wrapped in reverb too long. But it's really impressive!
EDIT. But I don't like the slightly veiled timbre of the cello. There is a lack of granules for me...
EDIT again : In the yt like, I recognize that de cello is very convincing in the Swan extract !
EDIT (Edith is a name in French haha)... Advantage to the modular system : playable all in one, and jump automatically on several articulations. gain of time ! Some sample libs offer that also, but here the latency is minimal and it could be very agile... I am in reflexion... Because my bank account is low and dry... Dry and no reverb on my bank account haha !

Very nice. I especially like the "human" tempo and rubato. Okay i saw that you played everything by your own via keyboard.
Did you edit it after playing it again? The velocity values ​​randomized or something similar? Or is it just your performance?
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:26 pm Very nice. I especially like the "human" tempo and rubato. Okay i saw that you played everything by your own via keyboard.
Did you edit it after playing it again? The velocity values ​​randomized or something similar? Or is it just your performance?
In first time, I know the tempo when I write the score.
I record at a constant tempo (between 60 or 80 bpm and following the difficulty). I am forced to redo several times some parts that do not suit me.
Sometimes, if an instrument uses several modes I record it either by sections or with a single articulation that I then burst with the desired type of playing.

Then, depending on the passages, I determine the tempo or accelerated changes, rubato to match with my idea and avoid the feeling that everything is too regular or frozen. All my tempo track is precisely notate in the Daw.

Similarly for each instrument, I voluntarily leave a natural imprecision (for exemple the pizz should not, in my opinion, fall strictly together and the small hesitations do not bother me).
And of course I edit several times to find the good vibrato, and dynamic. Or the good velocity but never randomized. It have to match if possible with all the mix.
And it is never perfect !

Krisprolls wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:18 am Well, I just listened to the demos on their site, there are some advantages on the samples, in terms of speed and agility as well as processor load, but I think we still hear the synthesis (at least on their demos). The cello, for example, does not always seem to me 100% convincing according to my tastes, but I imagine that you can achieve your goals by working (exactly as for Pianoteq by the way).
I would have been tempted by the bundle of double reeds, but they highlight the bassoon that I don't find perfect (on the other hand, really very agile, it's great). Little about oboes and especially the English horn of which there are no real demos.
I will continue to explore this. If there was a possibility of a demo it would be perfect...
EDIT.
I listened to the links you just gave me. For example, I find the trumpet very interesting. The strings are a little too wrapped in reverb too long. But it's really impressive!
EDIT. But I don't like the slightly veiled timbre of the cello. There is a lack of granules for me...
EDIT again : In the yt like, I recognize that de cello is very convincing in the Swan extract !
EDIT (Edith is a name in French haha)... Advantage to the modular system : playable all in one, and jump automatically on several articulations. gain of time ! Some sample libs offer that also, but here the latency is minimal and it could be very agile... I am in reflexion... Because my bank account is low and dry... Dry and no reverb on my bank account haha !
Audio Modeling has one 30% off sale per year, for a few weeks starting on Black Friday. Also, you can purchase one bundle now, like the Solo Strings, and Audio Modeling will give you a special price on completing the All-In Bundle that subtracts almost the entire cost of the bundle you already purchased.

There is also Sample Modeling, which is a different company altogether. They use "harmonic alignment" of sample fragments within Kontakt to construct similarly responsive instruments which outperform normal sample libraries and are a fraction of the size. Peter Siedlaczek is involved.

It's easier to get a good, convincing sound from Sample Modeling, but the instruments aren't quite as flexible as Audio Modeling instruments. And they are even more expensive, (plus the cost of Kontakt if you don't own it.)

jamcat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:39 pm
Krisprolls wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:18 am Well, I just listened to the demos on their site, there are some advantages on the samples, in terms of speed and agility as well as processor load, but I think we still hear the synthesis (at least on their demos). The cello, for example, does not always seem to me 100% convincing according to my tastes, but I imagine that you can achieve your goals by working (exactly as for Pianoteq by the way).
EDIT.
Audio Modeling has one 30% off sale per year, for a few weeks starting on Black Friday. Also, you can purchase one bundle now, like the Solo Strings, and Audio Modeling will give you a special price on completing the All-In Bundle that subtracts almost the entire cost of the bundle you already purchased.

There is also Sample Modeling, which is a different company altogether. They use "harmonic alignment" of sample fragments within Kontakt to construct similarly responsive instruments which outperform normal sample libraries and are a fraction of the size. Peter Siedlaczek is involved.

It's easier to get a good, convincing sound from Sample Modeling, but the instruments aren't quite as flexible as Audio Modeling instruments. And they are even more expensive, (plus the cost of Kontakt if you don't own it.)
Oh yes. Indeed... All this deserves to be thought of!

In any case, thank you very much for your advice!

jamcat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:12 am So a couple weeks ago, a musical prodigy joined KVR and no one noticed... :lol:
OOOKKKayyy...

I went to the checkout!
I was just looking for an agile instrument for a current project. You made me want to try these modelled instruments at Swam.

So I bought myself SWAM clarinets earlier.
It's very very very very (very) good!

It absolutely fits into the empty box I needed. I think I can explore even better how to sculpt the timbre to go either to this round and classical sound, or to the annoying little clarinet of popular music.

In the pack there is also the bass clarinet, but for the moment, I do not find the expected assets. I still have to practice to get a good idea.

I hope to post my project in a few days. It is a miniature for Harp, Chamber Choir, Soloist voice and precisely clarinet.

Here is the new model, this time of a kind of chamber music, but you can hear Swam's clarinet (I let go a little and took advantage of certain functions such as vibrato which are not necessarily very well seen in classical, but more in jazz. I'm very happy to have discovered this! Maybe I'll also go and see the other instruments)...
https://youtu.be/dAlpte8fW9E
I was wondering if Swam was still very active. I haven't seen anything new on their site lately...

Krisprolls wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:43 pm Here is the new model, this time of a kind of chamber music, but you can hear Swam's clarinet (I let go a little and took advantage of certain functions such as vibrato which are not necessarily very well seen in classical, but more in jazz. I'm very happy to have discovered this! Maybe I'll also go and see the other instruments)...
:tu:
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

Krisprolls wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:43 pm Here is the new model, this time of a kind of chamber music, but you can hear Swam's clarinet (I let go a little and took advantage of certain functions such as vibrato which are not necessarily very well seen in classical, but more in jazz. I'm very happy to have discovered this! Maybe I'll also go and see the other instruments)...
Sounds great! Sequencing with SWAM is a totally different experience than samples. It's more organic and holistic. It makes you think about the bow strokes and the breaths. For me, it's the only way to get MY performance. I knew this is exactly what you needed too for the kind of composition you are doing, and that you would do something really special with it. :wink:

Krisprolls wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:43 pm I was wondering if Swam was still very active. I haven't seen anything new on their site lately...
They are. The 3.6 updates just came out in December. And some time back they posted on their Facebook that they're working on ensemble strings instruments.

Their Facebook is very active, and they also have all of the SWAM instruments for iOS.

Return to “Music Cafe”