Typical use of your synths aka what kind of music do you make with a synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kPere wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:28 am As black friday sales are slowly comming to light some may be tempted to get a new synth, like myself for example.
I don't have many, never got any serious one - and by my surprise I'm struggling to find information on what are given synths good at.

I mean I'd be happy to see from you guys, who are more experienced in synthesis and have worked on some synths - what are your thoughts on the ones you own or used to own?

To be more exact, I heard that Zebra being a workhorse and capable of making pretty much anything you want, but is good for cinematic sounds, pads etc.
Is someone working on more pop souding music have any reasons to invest in Zebra and it's workflow? Or maybe there is some other synth that'd be more pleasure to work with in that direction.
Subjective matters aside, but I'm sure you guys could share some insight on some synths you've got.
Zebra looks cool, but I've never used it. To me it looks like a lesser version of Phaseplant.

Do you do your own sound design or do you mostly use presets or start with presets and tweek? I think that should play heavily into your decision. I'm in the 'most synths can cover most generas camp', so having a workflow you like is the most important thing.

For me (psy, DNB, Dub) Vital and Phaseplant have the best workflow, but they are built for sound designing from scratch rather than starting from presets, though you can certainly do that too.

passing time between waking and sleeping.

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:39 pm passing time between wanking and sleeping.
😮
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:53 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:39 pm passing time between wanking and sleeping.
😮
just be glad it's the synth bit that goes on youtubes!

billinder33 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:07 pm
kPere wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:28 am As black friday sales are slowly comming to light some may be tempted to get a new synth, like myself for example.
I don't have many, never got any serious one - and by my surprise I'm struggling to find information on what are given synths good at.

I mean I'd be happy to see from you guys, who are more experienced in synthesis and have worked on some synths - what are your thoughts on the ones you own or used to own?

To be more exact, I heard that Zebra being a workhorse and capable of making pretty much anything you want, but is good for cinematic sounds, pads etc.
Is someone working on more pop souding music have any reasons to invest in Zebra and it's workflow? Or maybe there is some other synth that'd be more pleasure to work with in that direction.
Subjective matters aside, but I'm sure you guys could share some insight on some synths you've got.
Zebra looks cool, but I've never used it. To me it looks like a lesser version of Phaseplant.

Do you do your own sound design or do you mostly use presets or start with presets and tweek? I think that should play heavily into your decision. I'm in the 'most synths can cover most generas camp', so having a workflow you like is the most important thing.

For me (psy, DNB, Dub) Vital and Phaseplant have the best workflow, but they are built for sound designing from scratch rather than starting from presets, though you can certainly do that too.
The best synth for making own presets is Avenger to me, I am still learning the synth, so many good features for endless creativity. Don't let the sound demos or expansions give you a wrong image of the synth, they are rather one-sided focused on electronic music, but there are no limits.
There are VA Shapes, Freeform, Wavetables, (Multi-) Samples, Granular and Drumkits and it all can be combined.
The first plugin that immediately blew my mind when I first demoed it and I am not even very much into edm, techno or house.
Easy to understand synth, well, each synth needs some time and great workflow imo.
Just demo some synths and find out what works best for you.

Not sure if I replied to kPere, but doesn't matter.

I'm definitely a preset/preset tweaker guy. Sometimes in between actual production I like to create some sounds from scratch, but thats on the side.

Anyways, I ended up with Synthmaster 2 with everything bundle. And am totally amazed by quality of it's sound and all of the presets! Really amazing. 80% of presets are straight up great and ready to use. Sound really deep. Deleted all the other synths and no looking back. Really underrated instrument.

usually electronic music except for when i turn them off

DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:13 pm

The best synth for making own presets is Avenger to me, I am still learning the synth, so many good features for endless creativity. Don't let the sound demos or expansions give you a wrong image of the synth, they are rather one-sided focused on electronic music, but there are no limits.
There are VA Shapes, Freeform, Wavetables, (Multi-) Samples, Granular and Drumkits and it all can be combined.
The first plugin that immediately blew my mind when I first demoed it and I am not even very much into edm, techno or house.
Easy to understand synth, well, each synth needs some time and great workflow imo.

Are Vengance Sound plugins still dongle dependent? I was really interested in Phalanx, but the whole dongle thing drove me away.

billinder33 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:56 pm
DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:13 pm

Are Vengance Sound plugins still dongle dependent? I was really interested in Phalanx, but the whole dongle thing drove me away.
No dongle any more, simply buy, download, install, register and it's done.
I only have Avenger btw!

DCrown wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:06 pm
billinder33 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:56 pm Are Vengance Sound plugins still dongle dependent? I was really interested in Phalanx, but the whole dongle thing drove me away.
No dongle any more, simply buy, download, install, register and it's done.
I only have Avenger btw!
I ended up upgrading my NI Komplete and using Battery (the newest version of Komplete has tons of Battery content) which is similar to Phalanx, but now that the dongle is gone I'm definitely going to take a serious look at Avenger as my next synth and also Phalanx if I get sick of Battery.

Thanks for the info!

Hello
my list of synths would be
too long
I use a lot
Pigments, Viper, Avenger,
Diva, Vacuum PRO, Dexed
for
sound design, composing,
recording, just playing & relaxing
for
all kinds of different music

kPere wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:29 am Anyways, I ended up with Synthmaster 2 with everything bundle. And am totally amazed by quality of it's sound and all of the presets! Really amazing. 80% of presets are straight up great and ready to use. Sound really deep. Deleted all the other synths and no looking back. Really underrated instrument.
Thanks so much :hug: If you liked SynthMaster 2, I am 100% sure you'll love SynthMaster 3!
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

kv331 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:30 am Thanks so much :hug: If you liked SynthMaster 2, I am 100% sure you'll love SynthMaster 3!
Yeah Bulent, now you’ve got me really excited. Can’t wait until late September. Hope it’s not going to be postponed until holiday season, like you mentioned in your update thread.

Great to see the direction you’re going with SM!
At the beginning of something beautiful...

Dust_NL wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:09 am
kv331 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:30 am Thanks so much :hug: If you liked SynthMaster 2, I am 100% sure you'll love SynthMaster 3!
Yeah Bulent, now you’ve got me really excited. Can’t wait until late September. Hope it’s not going to be postponed until holiday season, like you mentioned in your update thread.

Great to see the direction you’re going with SM!
So it's suppose to come late september? Is it going to be a paid upgrade? Probably too early to ask, just wondering.

kPere wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:10 am
So it's suppose to come late september? Is it going to be a paid upgrade? Probably too early to ask, just wondering.
Bulent has started a thread with all the latest info about SM3:

viewtopic.php?t=592609
At the beginning of something beautiful...

Return to “Instruments”