Plugins You Won't Buy Because Of Their Copy Protection / Issues

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You enter a shop to buy an item: "Hello f**king thief, you're not trying to steal our stuff huh?
No? Sure? ok, enjoy renting with us, thief. Thank you but remember, don't resell it or make a copy product ok? we'll send someone to check how you use your purchase every day, it will cost you additionnal $ Enjoy our product thief."

I'm not responsible for piracy, and my money and loyalty go to hassle-free buisnesses that trust their paying customers.
$-> serial -> Enjoy
No rent or i-Glock or e-cuffs something.
Native access is the farthest i'll go, and even these feel like bloatwares at times.

Besides in this oversaturated market, there are so many alternatives for everything...
You don't want my money because in your eyes, i'm guilty until proven innocent, ok, your loss, someone else will accept it...

Meanwhile people pirating stuff giggling...
A simple google search shows how useless these "protections" are...
Last edited by Daru925 on Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antares is pretty horrible. They are the only one left using CodeMeter, I think. CodeMeter is really buggy. Antares support stopped answering me after I sent them a crash report. Somehow CodeMeter also managed to increase my Mac's boot time. :evil:
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

Id never let some copy protection stop me from getting what I want.

you mean that you're simply cracking that stuff? :party:
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Any alternative to komplete for real instruments such violas and guitars and nexus for good ready to use sounds, that use serials or key file only?

wangeroge wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:01 am Antares is pretty horrible. They are the only one left using CodeMeter, I think. CodeMeter is really buggy. Antares support stopped answering me after I sent them a crash report. Somehow CodeMeter also managed to increase my Mac's boot time. :evil:
I just installed Antares Vocal Compressor (as it was part of the Autotune Unlimited subscription) and CodeMeter crashed and doesn't seem to be coming back. So far, Antares has written back about 4-5 times, but I'm getting the impression that the last person handling the last two notes wasn't reading what I wrote him back.

Does anyone know: do they have a phone number? The weird thing is that I know that this is probably really a WIBU CodeMeter problem, but Antares has to own their decisions regarding copy protection until we are sure it wasn't a problem caused by the new attempt at installation.

For me, CodeMeter is the worst; I've had it on Reason, Avenger, and Antares. It's not a question of "if there's going to be a problem" with CodeMeter, the question is "when will there be a problem." I've never had an issue with iLok or eLicenser, but I'm there-for-three with CodeMeter on Reason, Avenger, and Antares. I was so happy when Avenger dropped CodeMeter and it seems that Reason can run without it. I may ask about going back to iLok with Antares, even if I have to lose the use of a couple of apps. AutoTune, MicMod EFX and AVOX 4 should be able to run without it (I think) and that would be fine.

In many waays, Antares has been great to me as a customer, so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but CodeMeter is definitely trying my patience (which is saying something as I'm an extremely patient individual.)
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

Frankie.T wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:28 pm Any alternative to komplete for real instruments such violas and guitars and nexus for good ready to use sounds, that use serials or key file only?
I know it isn't exactly your question but Friktion is a physical modelling synth with crazy accurate and realistic guitars and viola. More realistic than sampler in my view because of the expression capabilities. It is really a must have for me.

If you have any doubt:
https://youtu.be/o970fjWqIyc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmgGYJGP9k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS784gmCCR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6zJfLqfrY0&t=863s

To me, in these examples of intensive strings use, we can see how excellent physical modelling can blow sampling out of the water (and then you save terabytes on your hard drive).

Hit’n’Mix RipX needs to call home every 5th time it’s started or it gets deactivated. On the 4th run with Internet switched off user gets warning that they need to go online, else they will not be able to use it. It’s a stupid choice of copy protection for a software whose stem unmixing tool is based on the free open source Demucs. Getting that instead of RipX DeepRemix might be a better and free option.

Also Leapwing Audio needs to call home at least once every 30 days, or your plugin gets deactivated: https://www.leapwingaudio.com/support/d ... e-plugins/

I’d just skip the products of both companies.
Monitors: HS7 / Mixing: Cubase Pro 13 / Mastering: WaveLab Pro 11.2 / Sound Design: Live 12 Suite

marina wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:05 am Hit’n’Mix RipX needs to call home every 5th time it’s started or it gets deactivated. On the 4th run with Internet switched off user gets warning that they need to go online, else they will not be able to use it. It’s a stupid choice of copy protection for a software whose stem unmixing tool is based on the free open source Demucs. Getting that instead of RipX DeepRemix might be a better and free option.

