Typical use of your synths aka what kind of music do you make with a synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
billinder33
KVRist
39 posts since 22 Jan, 2022

Post Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:07 am

kPere wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:28 am As black friday sales are slowly comming to light some may be tempted to get a new synth, like myself for example.
I don't have many, never got any serious one - and by my surprise I'm struggling to find information on what are given synths good at.

I mean I'd be happy to see from you guys, who are more experienced in synthesis and have worked on some synths - what are your thoughts on the ones you own or used to own?

To be more exact, I heard that Zebra being a workhorse and capable of making pretty much anything you want, but is good for cinematic sounds, pads etc.
Is someone working on more pop souding music have any reasons to invest in Zebra and it's workflow? Or maybe there is some other synth that'd be more pleasure to work with in that direction.
Subjective matters aside, but I'm sure you guys could share some insight on some synths you've got.
Zebra looks cool, but I've never used it. To me it looks like a lesser version of Phaseplant.

Do you do your own sound design or do you mostly use presets or start with presets and tweek? I think that should play heavily into your decision. I'm in the 'most synths can cover most generas camp', so having a workflow you like is the most important thing.

For me (psy, DNB, Dub) Vital and Phaseplant have the best workflow, but they are built for sound designing from scratch rather than starting from presets, though you can certainly do that too.

vurt
addled muppet weed
99531 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:39 am

passing time between waking and sleeping.
if you don't want me to destroy you
take a leaf out of my book, turn it round and have a look...

revvy
KVRAF
3707 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Post Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:53 am

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:39 am passing time between wanking and sleeping.
😮
I lost my heart in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

vurt
addled muppet weed
99531 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:02 am

revvy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:53 am
vurt wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:39 am passing time between wanking and sleeping.
😮
just be glad it's the synth bit that goes on youtubes!
if you don't want me to destroy you
take a leaf out of my book, turn it round and have a look...

DCrown
KVRian
576 posts since 1 Jul, 2021

Post Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:13 am

billinder33 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:07 am
kPere wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:28 am As black friday sales are slowly comming to light some may be tempted to get a new synth, like myself for example.
I don't have many, never got any serious one - and by my surprise I'm struggling to find information on what are given synths good at.

I mean I'd be happy to see from you guys, who are more experienced in synthesis and have worked on some synths - what are your thoughts on the ones you own or used to own?

To be more exact, I heard that Zebra being a workhorse and capable of making pretty much anything you want, but is good for cinematic sounds, pads etc.
Is someone working on more pop souding music have any reasons to invest in Zebra and it's workflow? Or maybe there is some other synth that'd be more pleasure to work with in that direction.
Subjective matters aside, but I'm sure you guys could share some insight on some synths you've got.
Zebra looks cool, but I've never used it. To me it looks like a lesser version of Phaseplant.

Do you do your own sound design or do you mostly use presets or start with presets and tweek? I think that should play heavily into your decision. I'm in the 'most synths can cover most generas camp', so having a workflow you like is the most important thing.

For me (psy, DNB, Dub) Vital and Phaseplant have the best workflow, but they are built for sound designing from scratch rather than starting from presets, though you can certainly do that too.
The best synth for making own presets is Avenger to me, I am still learning the synth, so many good features for endless creativity. Don't let the sound demos or expansions give you a wrong image of the synth, they are rather one-sided focused on electronic music, but there are no limits.
There are VA Shapes, Freeform, Wavetables, (Multi-) Samples, Granular and Drumkits and it all can be combined.
The first plugin that immediately blew my mind when I first demoed it and I am not even very much into edm, techno or house.
Easy to understand synth, well, each synth needs some time and great workflow imo.
Just demo some synths and find out what works best for you.

Not sure if I replied to kPere, but doesn't matter.

kPere
KVRist
Topic Starter
269 posts since 15 Mar, 2021

Post Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:29 am

billinder33 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:07 am
kPere wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:28 am As black friday sales are slowly comming to light some may be tempted to get a new synth, like myself for example.
I don't have many, never got any serious one - and by my surprise I'm struggling to find information on what are given synths good at.

I mean I'd be happy to see from you guys, who are more experienced in synthesis and have worked on some synths - what are your thoughts on the ones you own or used to own?

