Can anybody verify that Roland's Zenology works ok in Cubase 12?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm considering buying it but I read somewhere where somebody said he had problems with it in Cubase 12 but without any context. Just wondering if maybe it was the persons own problem with that or if it's a known issue with Zenology and Cubase 12.
tia!

I had issues with Zenology Pro in Cubase 12, although my issue was pretty well documented so it's probably someone else you're referring too. My problem was pretty severe as it would hang Cubase due to how the Zenology tone browser was implemented by Roland. With the new Zenology 2.0 update this is no longer an issue as the browser is now part of the main application. If you can live with having the cloud manager running in the background, Zenology Pro is actually pretty good now.

victoria wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:17 pm I had issues with Zenology Pro in Cubase 12, although my issue was pretty well documented so it's probably someone else you're referring too. My problem was pretty severe as it would hang Cubase due to how the Zenology tone browser was implemented by Roland. With the new Zenology 2.0 update this is no longer an issue as the browser is now part of the main application. If you can live with having the cloud manager running in the background, Zenology Pro is actually pretty good now.
Thanks for taking the time to respond Victoria. Much appreciated. I am curious though about this Cloud manager running in the background that you mentioned. Would you mind sharing what you mean by being willing to live with it? What's it doing that I would basically need to tolerate it?

dblock wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:33 pm Thanks for taking the time to respond Victoria. Much appreciated. I am curious though about this Cloud manager running in the background that you mentioned. Would you mind sharing what you mean by being willing to live with it? What's it doing that I would basically need to tolerate it?
It's (also) DRM that phones home (monthly I believe). The plugins stop working when a connection with Roland servers can't be established.

For me: I don't want subscriptions. And even the "permanent" licenses are relatively expensive. You pay a lot of money, yet they want you to prove it every month, "or else"... That's no way to treat your customers.
Last edited by T-CM11 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:44 pm
dblock wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:33 pm Thanks for taking the time to respond Victoria. Much appreciated. I am curious though about this Cloud manager running in the background that you mentioned. Would you mind sharing what you mean by being willing to live with it? What's it doing that I would basically need to tolerate it?
It's (also) DRM that phones home (monthly I believe). The plugins stop working when a connection with Roland servers can't be established.
Hey T-CM11. Thanks a lot for chiming in. You brought up a heck of a point. If you are saying that the Roland plugins depend on always being connected to outside servers in order to work, that would pretty much be a deal breaker for me full stop.

dblock wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:56 pm Hey T-CM11. Thanks a lot for chiming in. You brought up a heck of a point. If you are saying that the Roland plugins depend on always being connected to outside servers in order to work, that would pretty much be a deal breaker for me full stop.
Indeed! I added something to my post. :wink:

Looking at Roland's history of software support, I don't consider it far fetched that they pull the plug on the whole idea (including activation server). Maybe soon, 5, 10 years in the future - does it matter when?
I know, the risk exists for all online activated software, but it's even worse in this case.

For me: I don't want subscriptions. And even the "permanent" licenses are relatively expensive. You pay a lot of money, yet they want you to prove it every month, "or else"... That's no way to treat your customers.
I could be wrong but this sounds to me a little like ReFX Nexus which I quit using because if I remember correctly, I had to go online every few months and redo or update my license or something. I just remember thinking was ridiculous for me to have to do after buying the plugin.

dblock wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:04 pm

I could be wrong but this sounds to me a little like ReFX Nexus which I quit using because if I remember correctly, I had to go online every few months and redo or update my license or something. I just remember thinking it was ridiculous for me to have to do "anything" but update the plugin when the updates come out after buying it.

Yes it's exactly like that, but a lot more obnoxious. Whenever Zenology can't phone home it will actually open a popup and tell you about it. I use Nexus as well and, heh, if you had a problem with that then oh boy you're going to hate Roland Cloud so much :-D

victoria wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:12 pm Yes it's exactly like that, but a lot more obnoxious. Whenever Zenology can't phone home it will actually open a popup and tell you about it. I use Nexus as well and, heh, if you had a problem with that then oh boy you're going to hate Roland Cloud so much :-D
I wouldn't consider the popup itself as an obnoxious aspect. Imagine that the plugins would stop working without actually telling you why. :wink:

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:44 pm It's (also) DRM that phones home (monthly I believe). The plugins stop working when a connection with Roland servers can't be established
It actually phones home every hour or two - whether or not you have the Cloud Manager running! Why this much reporting to Roland? Dunno. Maybe they can explain..

You're correct that it otherwise needs to see Roland's servers once every 30 days for the software to continue to function.
wrote:I wouldn't consider the popup itself as an obnoxious aspect. Imagine that the plugins would stop working without actually telling you why. :wink:
But it's not doing this, otherwise it'd pop up every 30 days. It literally starts bitching when it can't see the internet because it (appears to be) constantly phoning home to Roland.
Last edited by PAK on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victoria wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:12 pm Yes it's exactly like that, but a lot more obnoxious. Whenever Zenology can't phone home it will actually open a popup and tell you about it. I use Nexus as well and, heh, if you had a problem with that then oh boy you're going to hate Roland Cloud so much :-D
I love your response.It's very helpful yet funny at the same time.I can just see it. I hate that kind of stuff. Thanks again for your input. You helped save me from the very kind of headache I try to avoid.

PAK wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:27 pm
T-CM11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:44 pm It's (also) DRM that phones home (monthly I believe). The plugins stop working when a connection with Roland servers can't be established
It actually phones home every hour or two - whether or not you have the Cloud Manager running! Why this much reporting to Roland? Dunno. Maybe they can explain..

You're correct that it otherwise needs to see Roland's servers once every 30 days for the software to continue to function.
wrote:I wouldn't consider the popup itself as an obnoxious aspect. Imagine that the plugins would stop working without actually telling you why. :wink:
But it's not doing this, otherwise it'd pop up every 30 days. It literally starts bitching when it can't see the internet because it (appears to be) constantly phoning home to Roland.
Thanks PAK! Each response keeps getting funnier but had I found out about this stuff after I paid for all that I would not be laughing.Who needs that? That's why I like KVR. Good people here.
Last edited by dblock on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:20 pm
I wouldn't consider the popup itself as an obnoxious aspect. Imagine that the plugins would stop working without actually telling you why. :wink:
The implementation is so stupid, like PAK said it phones home way too often - several times a day, and whenever it for whatever reason can't connect it will let you know "hey, I pooped my pants!" with an OK button. Thanks, real helpful Roland. It doesn't actually stop working until it has failed for a month, THEN I would have been OK with it letting me know, or a warning after 20 days or something. I have a lifetime key to Zenology Pro, and I really dig the new update, but the Roland Cloud DRM is just crap.

victoria wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:34 pm
T-CM11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:20 pm
The implementation is so stupid, like PAK said it phones home way too often - several times a day, and whenever it for whatever reason can't connect it will let you know "hey, I pooped my pants!" with an OK button. Thanks, real helpful Roland. It doesn't actually stop working until it has failed for a month, THEN I would have been OK with it letting me know, or a warning after 20 days or something. I have a lifetime key to Zenology Pro, and I really dig the new update, but the Roland Cloud DRM is just crap.
I really wanted to like Zenology but absolutely no way will I get it now and go through such an unnecessary hassle like that. You've been great Victoria. Thanks again! :tu: :tu:

Return to “Instruments”