TAPE SCULPTOR: Build your own tape machine!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kylie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:21 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:56 pm what about bondage tape?
asking for a friend :)
It's just another word for "Gaffa Tape".
Might come in special colours, though, to give it a fancy touch. Not just grey but 50 shades of it.

Yeah...

sidenote: "Gaffa" is a brand. "Gaffer" is the job the tape is needed for. ;-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:21 pm I don't think they were that rare actually - I'm pretty sure I still got a couple of these lying around somewhere - but of course it was just a design-element....
They were rare at least where I come from, but still I was sure I had at least one of them. Couldn't find it so I just posted a link to an image I found. We had a reel tape machine, though, and I preferred it much over cassette tape - except as a Walkman [tm] replacement... :wink:

jens wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:25 pm
Might come in special colours, though, to give it a fancy touch. Not just grey but 50 shades of it.
Yeah...

sidenote: "Gaffa" is a brand.
I know. As is "Tempo" for a tissue. "Gaffa" is just way shorter than "reinforced/armoured adhesive tape" as you would call it anywhere else but in a musician's forum 8)

jens wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:46 pm
Ronny Pries wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:36 pm

Additionally, "Tape" has been synonymous here in Germany with Cassettes. When talking about games. "Tape vs Floppy Disk".

Mixtape also seems to be oddly format specific.

So: yeah, I'm aware that all these plugins are called "Tape". And find it unsettling.

I'd be fine with being mistaken. Could this be exclusive to Germany?
Ah, no, I think it's basically just you mitranslating, misremembering and confusing stuff.

In Germany:

a tape-machine is "Bandmaschine" or more specifically "Tonbandmaschine" or "Bandgerät" or "Tonbandgerät" - band = tape
(Klebeband = adhesive tape and Tonband = audio tape (however Haarband = hair ribbon); Ton (in this context)= audio; Gerät = device)

... reel on the other hand would be "Spule" in German, which nobody ever uses (or used, for that matter afaik/afair) when talking about the machine.

in the 80's a tape-cassette was a Tonbandkassette and a tape-cassette player was called Kassettenspieler(player = Spieler) so in German it was basically (at least for the most part of it) a word-by-word translation of the English terms.

But along came the hipsters - and because they were so very hip, they used a lot of Anglizisms - so a Band was a tape - but the hipsters weren't interested in tape-machines in the slightest so they didn't need a hip word for these...

and thus the German word "Band" was used by the non-hip people dealing with tape-machines and "tape" was used by the hipsters whenever they talked about their silly cassettes (where they were super-proud (as if they had anything to do with even just a single note of the actual music they used) of making their own silly, semi-random sampler-cassettes they handed over to anyone who had absolutely zero interest in listening to it - and these the wankers then called "mixtape".)
Excuse my cultural upbringing then. Me and my unworthy fellows blatantly made the distinction between 'disk' and 'tape' for games on the C64. And as a DJ lateron, I recorded a hell lot of mixes on 'tapes'.

Call me biased :)

Anyway—curious question to everybody reading:

What makes you reach for tape during your production process? Which specific purpose does it serve, that—for example—another saturation plugin doesn't do for you?
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

kevinsparks wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:02 pm I look forward to demoing this magnetic recording media simulation very soon.
But it doesnt do floppy discs. :x
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Nope. Its not cloth-based and not adhesive; more like very thick clingfilm, in how it sticks to itself. Actually quite useful as a cable wrap, easy to remove and no horrible adhesive residue.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Tape Sculptor I come to think of Waves Vitamin
https://www.waves.com/plugins/vitamin

You can sculpt harmonics to a large extent as you wish.
- in 5 bands chosen by your crossover frequencies

Part of Gold Bundle even.

https://youtu.be/kWSPEwQWSdI

https://youtu.be/5Naxgw3P2LE

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:19 am
Nope. Its not cloth-based and not adhesive; more like very thick clingfilm, in how it sticks to itself. Actually quite useful as a cable wrap, easy to remove and no horrible adhesive residue.
ah, yes, I just read up on that - it's actually more like cling film... thanks for clearing that up - I learned something new.

The German term is "Bondage-Band" by the way...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Shouldn't it be called "Bondage Reel"?

Ronny Pries wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:36 pm I'd be fine with being mistaken. Could this be exclusive to Germany? Or growing up amongst autistic people? Whatever it may be: It doesn't give me a properly executed cassette emulation :)

And no, Sketch Cassette ain't that. Because: everything I'm missing, as stated above. Additionally, it sounds very harsh and digital when extremely pushed. Where the noise is merely a layer on top. Like most :(
Yeah, "tape" in English refers to both cassettes and reel-to-reels.

And as far as plugin emulations go, that is just as well, because both cassette decks and reel-to-reel machines are doing all the same kinds of things. Both cassette and r2r range from hi- to lo-fi, and from experience, the differences in sound (including the lo-fi artifacts) can easily be greater between two cassette machines than between a r2r and a cassette; each brand of machine and tape will sound and behave differently.

None the less, some folks explicitly set out to model one or the other. Some more convincingly than others. If you didn't like Sketch Cassette try this: https://www.wavesfactory.com/audio-plugins/cassette/

I pity the dev,
This thread has become an advertisement for other plugins.

Why is that, is it that bad?

simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:21 pm I pity the dev,

Dunno, I will try the demo.
First and foremost: We need great songs (again)

simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:21 pm I pity the dev,

100% safe to say it isn't in any way. It is absolutely typical to also mention other plugins (for one or the other reason) in a thread about a certain plugin.

Besides: none of the mentioned plugins are really competitors to Tape Scultor. (For starters, none of them have any delay capabilities.)

kevinsparks wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:31 pm Shouldn't it be called "Bondage Reel"?
No, the reel is still the thing that holds the tape. Like a cable roller / cable drum.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:19 am
Clingfilm, eh? Seems an educational gap just closed for me 8)
Still Gaffa - or Gaffa-alike tape - is more commonly to be found in most households...

Return to “Effects”