Reaktor vs VCV Rack 2023 For Analogue Modelling

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems that most conversations comparing modular synthesis programs favor the sound quality of Reaktor over VCV rack for analogue-type sounds. These conversations are all three or more years old. VCV rack has exploded with analogue library options, and I wonder whether these conversations are still relevant. Reaktor is no doubt a quality option, but I think we can all agree the platform is pretty much dead except for the involvement of one great company that keeps releasing modules (Toybox) It's doubtful whether the Reaktor ecosystem will be significantly updated by NI.

I don't really like the ni reaktor ecosystem, and just a bit more like the vcv rack pro.
Afaik the vcv sound quality is not as good as reaktor, but the gui and workflow is much better. Stability? Yep, that could be a problem - depends what modules you use.
Costs? many modules are free/donationware, but the really good ones are payware. Luckily the surge modules are free...

For analog modelling, Softube Modular, hands down. It beats both of them in the amount of quality, by a mile.

I've been recently getting into VCV rack and after going through the existing library I have to say that actually, there's still not that many great great analog-modelled modules. There's the Vult stuff that's been around for a while and the new Doepfer filter done by Cytomic sounds of course fantastic. Most of the other stuff claiming to be analog modelled is not on the level of Softube or Cytomic.

But I'm getting decent sounds by pairing a good sounding digital oscillator (like the Mutable Instruments ones) with the Doepfer filter. But for me, VCV is more about messing around with whacky CV modules than anything else. I've I'm trying to create useable sounds for a project, I go to Softube.

I tried Reaktor Blocks once and it sounded pretty good but as you say, the platform seems pretty dead. Softube's not great at releasing new module models either but they're supporting the platform by giving you the option of using their new plugins in modular. So you get, for example, an amazing sounding Juno or SH-101 filter/oscillator.

dubguy99 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:44 am For analog modelling, Softube Modular, hands down. It beats both of them in the amount of quality, by a mile.
+1

@wilkins_micawber I made a few screen videos covering Softube Modular, maybe it can give you a small impression of the sound capabilities....

https://www.youtube.com/@danielrast/videos

wilkins_micawber wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:29 pm It's doubtful whether the Reaktor ecosystem will be significantly updated by NI.
Reaktor development is being slowed down significantly by VST3 and Apple Silicon support no doubt, so once that is clear, maybe things will pick up again. Seems like an awful waste of resources to update the ecosystem if they have no further plans for it!
Always Read the Manual!

Rastkovic wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:27 pm
dubguy99 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:44 am For analog modelling, Softube Modular, hands down. It beats both of them in the amount of quality, by a mile.
+1

@wilkins_micawber I made a few screen videos covering Softube Modular, maybe it can give you a small impression of the sound capabilities....

https://www.youtube.com/@danielrast/videos
Its a pity softube wont just bite the bullet and release paid softube developed modules for VCV...their own rack format doesn't seem to have had massive uptake and has a very limited range of modules-but I agree their have great analogue modelling and I would buy them in VCV format.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:18 pm Its a pity softube wont just bite the bullet and release paid softube developed modules for VCV...their own rack format doesn't seem to have had massive uptake and has a very limited range of modules-but I agree their have great analogue modelling and I would buy them in VCV format.
Couldn't agree more.

I keep forgetting I have Reaktor! :hihi:

I have nothing against it. but I only have it because it came with Komplete. It's just something I never got around to exploring. I really need to check it out more.

So, thanks for reminding me I have it! :)
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

reaktor blocks sounds nice but less options and also has been a CPU hog in my experience.
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

They are both very robust platforms. I doubt there's much that could be coded for one that couldn't be coded for the other. I use reaktor more often but I also go to the structure a good bit as I have been using reaktor forever. The free version of the vcv rack plug-in comes with a ton of stuff if you want to stick to the "virtual eurorack" style of programming and it's free. Reaktor cones with a giant library of cool shit that doesn't fit into the wires on a panel paradigm as well as all the nifty blocks stuff. I don't hear any major sound quality issues with either. I also have Softube's modular which either Reaktor or VCV can quite easily stand up to. Try both out. They both just depend on the quality of the DSP in the modules and then you can code some stuff up yourself if you feel froggy.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

If I’m looking for really good analog modular, I’m definitely going to Softube. If I want more variety, I’ll go to Reaktor, which is still pretty good, especially if you run it at twice your sample rate. If I want polyphony, I’ll go to VCV Rack, which is amazing for how much there is. I bought some of the commercial add ons too. The Vult modules are very good.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Totally agree with the above ^^^, I have and use all of these and none are 100% perfect. Softube sounds the best but the UI and polyphony are awkward and sequencing is limited. The Toybox Reaktor blocks are amazing but Reaktor is old, CPU heavy, and not Apple Silicon native. VCV rack is great but, as is appropriate for an open source platform, all over the place in terms of sound quality and stability.

Reaktor will be out for Apple Silicon very soon

.. and now is. Just a reminder for all Mac M1/M2 users.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I've been recently getting into VCV rack and after going through the existing library I have to say that actually, there's still not that many great great analog-modelled modules. There's the Vult stuff that's been around for a while and the new Doepfer filter done by Cytomic sounds of course fantastic. Most of the other stuff claiming to be analog modelled is not on the level of Softube or Cytomic.

But I'm getting decent sounds by pairing a good sounding digital oscillator (like the Mutable Instruments ones) with the Doepfer filter. But for me, VCV is more about messing around with whacky CV modules than anything else. I've I'm trying to create useable sounds for a project, I go to Softube.

I tried Reaktor Blocks once and it sounded pretty good but as you say, the platform seems pretty dead. Softube's not great at releasing new module models either but they're supporting the platform by giving you the option of using their new plugins in modular. So you get, for example, an amazing sounding Juno or SH-101 filter/oscillator.
what are your favorite softube modules?

Return to “Modular Synthesis”