One Synth Challenge #169: kHs ONE (mmGhost Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mike777 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:07 am Can someone tell me if I have khs One set as one instance in Studio One 6? Say I have three instrument midi tracks.

Hello Mike777,
kHs One is very good for one instance tracks.
This is a small example how to make such a track in Studio One.
I hope I could help you with this ;)

https://soundcloud.com/user-221952934-5 ... al_sharing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Juergen wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:38 am
Mike777 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:07 am Can someone tell me if I have khs One set as one instance in Studio One 6? Say I have three instrument midi tracks.

Hello Mike777,
kHs One is very good for one instance tracks.
This is a small example how to make such a track in Studio One.
I hope I could help you with this ;)

Juergen thanks! I opened the .song file and see what you did. It's one instance and the 4 tracks are playing the same patch. So single instance means you can only play one preset? I thought there might be a way to use multiple instrument banks, like you do on an external hardware synth? And then use different presets on different tracks, but still a 'single instance'?

Playing along by the rules but not entering...
2nd song.

Mix 4...
https://soundcloud.com/awen22/hope4ever ... al_sharing

Mix 2...
https://soundcloud.com/awen22/hope4ever ... al_sharing

I would like to know if Mix 4 is as good as Mix 2?

(8 in Mix 4) Tracks/Instances of kHs ONE (6 in Mix 2). All stock presets from across the various Banks. I do not remember tweaking anything.
(10 in Mix 4) Effects kHs Compressor, kHs Comb Filter, kHs Ensemble, kHs Dynamics, kHs 3-Band-Eq(2x), kHs Haas, kHs Chorus, kHs Delay, kHs Reverb. With custom settings.
Fruity Limiter on master
DAW = FL Studio 20 All Plugins Edition.

I would like to say thank you to kHs for the excellent instrument and effects, both are high quality and extreemly clear sounding. Suprised that the effects were no matter how you tweak them.

They both sound ok hope4ever.

empphryio wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:23 pm They both sound ok hope4ever.
Thanks for listening and your answer.
:)

Well, the goal when the OSC track is posted here is to make no further changes to it. I really failed at that this time around. Perhaps in part because I hadn't made anything in 6 months. Anyway I made substantial changes since I posted it. Sorry to those who already listened. Perhaps just wait till April 1st and then give it a listen...?

This synth frustrated me. Couldn't figure out a lead for one part. Kept making a lead and melody and the next day deciding it was terrible. And so I would make a new lead and new melody. And repeat like maybe 5 times. Finally I made something that the next day I still liked. And I was so sick of the synth I posted it.

...But then the day after that I woke and thought it was awful. (Correctly thought it was awful. Goes against the emotion of it, just ugly filler). And then made more and more and more changes. Oh well.

I'm quite happy with it now but probably some people won't even listen to the new version. Whatever. My mistake to post it too soon.

empphryio,
If thats your new song posted at Post Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:44 pm here I just listened its a great song.
Very nature like sounds with the animal / frog etc.
But it could also be a sci-fi alien world setting too.
It does seem to take you on a journey, cool text too.
I like the animal noises, i like the long chords they are epic sounding. the bass later on is cool. the flute like noise at end is ok. First part of piano is very good.
That is what stands out to me, cool song.

empphryio,
You can make changes up to end of month even after posting it here. However, if you don't have Soundcloud Pro you have to upload a new version on Soundcloud and make a new post here and announce it's an updated entry. Delete the old one on Soundcloud and it will go away on your first post. You can do this several times if you want. It's ok to do that.

So you can still work on your entry until you are satisfied up to end of month. That's the end date. Not when you post here. I find I almost always post too soon and have already make at least 10 updates.

What matters is your final entry. That's what everyone will play when voting. Your piece has some nice sections!

--- Submission ---

Here is my song submission. A lighthearted synth chillout instrumental. :)

I used 13 instances of khs One synth inside of Reaper. All any effects were part of khs free Essential Snap-ins I got a little while back, or from within the khs One synthesizer.

https://soundcloud.com/vaisnava/vata44- ... ontest-169

Juergen thanks! I opened the .song file and see what you did. It's one instance and the 4 tracks are playing the same patch. So single instance means you can only play one preset? I thought there might be a way to use multiple instrument banks, like you do on an external hardware synth? And then use different presets on different tracks, but still a 'single instance'?
Hello Mike777,
sorry for the late answer.
If I understood you correctly, you mean different layers of the same synth with different presets?
But multiple layers of the same synth, as I understand it, would then be multiple instances of the same synth and it would therefore no longer be a One Instance track.
You can of course change the presets during the song via automation to get more variation in your song.
This is a simple example of such a track.

You can download the Studio One file of the song with this link:
https://c.web.de/@334286820873345760/1B ... VhvbRJ1Kqg

During the song I change the preset several times using the program change function.
This is of course only a simple example and needs a lot of work to make the track sounds better.

Have a nice day

Jürgen

Hi everyone,
Winter is a really busy time, but I didn't want to miss another round, so this is…

---Submission---

WET SHOES

https://soundcloud.com/zio-mau/ziomau-w ... al_sharing

...where in Cockos Reaper 5.99 i used...

