Contest June: "Gossip" + Result

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i had a few ideas but when i started making them i realised they were terrible. i might just finnish one.

:? :smack:

Saffran wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:57 pm I assume sweat lodges is like a sauna.
Then we have Mongolia and American natives like Apaches. I think i've seen and read about countries all over the planet using sweat lodges in some form.
Yes
I was thinking about adding them but never did.

Hmmm, I tend to hear a lot of old men farting and clearing their throats in saunas where I'm from. Better break out the pop filter this month.

I've only been in one once - part of a swimming pool complex. Didn't like it at all. Hot tub was much more fun, and nobody scowled it you if you spoke.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

You can get away with farting in the jacuzzi too.

I think I've only been in a sauna once too. I don't see the appeal.
Captain Silverpants

silverpants wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:24 am You can get away with farting in the jacuzzi too.

I think I've only been in a sauna once too. I don't see the appeal.
The sauna gives a body and mind relaxation when you pass the experience in the right way through.

Screenshot_2023-06-05-15-39-45-091~2.jpg
http://psychedelicpsauna.blogspot.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I updated the info to this:

Song in a sauna

Create a song that you want to hear in a sauna anywhere in the world, at any time in the past or the future use it like a time machine.

IV! wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:24 pm It was fun at the beginning and devastating at the end. The voting system is bursting at the seams and with half of this number of tracks. I just want to say that those who didn't get 1-10p didn't get 0p - they just didn't fit into the short list.
:tu: :tu: :tu:

I almost wanted to post a comment regarding the Music Café voting system and how it ought to change to the OSC system of voting (but maybe with a scale from 1-10 instead). So I was so glad to see that I'm not alone in thinking the current voting is flawed in many ways.

When one is forced to compare tracks and vote that way one can't really appreciate a track on its own merits but have to take into account, not only the other tracks that month, but many other things. This is really awful.

I've given pretty high scores to music I don't like myself and even very low scores to music I found to be really really good… :shrug:

Can't we vote about maybe changing the Music Café voting system?
If a majority prefers the current system and not a new voting system or vice versa then we'll all at least know! :tu:
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:47 pm
IV! wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:24 pm It was fun at the beginning and devastating at the end. The voting system is bursting at the seams and with half of this number of tracks. I just want to say that those who didn't get 1-10p didn't get 0p - they just didn't fit into the short list.
:tu: :tu: :tu:

I almost wanted to post a comment regarding the Music Café voting system and how it ought to change to the OSC system of voting (but maybe with a scale from 1-10 instead). So I was so glad to see that I'm not alone in thinking the current voting is flawed in many ways.

When one is forced to compare tracks and vote that way one can't really appreciate a track on its own merits but have to take into account, not only the other tracks that month, but many other things. This is really awful.

I've given pretty high scores to music I don't like myself and even very low scores to music I found to be really really good… :shrug:

Can't we vote about maybe changing the Music Café voting system?
If a majority prefers the current system and not a new voting system or vice versa then we'll all at least know! :tu:
To begin with, I think everyone willing could speak about it. My considerations are as follows:
While the number of participants is "typical" for the last months (8-12), the system will work more or less well. If Music Cafe starts to recruit more than 15 participants further, then yes, it won't go that way...
I had two problems with voting this month:
1) An unfairly large spread. Where according to the OSC system (evaluate each track), for example, I would give Atardecer - 5p, and SilverPants - 3p, here the first got 9, and the second 1, not to mention those who would get at least 3 from me, but did not fit into the list and stayed with 0p.
2) It was difficult for me to keep this in mind. For the current voting system, as I understand it, you have to abstractly arrange 1 track, then compare 2 with 1, then compare 3 with 1 and 2, then compare 4 with 1, 2 and 3... then compare 27 with ... I forgot, but how good was 14 in relation to 21 and 5?..

Yeah I find reviewing can be tricky, especially when you're really trying to be as particular and objective as possible. The only way I manage to do it is download all tracks, load up sequentially in the DAW, have the blank 10p to 1p list, and populate from there. If next tracks floats my boat a bit more, everything gets shunted down one, etc etc.

There's always a certain amount of cross-checking and comparing though. Would it at ;least be simpler for collating using a ranked choice poll on something like Google forms? Yes, everyone would need a Google account but I don't that's too unexpected in this day and age.

I don't touch google - and never will.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:46 am I don't touch google - and never will.
Well it doesn't have to be Google, any ranked choice polling option out there. But if it doesn't make it easier, then not much point.

The trouble is comparing a great number of songs with each other if I have understood you people right. That can be easily avoided however.

Take a pen and paper (this is an old fashioned explanation) and write down some few qualities - subjective or objective, doesn't matter - that you appreciate in a song, eg. do you just like it, would you want to hear it again, is it skillfully performed, is it well mastered, is it in tune with your mood today etc. Then give every song points in every quality slot that you decided to use. Then add the points in the songs's quality slots. This should put the songs in order according to your criteria, without the need to compare every song with every other song.

Return to “Music Cafe”