float and sting:- new W^sp VSTi

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

- GASP :shock:

Is this meant to sound like Wasp? Because it doesn't. Not even a little bit. It's also very, very quiet.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

only the osc are similar
-I have made the forms more normal now, and will edit these skewed ones and have 2 option tables for each

...the rest I just made up ways to do the generalized feature
I can up the main out, will do ta

it's sounding rough and aggressive
which may be to it's fault, being glitchy sounding
some lusher float should be possible though

It's the filter that makes it special for us. Without that, it won't be of much use, I'm afraid.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Our colloquial term for a wasp was Jasper. No idea why. Has a nice ring to it I think.

BONES wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:27 pm It's the filter that makes it special for us. Without that, it won't be of much use, I'm afraid.
Mybe he can fix it mate.

I'm not capable of writing filters,
but if I was shared an impulse response
- I would have more idea of what they are

I deliberately didn't use notches, I used peaks instead in 'LP NT'and 'DBL NT'
They in some gain mess atm, trying to set better levels.

-also attempting to get the VST 3 working

updated the link,
lots of stuff has been done

-filters tweaked and gain adjusted
-osc has 2 modes, conventional forms and kinky ones
-sub osc has octave shift
-mod env now has hold
-distorsion has been tweaked better
-porta working better

here's the filter response==>
filter response.png
and the osc forms==>
osc forms.png
the cpu is a bit rictus, I can't figure out why it is so bad

if your host doesn't see the VST3, put them in the default folder ...program files/common files/VST3 and re-scan. This made it possible to use them here

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi Nix!
I just downloaded latest beta and played a bit with preset handling (loading, switching to previous or next, etc.)
I think something is seriously wrong there - in terms of speed I mean (Otherwise, it seems to work okay).
When selecting a preset it nearly takes 2 seconds - sometimes, sometimes it's 'only' a half second...
When checking the presets it turned out they more or less just consist of 64 floats which need to be loaded.
This should be done in some milliseconds normally I would think.
It's not really a big deal, but in this regards W^sp feels very unresponsive.

Cherrs,
Patrik

thanks for testing
What host are you using?
I'll test here also, there are some options I can try
there are 73 parameters,
the knobs are exposed to automation, but not the switches atm
yah the preset files can be read with notepad
it's not too bad for speed in FL21, I'd like to try your host

I guess it's possible that loading the 2048 sample wavetables slows it a little
Last edited by nix808 on Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BONES wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:09 pm Is this meant to sound like Wasp? Because it doesn't. Not even a little bit. It's also very, very quiet.
This is why I have pushed back against the project from the very start. There is no sense making it look like Wasp when it has very little chance of ever sounding like Wasp.

People think "Oooh look there's a Wasp VSTi now". No, there isn't.

It would have been better to just do something original from the start. Take inspiration from Wasp if you must but don't claim any correlation to the original because you simply end up insulting the original and set yourself up for a public failure. :shrug:
BONES wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:27 pm It's the filter that makes it special for us. Without that, it won't be of much use, I'm afraid
Why has Richard resisted adding the exact filters from Wasp to DUNE 3? I assume he wrote them and I don't know of any legal or technical reason why he couldn't add them although there may be reasons we don't know about.

If he could add those filters then there's your Wasp VSTi......on steroids. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

That's the problem, DUNE loses the simplicity of Wasp, the immediacy and the speed of Wasp's workflow. Rich actually insists that I should be able to make DUNE sound exactly like Wasp but I can't get it to come any closer than ArcSyn or JP6K. Each can do one thing or another that we used to use Wasp for but nothing can do it all. It's one of those cases of the whole being much more than the sum of its parts. Even the Imageline VST version didn't sound exactly right for some reason. I think maybe it was a slightly older version.

osiris wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:33 pm Call it Wisp. Not W^sp. I think Windows 11 hates special characters.
I‘d call it Hornet.

Native Wasp

is kinda cool, as it's in a native format

nix808 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:26 pm thanks for testing
What host are you using?
When I posted, I tried in SaviHost only.
But in the meantime also in energyXT - same in this host.
nix808 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:26 pm ...
I guess it's possible that loading the 2048 sample wavetables slows it a little
You load them with each preset change?
Is this necessary? Are they somewhat calculated based on preset parameters?
Forgive me - I have no clue about DSP and absolutely no idea of the inner workings of W^sp...

Return to “Instruments”