Is Equator 2 worth it? And is it safe to buy it from splice.com?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking of buying Equator 2. However, $249 is a bit too much for me to commit at once. I googled around and found this site: https://splice.com/plugins/39053110-equator2-au-by-roli. It offers a rent-to-own deal where I pay $11.99 monthly for 21 months.

The deal seems ideal to me, but is it legit? ROLI's official site doesn't mention splice.com so I'm not so sure. Also if I got my Equator2 from splice, could I still install sound packs from ROLI?

Another question: is Equator 2 worth it for you?

Splice are legit, not sure if the synth is worth it though.
What kind of sound and functions do you need from a synth?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

martiu wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:45 pm Splice are legit, not sure if the synth is worth it though.
It might sound a bit weird, but I got a used LinnStrument at a cheap price from a local second-hand market. I do play guitar (and a bit of piano), but I know rather little about digital music-making.

The official guide says I should use a synth with MPE support like Surge XT. I tried it a bit, but the sounds sound quite... electronic. I'd like something more acoustic.

If what I said doesn't make sense please call me out. As I said I'm rather new here, owning a LinnStrument feels like having a sword that I don't have the strength to wield lol.

If you want organic acoustic sounds i recommend you to try physical modeling synth, Chromaphone 3
here are some examples of what it can do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVZC5_GHCw0
aliasing plugin owner
:?

martiu wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:15 pm If you want organic acoustic sounds i recommend you to try physical modeling synth, Chromaphone 3
Unfortunately, doesn't do MPE with the Linnstrument

kodra wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:58 pm
martiu wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:45 pm Splice are legit, not sure if the synth is worth it though.
It might sound a bit weird, but I got a used LinnStrument at a cheap price from a local second-hand market. I do play guitar (and a bit of piano), but I know rather little about digital music-making.

The official guide says I should use a synth with MPE support like Surge XT. I tried it a bit, but the sounds sound quite... electronic. I'd like something more acoustic.

If what I said doesn't make sense please call me out. As I said I'm rather new here, owning a LinnStrument feels like having a sword that I don't have the strength to wield lol.
Equator 2 would probably be a good choice for you. I don't have it, but it does have some more acoustic type sounds and seems to be generally well regarded. I do have a Linnstrument, but use other MPE capable synths for more acoustic sounds, but they don't necessarily come with lots of ready made MPE presets.

What DAW do you use?

pdxindy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:33 pm
Equator 2 would probably be a good choice for you. I don't have it, but it does have some more acoustic type sounds and seems to be generally well regarded. I do have a Linnstrument, but use other MPE capable synths for more acoustic sounds, but they don't necessarily come with lots of ready made MPE presets.

What DAW do you use?
I'm still using the free trial of Bitwig. As I said I'm a noob to digital music making :lol: So far Bitwig feels intuitive to me, but of course perhaps it's just I haven't got into the advanced features.

ROLI has been through some serious difficulty, effectively declaring bankruptcy. I think they used a method slightly different under UK law. I'd being a little hesitant to sink money and time into ROLI software or hardware right now.

I'm not sure even ROLI is clear about what they will with their software and hardware products at the moment. They have effectively killed the FXpansion synths. Their focus appears to be on educational products moving forward, whatever that means.

Bitwig is definitely the best choice if you're interested in MPE.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:46 pm
Bitwig is definitely the best choice if you're interested in MPE.
+1

If you use an instrument selector on round robin, you can use the "expressions" modulator to use MPE signals as modulators per-voice. You just need as many instruments in the selector as you have simultaneous notes

billcarroll wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:46 pm ROLI has been through some serious difficulty, effectively declaring bankruptcy. I think they used a method slightly different under UK law. I'd being a little hesitant to sink money and time into ROLI software or hardware right now.
If not Equator, which synth that works with MPE would you recommend?

kodra wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:36 pm
billcarroll wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:46 pm ROLI has been through some serious difficulty, effectively declaring bankruptcy. I think they used a method slightly different under UK law. I'd being a little hesitant to sink money and time into ROLI software or hardware right now.
If not Equator, which synth that works with MPE would you recommend?
u-he Hive, Diva, and Repro 1/5

Arturia Pigments
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Vital

equator 2 is unlike my other synths (whether that's good or bad is up for discussion), but i use it often, because it's different. some interesting layered sounds, good plucked sounds (ie harp, guitar'ish ones), etc. it's just odd enough... :D

SteinyFritz wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:58 pmVital
Great suggestion, especially considering the OP mentioned money is a consideration
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Return to “Instruments”