Zebra Cm is there a better free synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All of the free/magazineware U-he synths are great. So many to choose from.

ZebraCm sounds better than some synths I bought.
Probably the best filter section around. Best presets AND presets management.
Great GUI, easy to learn, easier to tweak than Zebralette3 imo.
I cannot praise it enough and if you haven't tried it go for it!

Gotta say, I've always loved the opening patch. Its simple as hell but oh so smooth. I actually almost always recreate it when I get a new synth.

Charlatan 3....
No auto tune...

martiu wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:19 pm Zebralette 3 is better
To be honest Zebralette is also still my favorite out of their Freebies.
You can be creative in any right place on Earth, and not only in the wealthiest cities. Bring the world feelings from everywhere, and not only feelings of capitalistic or jail environment.
― Aleksey Vaneev

I always keep ZebraCM around because it sounds great with a workflow that's fast and intuitive. I know it's considered a stripped-down Zebra 2 but I never got that feeling whilst using it - it feels feature complete and cohesive in its own way.

The issues I bought from Computer Music also gave me Dune CM which still holds up. There's also some great effects in the plugin suite too.

While those plugins are mag-ware, there are still plenty of amazing free synths nowadays, such as Charlatan 3 and Surge XT. Charlatan 3 might be one of my favourite synths at this point already. I also often still use Dexed and SQ8L too - those are my comfort synths at this point.

ZebraCM
Podolski
Zebralette
Surge
ThornCM

All plugins I will ever need. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Anyone interested in buy my Hive licence? 🤔😁
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

Don't sleep on Bazille CM!

They aren't free, but for the price of a lunch or two I picked up both Thorn and bx_oberhausen from Plugin Alliance. iirc it was a bundle sale and I got both for $30.

Keep an eye out for sales, right now the NI synths are (or just were) on sale for $19.

Also, effects can make a huge difference in synth sounds, not to be capn obvious :) I was messing around with the stock Retro Synth in Logic pro and throwing some multi-fx on it and coming up with sounds you'd never think it could do...so maybe watch for sales or free fx if you are lacking in that area.

:roll:

Anyway....for retro sounds, check out Full Bucket's stuff. A synth doesn't necessarily have to be better than ZebraCM to be worthwhile.

But the only way to know what's worth your while is to try them. Do a search on "best free synths" or similar and you'll see many of the synths listed here and more.

Or go here and get a few amazing ones:
https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/

dartfordyes wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:49 pm
martiu wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:19 pm Zebralette 3 is better
haven’t tried it but your telling me a one osc synth sounds fatter than a two osc synth ? i’ll have to try it out can only see 2 on there website
That one oscillator is the best one oscillator out there.

The free version of aalto is rad. Synth 1 is still the bees' knees. Really depends on what you're into. Also depends on what features from zebra 2 are in the freeware version. Zebra 2 is my go-to synth for all things so a slightly less flexible version would still be tits.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I like it better than the Zebra 2.
The only thing I’m afraid of is the maintenance and support for newer macos systems. It will probably lag behind the paid synths, maybe even stop receiving updates. I won’t rely on such synth.

mikeyo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:30 am Or go here and get a few amazing ones:
https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/
This is not free… none of the emulated synth companies distribute their roms. I think this is only legal if you own the synth.

Return to “Instruments”