TAPE SCULPTOR: Build your own tape machine!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kylie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:27 am Clingfilm, eh? Seems an educational gap just closed for me 8)
Still Gaffa - or Gaffa-alike tape - is more commonly to be found in most households...
Like I said: "Gaffer" :razz:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

kylie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:27 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:19 am
kylie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:21 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:56 pm what about bondage tape?
asking for a friend :)
It's just another word for "Gaffa Tape".
Nope. Its not cloth-based and not adhesive; more like very thick clingfilm, in how it sticks to itself. Actually quite useful as a cable wrap, easy to remove and no horrible adhesive residue.
Clingfilm, eh? Seems an educational gap just closed for me 8)
Still Gaffa - or Gaffa-alike tape - is more commonly to be found in most households...
and bloody hurts removing it from anywhere slightly furry.

simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:21 pm I pity the dev,
This thread has become an advertisement for other plugins.

Why is that, is it that bad?
often we will suggest similar things, sometimes based on price point, or maybe if someone asks for recommendations with an additional feature ...

however, while sketch cassette is indeed a great cassette tape plug in, tape sculptor, seems to be deeper in the sound design aspects.
will everyone want or need the extra? no, some will just want a straight forward "sounds a bit like ive recorded to tape" plug in.

Dont want to go ontopic, but what's the best tape sim to use for a cover of 'Suspended in Gaffa' by Kate Bush? :hihi:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:47 pm
kylie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:27 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:19 am
kylie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:21 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:56 pm what about bondage tape?
asking for a friend :)
It's just another word for "Gaffa Tape".
Nope. Its not cloth-based and not adhesive; more like very thick clingfilm, in how it sticks to itself. Actually quite useful as a cable wrap, easy to remove and no horrible adhesive residue.
Clingfilm, eh? Seems an educational gap just closed for me 8)
and bloody hurts removing it from anywhere slightly furry.
I didn't say it was for bondage novices :hihi:

This is great and I don't mind any of this discussion :)

FYI we have pushed version 1.0.1 via Pulse now, and updated the trial as well.

- Fixed crash & validation error related to host latency reporting (affects Logic Pro and FL Studio).
- Added bipolar slider fill for relevant sliders.
- Added "click-able" section labels to turn UI sections on/off.
- Changed Filter Slope menu text to be more descriptive.
- Changed default item height in Oversampling menu.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

This does look interesting, and has a beautiful GUI and useful features - however for me because the CHOW tape effect is free, I'm not sure I could justify the asking price to myself. If I were richer , or had fewer VST's vying for a place on my shopping list, maybe...or if it were cheaper to be honest.
Not wishing to sound mean or entitled about it, because I know developers put time and effort into these things, just being honest as a potential buyer

hotmitts wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:11 pm just being honest as a potential buyer
is good plugin, buy now :?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Just bought this, mainly as a thanks to Jatin for their awesome open source work as I was for the most part happy with Chowtape. The added delay section is really nice in combination with the feedback going through the rest of the tape processing, as I would expect it all still sounds great and the interface and animations look really nice. The CLAP 1.0.1 version seems to have some UI composition bugs with the overlaid menus flickering but the VST3 is fine.

I do think that there is opportunity lost here though. I was hoping for this to be a more producer-friendly thought out chowtape, but it's really chowtape with a few bells and a more upfront interface. What I mean by this is I respected chowtape for the depth of controls it has for modelling a tape machine accurately, but when I actually want to tweak to produce a specific sound the number of controls were often a detriment to that, especially since some parameters only had an effect if other controls were set in a certain way. I understand why chowtape is the way it is, Jatin obviously has more of an academic accuracy preference when it comes to the UI, rather than to prioritise producer usability, which was why I was hoping the impact soundworks side could have helped this plugin meet in the middle a bit, but beyond putting all the controls on one screen I don't think this has materialised.

For example the 'soft' toggle for the degrade section is just a range control for the depth, exactly like in chowtape - why doesn't the knob act non-linearly and have the first half of the knob as the 'soft' section? This also causes the variance control in degrade to be a knob, rather than a slider which would have maintained coherence with the other sections.

Also in the degrade section you have controls called 'amount' and called 'depth' - which whenever I go to use this section my brain tells me these basically mean the same thing. When I actually tweak this I kinda understand what each are doing (I think...amount is more of a frequency control, in some settings it sounds like a lpf over the noise), but it's another example where I would have preferred a single control that gives some usable combinations of amount and depth.

The loss section is exactly the same as in chowtape, which maybe it is just me but I found to be way too many controls that have very similar low pass effect on the sound, similarly could thickness/spacing/gap be combined into one continuous control that offers meaningful change over the whole range? Maybe this is just a me problem and other producers do find tweaking the gap vs thickness meaningful.

Finally the saturation section, the mode options are still named after the algorithms used rather than giving any sort of hint of why I'd want to change to another option. This sort of naming makes perfect sense for chowtape, but for a paid product called tape sculptor I shouldn't have to separately read up on hysteresis algorithms to understand whether NR4 or STN is going to give me lower cpu usage or higher quality results.

Also, it doesn't seem like the balance control is working correctly on the VST3 1.0.1 at least, setting it to m/s mode and bringing the balance fully to each side doesn't ever output a mono signal (assuming one of the sides is mid only. Side note, why doesn't the balance control tell you which direction is mid and which is side - it just says -100% to 100% which is an odd scale for a balance control.

Apologies for all the complaining, I do like the plugin but was really hoping for some of the UI quirks from chowtape to be ironed out in the paid product. Would still absolutely recommend the plugin for those who like chowtape but want a more immediate interface though, but maybe not necessarily recommend for people who are only looking for a one stop tape/lofi plugin.

zircon wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:39 am This is great and I don't mind any of this discussion :)
Zircon, thank you for supporting CLAP. Will be be seeing an update of Bass Sculptor with CLAP support?

Return to “Effects”