Opinions on string libraries for Kontakt (Cremona Quartet or 8Dio?)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Just while everything's on sale, I'm thinking about getting a decent sampled string library (the best I currently have is probably Session Strings, as I have Komplete).
I don't know if I necessarily need a whole orchestra, I'm more thinking a string quartet with solo instruments might be more what I'm after.
So basically it comes down to either Cremona Quartet or something from 8Dio. 8Dio stuff is on a really good sale right now, but I don't seem to ever see it mentioned as great string libraries.

What's your opinion?
Last edited by an-electric-heart on Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have 8Dio's Anthology Strings, has ensembles and solos and it's freaking excellent IMO (get on sale of course). I have heard good things about 8Dio Century Strings as well FWIW but I don't think it has solos (not sure). More info: https://8dio.com/collections/strings

Neither NI nor 8dio are great options imo. The former never seem to get the sound right - the Cremona Quartet isn't terrible but they did squeeze a lot of the life and body out of those instruments to make them playable by phase-aligning everything. 8dio have a deserved poor reputation from terrible QC.

The good news is there are many other better options out there. Spifire have Solo Strings which is quite good, Cinesamples have Cinestrings Solo (on offer at the moment - add to cart to see the 60% discount). I don't own Embertone's range, but they are extremely well regarded, as are Cinematic Solo Strings. Then there are others that don't use Kontakt - VIR Harmonic's incredible Bohemian Range (though these are more suited to lead than quartet work); East West (though not very good for solos), VSL (out of touch there).

Were I starting from scratch, I'd bite the bullet and get a lifetime membership to Cinesamples Musio (their own player) at $499. It is, admittedly a bit of a leap of faith as the player still doesn't do keyswiching or mic-mixing, though this is coming by end of August we're told. Already it's a fantastic and broad range, including the solo strings.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I absolutely love 8Dio libraries. Century Strings are very often my first choice.
Imho they seem to have a problem with woods (oboe... ouch ! saxophones... meh...) : none seems 100% convincing to me, better option is available somewhere else everytime... For choirs, they’re in the top 5 range (Skyrim could be a proof).

Though, I also would consider some other brands first for realistic complex strings...
Audiobro are strings legends. If you ever find anybody complaining about these libraries, they’re probably kidding. They’re on sale 95% of the year.
Spitfire, -I second that, are more than highly regarded, and for a reason. Their string libraries are superb. My main string library is Spitfire Studio Strings Pro. They do sales randomly, quite often. Adding what you want to buy on your wishlist grants you extra discounts sometimes.

Maybe you could watch what they’re offering, as they’re generally considered as the perfect offer for strings composing, and tell us if something is still missing for you ?
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Cheers for the help. I actually bit the bullet on 8Dio Intimate Studio Strings for $75 right before the sale ended, but I haven't even had time to install it yet.
But yes. I'll probably still want to improve my string options further in the future so I'll take the above info on board.

DJErmac wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:49 pm I absolutely love 8Dio libraries. Century Strings are very often my first choice.
Imho they seem to have a problem with woods (oboe... ouch ! saxophones... meh...) : none seems 100% convincing to me, better option is available somewhere else everytime...
Agreed all around. I bought their "Fire Sax" and "Studio Sax" on a big sale awhile back. So disappointing never used.

g/l OP. Curious to hear how it goes!

DJErmac wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:49 pmAudiobro are strings legends. If you ever find anybody complaining about these libraries, they’re probably kidding. They’re on sale 95% of the year.
Can't believe I forgot Audiobro! Still use LASS to this day, and it has some unique tricks up its sleeve. For solo strings, while I reach for Bohemian if a part is front and centre, I tend to reach for LASS First Chair if it needs to blend in. It's a well-named library, solo strings yes, but designed to lead a section.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

My favourite strings are the Bohemian ones as mentioned, but it really depends on the music you make. XSample libraries are good for modern teachniques that other libraries dont seem to tackle. I have heard good results from their Contemporary Solo Strings.

they sound great, but i've found that my personal favorite orchestral vsts come from spitfire. theyre not crazy expensive and sometimes they get a little overly texture-y, but they really create atmosphere

I have the original VSL "Special Edition Vo.l 1" library plus the Vienna Instruments Pro 2 player. i've had the collection (which includes both ensemble and solo strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion) since 2011. I honestly haven't used it that much over the years. The instruments are a little too clinical sounding for my taste. Plus, the samples are bone dry. So you really need a good convolution reverb to bring them to life.

My biggest gripe is probably with the Vienna Instruments Pro 2 software. It's incredibly powerful and allows you to create very realistic scores if you know what you are doing. However, I find the Vienna Instruments Pro 2 player overly complicated. So I'm considering getting one or two of the Spitfire Audio orchestral libraries.
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

I do quite love 8dio's massive orchestra VSTs, which can give a very large sound.
If you're looking for more detailed expressions I think Spitfire is the way to go!

Return to “Instruments”