To be more exact, I heard that Zebra being a workhorse and capable of making pretty much anything you want, but is good for cinematic sounds, pads etc.
Is someone working on more pop souding music have any reasons to invest in Zebra and it's workflow? Or maybe there is some other synth that'd be more pleasure to work with in that direction.
Subjective matters aside, but I'm sure you guys could share some insight on some synths you've got.
Zebra looks cool, but I've never used it. To me it looks like a lesser version of Phaseplant.

Do you do your own sound design or do you mostly use presets or start with presets and tweek? I think that should play heavily into your decision. I'm in the 'most synths can cover most generas camp', so having a workflow you like is the most important thing.

For me (psy, DNB, Dub) Vital and Phaseplant have the best workflow, but they are built for sound designing from scratch rather than starting from presets, though you can certainly do that too.
I'm definitely a preset/preset tweaker guy. Sometimes in between actual production I like to create some sounds from scratch, but thats on the side.

Anyways, I ended up with Synthmaster 2 with everything bundle. And am totally amazed by quality of it's sound and all of the presets! Really amazing. 80% of presets are straight up great and ready to use. Sound really deep. Deleted all the other synths and no looking back. Really underrated instrument.

j wazza
KVRian
598 posts since 5 Oct, 2020

Post Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:07 am

usually electronic music except for when i turn them off

billinder33
KVRist
39 posts since 22 Jan, 2022

Post Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:56 am

DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:13 am
billinder33 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:07 am
kPere wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:28 am As black friday sales are slowly comming to light some may be tempted to get a new synth, like myself for example.
I don't have many, never got any serious one - and by my surprise I'm struggling to find information on what are given synths good at.

I mean I'd be happy to see from you guys, who are more experienced in synthesis and have worked on some synths - what are your thoughts on the ones you own or used to own?

To be more exact, I heard that Zebra being a workhorse and capable of making pretty much anything you want, but is good for cinematic sounds, pads etc.
Is someone working on more pop souding music have any reasons to invest in Zebra and it's workflow? Or maybe there is some other synth that'd be more pleasure to work with in that direction.
Subjective matters aside, but I'm sure you guys could share some insight on some synths you've got.
Zebra looks cool, but I've never used it. To me it looks like a lesser version of Phaseplant.

Do you do your own sound design or do you mostly use presets or start with presets and tweek? I think that should play heavily into your decision. I'm in the 'most synths can cover most generas camp', so having a workflow you like is the most important thing.

For me (psy, DNB, Dub) Vital and Phaseplant have the best workflow, but they are built for sound designing from scratch rather than starting from presets, though you can certainly do that too.
The best synth for making own presets is Avenger to me, I am still learning the synth, so many good features for endless creativity. Don't let the sound demos or expansions give you a wrong image of the synth, they are rather one-sided focused on electronic music, but there are no limits.
There are VA Shapes, Freeform, Wavetables, (Multi-) Samples, Granular and Drumkits and it all can be combined.
The first plugin that immediately blew my mind when I first demoed it and I am not even very much into edm, techno or house.
Easy to understand synth, well, each synth needs some time and great workflow imo.
Just demo some synths and find out what works best for you.

Not sure if I replied to kPere, but doesn't matter.
Are Vengance Sound plugins still dongle dependent? I was really interested in Phalanx, but the whole dongle thing drove me away.

DCrown
KVRian
576 posts since 1 Jul, 2021

Post Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:06 pm

billinder33 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:56 am
DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:13 am
billinder33 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:07 am
kPere wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:28 am As black friday sales are slowly comming to light some may be tempted to get a new synth, like myself for example.
I don't have many, never got any serious one - and by my surprise I'm struggling to find information on what are given synths good at.

I mean I'd be happy to see from you guys, who are more experienced in synthesis and have worked on some synths - what are your thoughts on the ones you own or used to own?

To be more exact, I heard that Zebra being a workhorse and capable of making pretty much anything you want, but is good for cinematic sounds, pads etc.
Is someone working on more pop souding music have any reasons to invest in Zebra and it's workflow? Or maybe there is some other synth that'd be more pleasure to work with in that direction.
Subjective matters aside, but I'm sure you guys could share some insight on some synths you've got.
Zebra looks cool, but I've never used it. To me it looks like a lesser version of Phaseplant.

