Playing left-handed guitars the ”right way”! Playing upside-down… ;)

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And burnt at the stake.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

jamcat wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:13 pm
Bombadil wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:08 am
jamcat wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:50 am Image

Hendrix was right-handed.
Really? I'm a southpaw who plays right. Also bat right in baseball, and shoot right in hockey.
Yep. Here’s Jimi writing.

Though it could be possible that he was born left-handed and forced to write right-handed as a child, which was not uncommon at the time.
as ive just said above, this was still a thing at my school, late 70s early 80s.
there were no lefties by junior.

Bombadil wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:26 pm And burnt at the stake.
that happened once and she also had six fingers and weighed the same as a duck. she had it coming.

actually, the uk didn't really do witch burning.
we drowned or hanged them.

but hendrix doesn't have the strings inverted to normal does he?
i thought he restrung the right way on a wrong way neck?

His strings were set up left-handed, yep.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

so not really playing upside down?
or am i overthinking?

No. Yes. Although in Get Back, Paul picks up George's Les Paul, I think, and starts playing it thin strings at the top. If he could do it, Jimi could, and would've, given his love of the guitar and relative unavailability of left-handed guitars.
Last edited by Bombadil on Sun May 28, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

yay.

i like his bass playing on learys you can be anything you want, this time around, campaign/album.

vurt wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:39 pm so not really playing upside down?
or am i overthinking?
No, just having tremolo bar on top, and controls too.
Pickups will be tilted "wrong" way too, even though I think that would be the right way. Never understood why Fender put tilt on bridge pickup so thinnest strings were even more towards bridge.

The oddity is you get guitar cord jack on top too, and that is a drawback. One reason I did not follow threw on that reverse idea.

If I recall, Hendrix could flip his left-handed guitar around and play right-handed upside down as well. And was still better than most right-handed guitarists while he was at it.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

have you guys seen this chick ? Go to 4:50 of this live take . . .
https://youtu.be/3VJENXs3AX4?t=273
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I'm left-handed. I play left-handed guitars, but I can also grab a right-handed one, flip it over, and competently play chords upside-down... Not so much lead, but as a left-handed person you always encounter "normal" guitars, so over time you just learn to do it.

Bombadil wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:23 pm They gave up on me with that. When I pitched, I was a southpaw with the natural screwball that lefties are known for when throwing smoke.
Had other teams demand to see my birth cert. lol.
Ahhh the good ol' days. Last baseball game I went to had me feeling like going out onto the field to see if I could hit one over the left field fence. Made me sad.
I'm left-handed and I'm a boxer. When I started, my trainer just couldn't be bothered dealing with a lefty, so I learned right-handed stance. Now I've got an unusually powerful jab and front hook... But my cross sucks.

The Rocky maneuver. Start right handed, and when your opponent is tiring, move to a left-hand stance. Badaboom, badabing!
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”