Is there a good emulation of AKAI Timbre Wolf?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

D-Fusion wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:32 pm It is a Analog synth so it must be good no matter what other people say and it beats all Vst's in terms of sound and features :party:
More features? Who ever said that?

D-Fusion wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:32 pm It is a Analog synth so it must be good no matter what other people say and it beats all Vst's in terms of sound and features :party:
At least in terms of going out of tune :lol:
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:44 pm
More features? Who ever said that?
Sarcasm aimed at the Analog Purists ;)

D-Fusion wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:33 pm Sarcasm aimed at the Analog Purists ;)
Nothing wrong with analog purists. The more people posting online (about anything), the more bullshit (like calling personal preferences objective truths) that's being shared.

If someone really likes the AKAI Timbre Wolf: Awesome for them! Posting about it online, calling it better than something else is another matter.
And no, I don't think "this is my personal opinion" is implied. Only on a fictional (utopian?) forum full of rational people with great communication skills.

The Roland TB-303 was judged as crap synth when it first came out.
The rest is history.
And history repeats itself...

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:29 pm The Roland TB-303 was judged as crap synth when it first came out.
The rest is history.
The TB-303 was not judged as a "crap synth" when it first came out, it was judged as a "crap product" that failed at its intended used. It really wasn't viewed as a general purpose synth by, really, anyone. The TB-303, however, has interesting design properties that failed at what they intended to do but are interesting nonetheless. Those properties are why it has a unique sound and why it was eventually an in-demand unit.

What is technically unique about the Timbre Wolf? The only thing that really stands out to me is that it's like a really bad four-voice that can be used polyphonically. I doubt that's enough to elevate it to the status of the 303.

We'll see...

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:40 pm We'll see...
Sure, but, it was really easy to identify the technical properties of the 303 that made it useful at the time. Yes, someone used it in a particular way before anyone cared, but after that it was analyzed and discussed at length. I remember this in some detail, this was LONG before they shot up in value. You could buy a used 303 all night and all day for $300 at the time.

So, while it's easy for you to say "we'll see" as if you're saying that one can't know, I'm willing to bet that you will struggle to identify anything really unique about the Timbre Wolf technically. To be clear, there are many analogue synths that were much better products and that still are not worth very much as compared to their contemporaries. If anything, their value is really related to being a collector's item. The Super JX comes to mind here. The Super JX is far more interesting than the Timbre Wolf.

Another Akai spectacular analog failure was the AX-73. It at least has a usable keyboard, if not a bit wobbly after a bit, and a CEM3394, aka, the one voice wonder used in the Six-Track. A great condition one with an updated OLED screen and updated firmware is still going unsold (after three years) on Reverb for $900. That's for a vintage all analog synth from the mid to late eighties.

Average sold price on Ebay is probably around $650. That's way more than I'd pay for it, only collectors are paying that. There's really nothing special about it, I owned and played one live for a number of years. I used it only because it had a 73 key keyboard and I didn't give a shit if got beat up while playing live. It was mostly used to trigger my TG-500, but, I did play some silly analog strings patch from it.

Will the Timber Wolf sell for more than its original retail price just because it's analog, maybe, will someone discover from super secret about its shit circuitry and make a new genre, no.

you will be.

vurt wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:44 pm
you will be.

something, something daaaaark siiiiiide

vurt wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:48 pm something, something daaaaark siiiiiide
We have increased the howl, pray we do not increase it further...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vUYyHJFAjs

Seems like you could remake most of the sounds of the TW with any low pass filter and a wave shaper. I had an okay time playing with one of these and a bunch of Korg volca synth many years ago. You could build a very convincing sounding emulation of this in reaktor with a small bit of work.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:29 pm The Roland TB-303 was judged as crap synth when it first came out.
The rest is history.
Yup the 303 was widely panned because it was terrible at doing bass. And acid house wasn't invented yet.

Someone would have to invent a completely new genre around the Timberwolf to change peoples opinions about it.
Last edited by v1o on Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:11 pm
Sure, but, it was really easy to identify the technical properties of the 303 that made it useful at the time. Yes, someone used it in a particular way before anyone cared, but after that it was analyzed and discussed at length. I remember this in some detail, this was LONG before they shot up in value. You could buy a used 303 all night and all day for $300 at the time.

So, while it's easy for you to say "we'll see" as if you're saying that one can't know, I'm willing to bet that you will struggle to identify anything really unique about the Timbre Wolf technically. To be clear, there are many analogue synths that were much better products and that still are not worth very much as compared to their contemporaries. If anything, their value is really related to being a collector's item. The Super JX comes to mind here. The Super JX is far more interesting than the Timbre Wolf.

Another Akai spectacular analog failure was the AX-73. It at least has a usable keyboard, if not a bit wobbly after a bit, and a CEM3394, aka, the one voice wonder used in the Six-Track. A great condition one with an updated OLED screen and updated firmware is still going unsold (after three years) on Reverb for $900. That's for a vintage all analog synth from the mid to late eighties.

Average sold price on Ebay is probably around $650. That's way more than I'd pay for it, only collectors are paying that. There's really nothing special about it, I owned and played one live for a number of years. I used it only because it had a 73 key keyboard and I didn't give a shit if got beat up while playing live. It was mostly used to trigger my TG-500, but, I did play some silly analog strings patch from it.

Will the Timber Wolf sell for more than its original retail price just because it's analog, maybe, will someone discover from super secret about its shit circuitry and make a new genre, no.
This is the same company that made the M-Audio Venom. Another rubbish synth that offered noting unique technically. Its in their DNA to release rubbish.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”