Do you do your own sound design or do you mostly use presets or start with presets and tweek? I think that should play heavily into your decision. I'm in the 'most synths can cover most generas camp', so having a workflow you like is the most important thing.

For me (psy, DNB, Dub) Vital and Phaseplant have the best workflow, but they are built for sound designing from scratch rather than starting from presets, though you can certainly do that too.
The best synth for making own presets is Avenger to me, I am still learning the synth, so many good features for endless creativity. Don't let the sound demos or expansions give you a wrong image of the synth, they are rather one-sided focused on electronic music, but there are no limits.
There are VA Shapes, Freeform, Wavetables, (Multi-) Samples, Granular and Drumkits and it all can be combined.
The first plugin that immediately blew my mind when I first demoed it and I am not even very much into edm, techno or house.
Easy to understand synth, well, each synth needs some time and great workflow imo.
Just demo some synths and find out what works best for you.

Not sure if I replied to kPere, but doesn't matter.
Are Vengance Sound plugins still dongle dependent? I was really interested in Phalanx, but the whole dongle thing drove me away.
No dongle any more, simply buy, download, install, register and it's done.
I only have Avenger btw!

billinder33
KVRist
39 posts since 22 Jan, 2022

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:09 am

DCrown wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:06 pm
billinder33 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:56 am Are Vengance Sound plugins still dongle dependent? I was really interested in Phalanx, but the whole dongle thing drove me away.
No dongle any more, simply buy, download, install, register and it's done.
I only have Avenger btw!
I ended up upgrading my NI Komplete and using Battery (the newest version of Komplete has tons of Battery content) which is similar to Phalanx, but now that the dongle is gone I'm definitely going to take a serious look at Avenger as my next synth and also Phalanx if I get sick of Battery.

Thanks for the info!

JS_SEA
KVRist
64 posts since 23 Jan, 2023

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:01 am

Hello
my list of synths would be
too long
I use a lot
Pigments, Viper, Avenger,
Diva, Vacuum PRO, Dexed
for
sound design, composing,
recording, just playing & relaxing
for
all kinds of different music

kv331
KVRAF
6360 posts since 14 Nov, 2006 from Ankara, Turkey

Post Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:30 am

kPere wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:29 am Anyways, I ended up with Synthmaster 2 with everything bundle. And am totally amazed by quality of it's sound and all of the presets! Really amazing. 80% of presets are straight up great and ready to use. Sound really deep. Deleted all the other synths and no looking back. Really underrated instrument.
Thanks so much :hug: If you liked SynthMaster 2, I am 100% sure you'll love SynthMaster 3!
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

Dust_NL
KVRist
42 posts since 7 Jan, 2021

Post Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:09 am

kv331 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:30 am Thanks so much :hug: If you liked SynthMaster 2, I am 100% sure you'll love SynthMaster 3!
Yeah Bulent, now you’ve got me really excited. Can’t wait until late September. Hope it’s not going to be postponed until holiday season, like you mentioned in your update thread.

Great to see the direction you’re going with SM!
At the beginning of something beautiful...

kPere
KVRist
Topic Starter
269 posts since 15 Mar, 2021

Post Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:10 am

Dust_NL wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:09 am
kv331 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:30 am Thanks so much :hug: If you liked SynthMaster 2, I am 100% sure you'll love SynthMaster 3!
Yeah Bulent, now you’ve got me really excited. Can’t wait until late September. Hope it’s not going to be postponed until holiday season, like you mentioned in your update thread.

Great to see the direction you’re going with SM!
So it's suppose to come late september? Is it going to be a paid upgrade? Probably too early to ask, just wondering.

Dust_NL
KVRist
42 posts since 7 Jan, 2021

Post Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:04 am

kPere wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:10 am
So it's suppose to come late september? Is it going to be a paid upgrade? Probably too early to ask, just wondering.
Bulent has started a thread with all the latest info about SM3:

viewtopic.php?t=592609
At the beginning of something beautiful...

Return to “Instruments”