Guitar Rig 6 is my favorite amp sim.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, not really, but what would KVR be without a click-baity thread title, every now and then? :hihi:

I recently went back ITB for guitar tones. I couldn’t deny that Tonex sounded as good as my AxeFX and didn’t have the fan noise. It was too too inflexible on its own to be useful to me, but I knew it worked in Amplitube, so that’s the route I went. I picked up a HX Stomp XL in case I need something easily portable, and it came with Helix Native, so I’m set.

But I’ve had Komplete since the dawn of time, so of course I had Guitar Rig 6. I dusted it off during my demos of Tonex/Amplitube and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the amp sims sounded, but I sort of was focused on something else. I use it a fair amount, but only as a multi-effects plugin for other stuff.

Yesterday I decided to spend some time doing some sound design for complex effects that would go on after other amp sim plugins, and I never ended up loading up another amp sim. Guitar Rig 6 sounds fantastic. I’ll add the caveat that the “emulations” seems to me to be wildly off from the amps they advertise they’re emulating, but if you disregard that and just use them, they have this sound… hard to explain. They sort of sound like they look. Like Into The Spiderverse vs. Tobey Maguire‘s Spider-Man movies. Yesterday I found myself really liking the general character and I often wandered away from my goal of making heavily effect laden sounds and just ended up with a bunch of more basic guitar amp sounds. It’s really useful to use the crossover to get big spacious sounds that keep a very tight low end. I found myself getting unique guitar tones that I loved as much as anything I’ve ever gotten from an amp simulation, including the Kemper and Fractal models.

The UI is clean and basically easy to use. They have IK and Line 6 beaten by a wide margin in this respect. Native Instruments manages to have all the complexity and more available to the user, but somehow manage to present it in a way where you never feel lost or wonder why you can’t tweak a stomp setting and still see your amp settings.

Variety isn’t as big as some of the competitors, but it does seem to cover most of what you’d want, from clean to ultra high gain. Effects cover most everything. Of course if you want something very detailed and specific, like a Binson Echorec sound, you’re going to want to load up your favorite separate plugin. (Mine’s the one from Pulsar) This is try of all of the amp sim plugins, as far as I can tell.

So that’s my story. If you were like me and made a judgement based on previous versions, which were definitely crappy sounding, or focused on how little their emulations sounded like the amps they kind of look like, I’d encourage you to dust it off and give it some more time. You probably already own it when you got on the Komplete upgrade bandwagon.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It is still being developed which is good news. Alas Julian P has left and for sure it is not being updated as often with new models as initially advertised.

But in terms of UI/UX to me it is my favourite.. really easy to set up, I just wished they had upgraded the dsp in everything when they went to GR 6.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:27 pm It is still being developed which is good news. Alas Julian P has left and for sure it is not being updated with new models as initially advertised.

But in terms of UI/UX to me it is my favourite.. really easy to set up, I just wished they had upgraded the dsp in everything when they went to GR 6.
rsp
Oh, I wouldn’t count them out. Remember, they now own Brainworx, which has some great amp models.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Tbh I have gone past algorithmic guitar sims, and I have lots of the neural dsp stuff (which was my favourites), Fuse Audio (my second favourite), guitar rig, amplitube, kuassa, overloud, S-Gear. and I might be forgetting some.. after I got Thonex, none of them get used anymore*. (* I think I have used TH-U supercabinet a few times still).

Profiling to me are magnitudes better for me, before Thonex only the ICM stuff in Guitar Rig and the Th-U Rig Player that even got used.. I actually haven't heard any Brainworx amp model that I liked..
To each their own.

For effects though I do indeed still prefer the algorithmic stuff in general, just because they are much more flexible.

What I am saying though is I mean GR will have more ICM stuff.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:13 pm Tbh I have gone past algorithmic guitar sims, and I have lots of the neural dsp stuff (which was my favourites), Fuse Audio (my second favourite), guitar rig, amplitube, kuassa, overloud, S-Gear. and I might be forgetting some.. after I got Thonex, none of them get used anymore*. (* I think I have used TH-U supercabinet a few times still).

