Bass fingerboard - filler or not?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have just bought a bass, with a 'panga panga' fingerboard, first time ever I have this wood on a guitar/bass, I'd appreciate info if someone has experience.

It has quite big pores, or canals if you will, some look like actual chips (see image of the 12th fret inlay). But it's quite evident that it was so prior to sanding/finishing it, as the fingerboard is actually smooth and comfortable to play.

Is there anyone that has experience with similar fretboards? Would you leave it like that or use a filler? If yes, what kind of filler would people use for an effective fix?
Do you think this might be a reliability problem in the long run?

As I very much like the bass, playability, sound, neck and colour, I'm not so keen on sending it back and perfectly fine with keeping it like that or do some work to fix it... I just worry about not having issues in the long run.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just play it a lot and maybe you'll fill in the voids with dead skin and oil from your hands!

kevinsparks wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:53 pm Just play it a lot and maybe you'll fill in the voids with dead skin and oil from your hands!
As uninviting as it sounds, that's a possibility, yes :lol:

The wood is described as having large to very large pores, difficult to work, can easily splinter when working it, but it is very durable and resistant.
The fretboard is quite thick, so given the wood properties, I'll hardly have any issues in the future... I could have looked for that info before posting.

Remember you play on the frets not the fingerboard. Wenge looks very similar and you should have many years of happy playing it.
The only reason to fill it would be if you go fretless.

Dirk Diggler wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:02 pm you play on the frets not the fingerboard.
That's for sure :ud:
Dirk Diggler wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:02 pm Wenge looks very similar and you should have many years of happy playing it.
Yes, when I looked for info, it turned out they are used interchangeably due to having similar looks and characteristics (and that both are of the Millettia genus).
Dirk Diggler wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:02 pm The only reason to fill it would be if you go fretless.
I don't intend to humiliate myself with a fretless, I'll leave it to the more proficient :lol:

My only concern was mechanical/bend/shock, but after reading about the wood and seeing those marks are a fraction of a mm deep and the fretboard is 5 to 7 mm thick, I'm good.

Thank you both for chiming in.

No problem, time to stop sweating it, and start enjoying it.

The only reason to fill it would be if you go fretless.
Agree 100%. Unless it REALLY bothers you....trying to "fix" the "problem"
might do more harm than good.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Thanks! Doesn't bother me at all! It's actually pleasantly different to the ebony/rosewood I have.
Wouldn't have 'fixed' it myself, but now that I feel confident about it not being a reliability problem, I'll just leave it alone.

with the split/chip in the first pic,
you can buy a wenge fretboard and sand it a little so u have some dust,
put the dust in epoxy(Araldite) and fill.
Then cabinet finish it flat with a Stanley knife blade

nix808 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:41 pm with the split/chip in the first pic,
you can buy a wenge fretboard and sand it a little so u have some dust,
put the dust in epoxy(Araldite) and fill.
Then cabinet finish it flat with a Stanley knife blade
That's not too dissimilar to what I did to repair stripped screw holes under a Floyd Rose locking nut. That was oak dust and superglue (didn't need to colour-match anything).

Don't know if I trust me to do it where it's visible, but thanks, good call.

a practiced luthier capable of re-fretting would be likely to pull it
-their job is always on the line, they need to keep their rep

My Ibanez RG has a shop fill, it's better than the chip on it imo
I should have asked a discount, payed premium many moons ago

It would be crazy to do a refret because of pores, although the chip on the 12th fret looks awful and would be a serious no for me. Panga, like wenge, is a wonderful tone wood but very difficult to work and chips easily, so maybe there’s the reason for that. I would never use panga for a fretboard myself has, although stiff, it doesn’t have a very high crushing strength and the pores are just too big. The frets themselves look awesome, btw.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

The chip does not look nice indeed. The inlays are 7 mm diameter though, so it's not as noticeable in person.

It also has a couple other very minor factory faults that I can fix myself. I'd want a flawless instrument for full price, but paid less, this time around I'm fine with a couple errors.

Return to “Guitars”