RayBlaster - a radically different approach to sound generation.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RayBlaster

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:22 pm Is there also a full version available? I have a valid license for RB 2...
This one will be available when it is officially released.

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:22 pm Is there also a full version available? I have a valid license for RB 2...
Yeah, the demo message gets annoying quick... I'll wait until its released!

The demo has not longer have time limit. I removed it

But it talks to me all the time and can't save. I guess I leave beta testing for those who don't own it...

I have been interested in Rayblaster for some time now, I'm wondering what are key differences between Rayblaster and Icarus when it comes to adding your own samples to manipulate.

It does not seem to support MPE and the VST3 bends the pitch on aftertouch. RB 2 does this as well, so I suspect it does not interpret the pitch expressions coming from my LinnStrument script correctly.
Will the final version also come as CLAP? Maybe a simple voice per channel could get you into MPE land... I don't care if only a CLAP version could do the per voice modulation...
IF this would be based on CLAP, VST3 would be much easier to work correctly, as you could use the already existing wrapper...

twal wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 pm I have been interested in Rayblaster for some time now, I'm wondering what are key differences between Rayblaster and Icarus when it comes to adding your own samples to manipulate.
RayBlaster:

What is Impulse-Modeling-Synthesis (IMS)?

This innovative approach to sound generation goes far beyond traditional forms of synthesis. It offers a whole new world of sounds and enormous potential for producing creative modern music.
Many conventional synthesizers use a technique that is known as 'subtractive synthesis': An oscillator plays a looped waveform that is passed through a filter to shape the sound. In contrast, RayBlaster uses an entirely new approach to synthesis. It creates its distinctive sound with a convolution-based synthesis technique: Many short samples containing impulse responses are overlapped to create a complex sound. We named this innovative technique 'Impulse Modeling Synthesis' (IMS).
IMS can be considered a superset of granular synthesis. However, it does not suffer from its weaknesses like detuning, poor sound quality or many musically unusable sounds.

Icarus2:

Synthesis

The reviews in various audio-magazines proof that Icarus is one of the most versatile, impressive sounding synths on the market. The exceptionally powerful audio-engine is able to create all important synthesizer sounds in high-end quality. Icarus can do a gigantic amount of synthesis-methods: 3D wavetables, classic wavetables, resynthesis of samples, vocoder, additive, subtractive, analog, FM with up to 6 operators, formant synthesis, waveshaping, PWM, sync, ringmod, AM, noise, physical-modeling, phase-distortion, granular, time-stretching, pitch-shifting, samples, harmonic-morphing, FFT-filtering, lofi, import of custom waveforms and wavetables and many other innovative modes, exclusive to Icarus. Get instantly inspired by the massive number of fresh, original sounds and create tracks with unique and individual characteristics!
The sound-quality of Icarus easily surpasses conventional synths, but you don't need to own a high-end computer to be able to use it. The algorithms for this synthesizer were developed and optimized by an experienced DSP-expert. That's why Icarus offers the best possible sound quality together with low CPU demands.

Thank you for the feedback. I have taken care of many of your requests. A new beta is available:
Download link PC:
https://www.tone2.com/demo/Tone2_RayBla ... emo_PC.zip
Download link Mac:
https://www.tone2.com/demo/Tone2_RayBla ... mo_Mac.pkg

RayBlaster unveils a completely new dimension of sounds, exclusive to RayBlaster and absolutely impossible with other synths. The revolutionary Impulse Modeling Synthesis is not just a marketing buzzword - but a radically new and different approach to synthetic sound generation.

It's not that often that I come here and comment specifically on the quality of a synth, but I think Rayblaster deserves just this kind of attention.

Never thought it even to be a synth that would appeal to me, but I extensively demo'd the synth past week and proceeded to purchase this weekend. Even already used it in a track as well :) It indeed does really have a very big and solid sound. Great for leads/lead layers that need you'd need centralized in the mix, masssive growling brass/bas type of sounds and interesting pads are my impressions of what this synth's sweet spot is thus far. Have heard some nice plucky sounds in some of the preset demo's as well, but haven't done that much in that direction yet.

I often read here about synths with a 'particular' or 'distinguished' sound (mostly aimed at specific analog emulations and stuff) and while I don't deny any of such claims I must admit that Rayblaster truly sounds different than many of the subtractive/wavetable synths I've used. Also due to the alternative synthesis method I find myself experimenting more again (in contrast to the more 'traditional' synth), coming up with more unexpected sounds. Great stuff indeed.

It did take some time though to wrap my head a bit around the formant and damp controls (not sure I grasped the technicalities now) and got around using these controls to create 'filter-like' sweeps and modulations. Not sure if I miss a point here or whether it would be against the philosophy of this synth, but couldn't help thinking it might be interesting to add a filter fx type.

Lastly now that the plugin is being updated, one thing that I don't think is particulary great (or at least the audio demo's) are the preset packs available on the Tone2 website. Might be a side note for Markus to consider investing in some new ones to be added, more aligned with 'current-day' electronic music I guesss.

i don't think Rayblaster could replace a workhorse like Icarus,but definitely add something to the mix.
It feels different among other 'filtered' sounds i guess will shine in sort of ambient/experimental tracks.
I'M filter lover and lost interest making presetswh i,man never know when some abstract machine like it could be irreplacible.

Suggestion for the final update: don't install RayBlaster's additional files into the main preset folder. It gets cluttered. A dedicated folder in "Documents" would be better.

Return to “Instruments”