Opal by Fors — an Elektron-like drum synth and sequencer for Max for Live

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

A bit late to the party here, but Opal is really catching my ears. Really feels like an Elektron.
What's your thoughts on it? Still cool?

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

It’s a dope FM drum synth/seq. Love Fors stuff!

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:00 am A bit late to the party here, but Opal is really catching my ears. Really feels like an Elektron.
Still cool. Got a few very useful updates, and now you can control random plugins with the sequencer, too.

it's super dope. it's fun, sounds great. a nice implementation of some modern takes on drum/percussion synthesis and sequencing.

also, just saw they're having a 30% off sale.

dayjob wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:13 pm also, just saw they're having a 30% off sale.
Where did you see that?
Does it work on PUSH anyone know?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:27 pm
dayjob wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:13 pm also, just saw they're having a 30% off sale.
Where did you see that?
it's on their site

https://fors.fm

and yes, this email was sent out for a recent update:
Kit – Push mapping update
Hiya!
We've added Push mappings to the Kit devices. This means that all the parameters will show up on your Push 2/3 screen letting you take full control over the devices in Kit. Jog, for example, can now be fully programed on the Push – neat. :–)
We hope you enjoy!

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:27 pm Does it work on PUSH anyone know?
The single devices work on Push, the main package, mostly the sequencer, however does not. Ableton/Cycling74 will have to expand the API quite a bit to make that possible, from what I understand.

dayjob wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:33 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:27 pm
Where did you see that?
it's on their site

https://fors.fm

and yes, this email was sent out for a recent update:
Kit – Push mapping update
Hiya!
We've added Push mappings to the Kit devices. This means that all the parameters will show up on your Push 2/3 screen letting you take full control over the devices in Kit. Jog, for example, can now be fully programed on the Push – neat. :–)
We hope you enjoy!
Cheers, got it- Summer sale June 2nd to 9th 30% Off
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:00 am A bit late to the party here, but Opal is really catching my ears. Really feels like an Elektron.

/C
It's an awesome little device I would use it even more if it was not so CPU intensive on my system but you do get a lot out of this little box. Sounds amazing but most importantly i'm having a lot of fun using it it's much more inspiring than starring at a piano roll (imho).
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

Yup- Just bought, lost of fun and beautiful to look at, I love these little leftfield drum machines...Syntakt vibe)
I hope eventually they get this over to PUSH 3, be even more fun standalone :-)

dayjob wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:13 pm it's super dope. it's fun, sounds great. a nice implementation of some modern takes on drum/percussion synthesis and sequencing.

also, just saw they're having a 30% off sale.
Thanks!
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

nanostream wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:00 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:27 pm Does it work on PUSH anyone know?
The single devices work on Push, the main package, mostly the sequencer, however does not. Ableton/Cycling74 will have to expand the API quite a bit to make that possible, from what I understand.
I especially look for M4L devices that work great with Push, would Kit be the one you'd recommand by Fors?

TVbene wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:29 am I especially look for M4L devices that work great with Push, would Kit be the one you'd recommand by Fors?
I’d say yes, definitely. The pack got updated just a week ago to make it Push compatible. What makes it especially suitable for Push is that most of the devices have only 8 accessible (and finely tuned) parameters. This means you almost never have to menu dive, everything is right there.

Apart from that I’ve loved the pack even before I got Push. Box is probably my favorite reverb right now, playing around with feedback and distortion creates beautiful and organic sound scapes like no other device I own. Ego is kind of a focused Bokeh (heh), another great delay by Fors I’ve mostly stopped using because Ego is quicker. Pop is just a lovely and unique FM synth, and since the update came out I’ve finally started using Jog and I’m loving it. It’s very intuitive and accessible from Push, and that goes for every Kit device.

There’s a show and tell by Ess if you want to dive deeper, covering the first 3 devices (the other 3 came later as a free update).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78QlOPxxFAU

That being said, I wouldn’t dismiss Opal, even if it’s not completely Push compatible. The devices, bar the (fantastic) sequencer, work just fine on Push, and you can get a lot of mileage out of them, although they’re monophonic only.

I’d say get Kit and Opal. :hihi:

nanostream wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:55 pm I’d say get Kit and Opal. :hihi:
Thanks a lot for this info. And well, buying Opal and Kit was really already on my mind, so I guess I‘ll just follow your advice… :wink:

Return to “Instruments”