What??

Oh dear , that was on my radar. Damn, rubbish system.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Frankie.T wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:28 pm Any alternative to komplete for real instruments such violas and guitars and nexus for good ready to use sounds, that use serials or key file only?
there are sample libraries out there in sfz format, such as the karoryfer samples ones designed for the sforzando player. and there are some that use the hise sample player, though some of these have their own C/R copy protection. there's not exactly a wide range though.

Jac459 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:40 am I know it isn't exactly your question but Friktion is a physical modelling synth with crazy accurate and realistic guitars and viola. More realistic than sampler in my view because of the expression capabilities. It is really a must have for me.
reason is now also online C/R copy protection so that's going to be a problem for the person you're replying to.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:38 am Id never let some copy protection stop me from getting what I want.
i remember back in the day, universal audio deliberately corrupting the CD bitstream on their discs as a form of copy protection. that did stop me getting what i wanted because half the time the CDs were unplayable in a regular CD player.

ironically, they'd often rip successfully to mp3 in a computer's drive (even though the data corruption was meant to mess up the computer's drive – a lot depended on who made the drive and how robust it was when it had a lot of errors thrown at it).

i also have some plugins that can no longer be authorised because the C/R server has gone dark or because they were machine locked and the company has stopped supporting them.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:00 am
Jac459 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:40 am I know it isn't exactly your question but Friktion is a physical modelling synth with crazy accurate and realistic guitars and viola. More realistic than sampler in my view because of the expression capabilities. It is really a must have for me.
reason is now also online C/R copy protection so that's going to be a problem for the person you're replying to.
Yes but reason can live for a long while without Internet.

dlandis wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:43 am
wangeroge wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:01 am Antares is pretty horrible. They are the only one left using CodeMeter, I think. CodeMeter is really buggy. Antares support stopped answering me after I sent them a crash report. Somehow CodeMeter also managed to increase my Mac's boot time. :evil:
I just installed Antares Vocal Compressor (as it was part of the Autotune Unlimited subscription) and CodeMeter crashed and doesn't seem to be coming back. So far, Antares has written back about 4-5 times, but I'm getting the impression that the last person handling the last two notes wasn't reading what I wrote him back.

Does anyone know: do they have a phone number? The weird thing is that I know that this is probably really a WIBU CodeMeter problem, but Antares has to own their decisions regarding copy protection until we are sure it wasn't a problem caused by the new attempt at installation.

For me, CodeMeter is the worst; I've had it on Reason, Avenger, and Antares. It's not a question of "if there's going to be a problem" with CodeMeter, the question is "when will there be a problem." I've never had an issue with iLok or eLicenser, but I'm there-for-three with CodeMeter on Reason, Avenger, and Antares. I was so happy when Avenger dropped CodeMeter and it seems that Reason can run without it. I may ask about going back to iLok with Antares, even if I have to lose the use of a couple of apps. AutoTune, MicMod EFX and AVOX 4 should be able to run without it (I think) and that would be fine.
I managed to "solve" the issue. I deactivated all Antares licenses and deinstalled everything from them. Then I deinstalled everything from CodeMeter. I think you need to get rid of the old stuff from Reason etc. Still my computer wasn't working right. There were creepy boot errors in the log. So I upgraded to macOS Ventura. It was a horrible upgrade with a boot loop, but it worked at the second try. I DIDN'T install anything from Antares or CodeMeter. And I will keep it like that.

There are Autotune clones from Waves, Melda, Plugin Alliance and in Nectar from iZotope. And if you need the real Autotune you can get it as UAD with another copy protection (Apollo hardware). If you buy UA hardware, please send me a PM. I can get you a free plugin with refer-a-friend.
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

xils (I'd have bought the full VCS-3 emulation by now): I can't get iLok to install on my PC for some unknown reason and can't be bothered to spend time trying to get it to. I have better things to do with my life.

Periodic callbacks are fine with me as long as they don't slow things down too much when instantiating them in a project.

Return to “Instruments”