Profiling to me are magnitudes better for me, before Thonex only the ICM stuff in Guitar Rig and the Th-U Rig Player that even got used.. I actually haven't heard any Brainworx amp model that I liked..
To each their own.

For effects though I do indeed still prefer the algorithmic stuff in general, just because they are much more flexible.

What I am saying though is I mean GR will have more ICM stuff.
rsp
OIC. Maybe. I can’t imagine a reason they couldn’t redo all their models using machine learning, or whatever techniques ICM uses. Unless they were licensing the technology from the guy who left.

Anyway, I’m not saying that I also don’t enjoy Tonex and other modelers. I had a few things from NeuralDSP in my cart before their sale abruptly ended. (I found out about the sale the day before) I’m also not saying that anything in Guitar Rig sounds close to the amps their supposed to be modeling, but I am saying that there is beauty in how they end up missing their target. It’s like seeing a Japanese band do punk music and they work so hard to get it right that they get it totally wrong, but in a cool way.
Zerocrossing Media

Tbh I am not sure they have the cash flow/manpower to make that worthwhile alas.

:) Got ya.. love your analogy.
rsp
sound sculptist

I ended up getting the IK Amplitube complete quite cheap, and not venturing outside that much. sometimes wonder if I'm missing significantly better stuff ?

"Better" is always in the eyes/ears of the beholder to me.
How well you connect with the sound you are getting.
I never quite liked Amplitube personally but many others do.
rsp
sound sculptist

Potato is my favourite colour
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Is it though ?

zvenx wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:27 pm It is still being developed which is good news. Alas Julian P has left and for sure it is not being updated with new models as initially advertised.

rsp
Are you sure? I think there was recently a ICM component Red Fuzz added.

zvenx wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:13 pm Profiling to me are magnitudes better for me, before Thonex only the ICM stuff in Guitar Rig and the Th-U Rig Player that even got used.. I actually haven't heard any Brainworx amp model that I liked..
To each their own.
Can you say what part of the sound you like better?

hotmitts wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:49 pm I ended up getting the IK Amplitube complete quite cheap, and not venturing outside that much. sometimes wonder if I'm missing significantly better stuff ?
I did too, and it’s my first choice when I’m looking for a specific amp sound. Between the new models and the ability to load Tonex it sounds amazing. Made me sell my AxeFX, and I loved that box. I had to admit that it plugins had caught up. I was able to duplicate my favorite patches and in each case I got results that were just as good. I made a promise to myself that I would work to go as much ITB as possible as technology progressed, so off it went.

Anyway, I made this post because I was surprised at how much I was liking Guitar Rig 6, considering how much I didn’t like it in the past. It’s got a definite sound, which I don’t expect everyone will like, but at a time when accuracy in emulation is so good, it was sort of refreshing to have something unique sounding, and the part about the interface has always been true. The modulation system is good, the effects are good and it just ends up being a great way to break away from the tube screamer into a plexi style rut we can get in. That’s all. If you’re totally happy with Amplitube, I wouldn’t run out and buy Guitar Rig, but if you see it come up cheap or have it sitting in your plugin folder gathering dust, you might want to check it out.
Zerocrossing Media

midi_transmission wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:49 am
zvenx wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:27 pm It is still being developed which is good news. Alas Julian P has left and for sure it is not being updated as often with new models as initially advertised.

rsp
Are you sure? I think there was recently a ICM component Red Fuzz added.
oh dear I left out two critical words (as often)
sorry.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

midi_transmission wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:51 am
zvenx wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:13 pm Profiling to me are magnitudes better for me, before Thonex only the ICM stuff in Guitar Rig and the Th-U Rig Player that even got used.. I actually haven't heard any Brainworx amp model that I liked..
To each their own.
Can you say what part of the sound you like better?
Just sounds more like a real amp to me.

And for me easier to fit in mixes.

rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Guitars”