Contest: March ”Gossip”

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

harvon wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:05 am I have a suggestion what we could do in APRIL. It takes a bit time to organize so I talk about it already now.
1) Hellfog opens APRIL gossip very early
2) Anyone can compose a melody, that is verse + chorus, both at least of required length
3) Lyrics are not required but can be given too
4) The composed melodies (with lyrics) are posted to APRIL gossip
5) If there appears a sufficient number of melodies, the APRIL contest rule will be to pick any one of the posted melodies (with lyrics) and make it a full song. The melody must be composed by someone else, not by oneself.
So there will be two stages? Make demo tracks and then hold a remix contest for another participant's track? Interesting...
You're right, it should starts now if we follow this path! :hihi:

Simple example of the melody demo I have in mind would be like 40+20 seconds long single track verse+chorus midi with or without chords. The complete song would then become e.g. intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-finish

I imagine users of VST instruments, kontakt libs and the like would have to be quite meticulous not to fall foul of the rules on this one, since so many samples and presets include some form(s) of delay-based or reverb effects within them? Sorry to point this out, but just listening to the submission above from harvon... and I'm sure I can hear some ambience on the bass -- where do we draw the line?

Had a few questions on this one:

How does distortion factor into this? guess also we're talking degrees of distortion, like heavy saturation or tube drive.

I'm guessing we can still do "manual" delays, like repeating a sound at a regular depreciating volume.

And harmonisers - where we are effectively duplicating sound, repitching and panning it. I suppose its automating what can be done manually with pan and pitch so should be OK?

Back to it after a couple years break. I am trying to put something together for this one. I turned off all the effects in the synths I am using but some patches still sound a little chorusy because of the detuning of the oscillators.

The Peu wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:30 pm Back to it after a couple years break. I am trying to put something together for this one. I turned off all the effects in the synths I am using but some patches still sound a little chorusy because of the detuning of the oscillators.
Welcome back :D
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Atardecer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 am Had a few questions on this one:

How does distortion factor into this? guess also we're talking degrees of distortion, like heavy saturation or tube drive.

I'm guessing we can still do "manual" delays, like repeating a sound at a regular depreciating volume.

And harmonisers - where we are effectively duplicating sound, repitching and panning it. I suppose its automating what can be done manually with pan and pitch so should be OK?
Distortion is not a delay or reverb so it is ok
manual" delays, like repeating a sound at a regular depreciating volume.
Is ok
Yes

My song is as usual using very little fx.
It's the instruments presets and one volume automation.
Particularly proud of the bass sound. Made by Cakewalks inbuilt arpeggio on its SI-Bass.
Tbh, i probably tested 100 different settings and suddenly! There it was! :phew: If i wouldn't be allowed to copy that track with that instrument and arpeggio setting, i don't think i could repeat the result. :D

Going to be a close call for me (again) this month - too much 'stuff' at the end of the day :(
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I'm finished listening to the songs...
It's not fair...
The rules forces me to set points lower than 5.
The quality of all the songs are over 5.
It's going to hurt... :bang:

This voting system is brutal sometimes! It forces you to give good songs low scores. But that's the rules eh.

Here is the voting spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Captain Silverpants

Hi, as it's my first time on here, I wonder what's the place, (if there's one ) to share some feedback ?
Maybe you guys don't want that, but I'd be happy to know what you'd like and even what you did nit liked about my track!

Anyway, I really enjoyed the exercice and listening to your work.

ElVincente wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:59 am Hi, as it's my first time on here, I wonder what's the place, (if there's one ) to share some feedback ?
Maybe you guys don't want that, but I'd be happy to know what you'd like and even what you did nit liked about my track!

Right here :lol:

I used to try to give reviews but felt I couldn't do people justice as I'm not really familiar with a lot of different kit, nor into a wide range of music styles, so it sort of devolved to just saying what I personally like :(

ElVincente wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:59 am Hi, as it's my first time on here, I wonder what's the place, (if there's one ) to share some feedback ?

It would be nice if there was a little more feedback in this contest. I do sometimes make a note under my voting of why I picked my top 3.

But yeah - there's nothing to stop writing feedback here. Go for it. I will do the same.
Captain Silverpants

My notes...

ATARDECER: Funky. Very well produced. Cool synth fx. Great guitar & sax.
BEANPOLE: An Oasis feel to the start. Nice chords.
ELVINCENTE: Super guitar skills, and love the dissonance and mix with the electro stuff.
FOLDEROL: Pretty and expressive.
HARVON: Cool rhythm and complex melody
LAGUNA RISING: A complicated and ambitious song - well put together. Love the chord structure.
SAFFRAN: Funk clavi! Got me tapping my foot.
THE PEU: The instruments all work really well together. Love the interjection by Liz!
VIOLATOR_ALBA: Kudos for a 100% acoustic effort. Domino is the star here - and has impeccable timing.
Captain Silverpants

Return to “Music Cafe”