- VSTi:
Khs - ONE x 17

- VST fx:
Cockos - ReaEq x 8
Cockos - ReaComp x 6
Valhalla - Supermassive x 7
Khs - Filter x 1
Khs - Trance Gate x 1
Khs - Haas x 1
Rothmann - Air x 1
Voxengo - Msed x 1
Melda Prod. - MBandpass x 2
Tal - Dub x 1
WOK - D-Arp x1
Denis Tihanov - Oril River x 1

- MIDI fx:
midi note filter (JS) x 6
midi velocity control x 1
Cockos - ReaControl midi x 2

- master ch VST:
Analog Obsession - Buster se
Lkjb - QRange
Tokyo Dawn Labs - TDR Nova
Thomas Mundt - Loudmax

- metering VST:
Youlean - Loudness meter
Voxengo - Span
Melda Prod. - MStereoScope

...hope you like it.

Thank you admins as always for this amazing challange and thank you users for great friendship (you missed me these months)

Ciaooooo !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ZioMau on Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

doctorbob wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:40 pm Here's my entry. Sorry it's a bit crude, but I don't have the energy and sitting down for any length of time is painful ... so here goes ...

DAW: Reaper
Track Details: 9 * kHs ONE, 8 * ReaEQ, 1 * Bass Professor Mark II, 4 * Oril River, 1 * Pecheneg Tremolo, 3 * OTT
Master: TDR VOS SlickEQ, FerricTDSMKII, Voxengo MSED, Limiter No.6
Meter: SPAN, Youlean Loudness Meter
Stats: LUFS: -13.9, DR: 7

Enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/operat ... 69-khs-one
Cool track doctorbob! Great guitar-esque sound/playing. If sitting is painful for you, have you considered getting a standing desk? I got a motorized one and it's been helpful for reducing pain.

BRAMFX wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:57 am
Taron wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:21 am
BRAMFX wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:13 pm Here's a test track:
https://soundcloud.com/bramdelebam/dawn

To get a chopped and screwed feel on the drums (and some other tracks) I would switch reverb buses before every "cut" so that the ambience is always reset rather than bleeding into the next one... though this effect is slightly undermined by the delay that follows right afterwards.

P.S.
Does anyone have advice on making good snare patches from subtractive synths?
Sounds like you're pretty good at handling percussion there. Feels like there's a great snare in there brewing already.
However, there are a number of different snare archetypes, so to say, and you'd have to know which one you want.
I often go with the snappy short snares, well playable with velocity to get both strong hits and good ghost hits, too, using just one instance. Trick is to keep it tight, use velocity on amp and filters, while this one even allows envelope adjustments, but with 3 mod slots you have to be smart about it.
Three major direct components to practically all snares:
• stick hit (where ever on the drum you want it to hit)
• tonal body
• snare rattle (or noise)
One more component I love, but can be neglected is the "ringing"...but if you can put it in there, it'll really make a snare shine. Not always easy with a single instance like I like it.

You can use filters to also shape the envelope of it, of course, but also the aggression.

Anyway, I'm absolutely enjoying to work with this synth. Not only does it sound solid, but it's also rather light on my CPU, which I love! After VM this is quite a relaxing exercise... :pray:

Here's a quick first test, just getting my feet wet with this little beauty...

KhzONE01.mp3
Thanks for the advice. I've been incrementally filling the velocity slots to get more articulation, like making the attack slower when the velocity is diminished, but I'm struggling with accents and getting that altered pitch effect. I'll definitely have to do more research on stick hits and the other things you mentioned. I can't even imagine what mechanism causes certain snares to rattle so that's for sure something I gotta look into. A lot of things to do...

Anyways, here's an attempt at replicating the amen break:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/cqwh6nw5roq3qc ... im%204.wav
Those drums sound great! You were able to get some nice nuance/variety to the various drums. Do you mind sharing how you made those drums?

emCar wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:41 am Cool track doctorbob! Great guitar-esque sound/playing. If sitting is painful for you, have you considered getting a standing desk? I got a motorized one and it's been helpful for reducing pain.
Thanks. It's just the recovery from surgery which takes time. Infections and blocked catheters have been the order of the day. Slowly getting better, but just have to avoid situations where the pain is provoked (like sitting for periods of time). Add to that an injection into my eyeball, that doesn't help my sight :-( in the short term (also painful!!!)
Glad you liked the track.

dB

【Submission】
I H A T E
https://on.soundcloud.com/mxPt2

Not a neuro-whatever automation guiness world record attempt. neither a track that makes for the intellectual track of the year award. just plain stupid 4-on-the-floor as always ... hopefully with a solid mix. Only thing I tried is to make the tempo somehow relate to my base note frequency ... I thought this might help to get a more constant-phase waveform for the kick ... na, did not work out as good as expected. I used ISOL8 to spend many seconds in getting a clean and driving low end... solo mixing low end up to 140Hz is my new hobby.

Around 40 Instances of KHS One
I have dared to not use all KHS free FX, I sticked mostly with Bitcrush, Hass and the Distortions. I don't own any commercial KHS Fx so none of these either.
On top of these the usual Bitwig aramda of stuff
Worth mentioning: ISOL8, Loudmax (subtle), Master_Me
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”