Xhun Audio SnareClack (SnapLab) preview

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

for the people interested, from the next weeks I'm going to expand the "SnapLab" lineup with a new device called SnareClack.

SnareClack is for electronic snare drums the same as KickBeat is for elecronic bass drums : a very easy to use (and to program) hybrid generator, with special attention to price :wink:

A specific gadget for a specific scope at a low and fair price.

In the next few days I'll publish a brief show and tell of its main aspects and parameters.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

A preliminary audio demo on SoundCloud. All snare drums are from SnareClack, no additional processors used.

( All bass drums are from KickBeat, the sequence line is from LittleOne )

https://soundcloud.com/xhun-audio/snare ... and-clacks

Ok, it's time for my usual "show and tell" :)

Well, the interface is quite straightforward - there're 2 synthesis layers involved : the Tonal layer and the Noise layer.

The Tonal layer :

TONAL ATTACK [1ms...1sec] : Set the tonal layer attack time / pitch amount.

TONAL DECAY [700ms...2sec] : Set the tonal layer decay time / pitch amount.

TONAL PITCH [100Hz...400Hz] : Set the tonal layer main pitch.

TONAL LEVEL [MIN...MAX] : Set the tonal layer volume.

And the Noise layer :

NOISE ATTACK [1ms...1sec] : Set the noise layer attack time.

NOISE DECAY [100ms...3sec] : Set the noise layer decay time.

NOISE TONE [MIN...MAX] : Set the noise layer tone, a combination of filter type and cutoff frequency. When the knob is set on the center position, no filtering is applied. When the knob is set on the left-half position, a digital 2-poles LP filter is active, with cutoff frequency going from 54.5 Hz up to 14.5 kHz. When the knob is set on the right-half position, a digital 2-poles HP filter is active, with cutoff frequency going from 54.5 Hz up to 14.5 kHz.

NOISE LEVEL [MIN...MAX] : Set the noise layer volume.

cool :)
FL Studio 21 - Waveform 12 | Surge - Variety of Sound

A note about the Noise TONE parameter...

In addition to the specs I reported in my previous post, I forgot to mention (from a sound design point of view) :

- setting the knob on the left half position is useful to design low-fi style snares, similar to vintage low-fi snare samples (it's just about sound flavour : SnareClack do NOT use samples at all).

- setting the knob on the left half position is useful to design 909-style or SDS-style snares.

Noise has a very central role in electronic snares design.

To conclude this walkthrough, SnareClack includes controls for the built-in DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) Saturation curve and for the stereo expander circuit, as well as a control for velocity modulation (also found on KickBeat).

MASTER VOLUME [MIN...MAX] : Set the device main volume.

DAC LOAD [MIN...MAX] : Set the DAC circuit saturation amount. This will give you the same "punch" typical of a 80s or 90s hardware drum machine.

STEREO EXPAND [OFF...ON] : Enable the built-in stereo expander circuit. This widens the stereo image.

VEL AMP [OFF...ON] : Enable the velocity to control the amplifier.

And that's it !

SnareClack will be released in 2 days (Friday, June 9th).

Because of its very small CPU footprint, you can easily combine 2-3 (or more) instances of SnareClack and achieve gigantic snares.

Ok, SnareClack is finally released :

https://www.xhun-audio.com/site/xhun.ph ... snareclack

Available on XA eShop as well as on 3rd party Dealers with the same 50% Off introductory offer : 19.90 Euro / USD.

I hope you'll find it useful for creating good electronic snare drums on the fly.

Sound design requires tweaking just a few parameters and it is very CPU friendly, specially compared to the option of using a "fully-fledged", generic synth or drum machine just for the snare parts.

Return to “Instruments”