Zebra Cm is there a better free synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

roman.i wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:17 am
mikeyo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:30 am Or go here and get a few amazing ones:
https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/
This is not free… none of the emulated synth companies distribute their roms. I think this is only legal if you own the synth.
Waldorf do it. https://waldorfmusic.com/de/legacy-micro-q-series/

Clem4 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:08 am
roman.i wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:17 am
mikeyo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:30 am Or go here and get a few amazing ones:
https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/
This is not free… none of the emulated synth companies distribute their roms. I think this is only legal if you own the synth.
Waldorf do it. https://waldorfmusic.com/de/legacy-micro-q-series/
You are right, but not everything you find on the internet is "free".
Is there a license that allows you to use these ROMs for free?
If there is no license, the default license applies that say you are not allowed to.
So not really a free synth.

Some companies that own rom rights of gear that is no longer in production, don't care that people who could never afford their hardware, can now enjoy software versions. Having both a company name, and any of it's discontinued but still legendary products routinely discussed in many forums will draw new users to consider their new products. There's no money in hoarding roms from end-of-life products. Especially when the same companies have new ventures that are turning healthy profits.

If a company thinks there is enough money in an old rom to justify the cost and risk of making a software instrument/plugin based on it, they might do it. Each company lives with their own decisions. I hope all of them prosper.
Cheers

roman.i wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:48 am You are right, but not everything you find on the internet is "free".
If there is no license, the default license applies that say you are not allowed to.
? What "default license?"

mixyguy2 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:31 pm
roman.i wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:48 am You are right, but not everything you find on the internet is "free".
It defaults to full copyright protection under the copyright law.

Surge XT ....
No auto tune...

roman.i wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:12 pm
Copyright protection would only come into play if someone tried to reverse engineer/edit the actual synth itself (and/or peddle the synth themselves) vs just using a copy of it. If someone offers or allows a download of their synth online without cost, clearly it is free and any attempts to get payment for it in that situation would be laughed out of court.

mixyguy2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:12 pm
roman.i wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:12 pm
Copyright protection would only come into play if someone tried to reverse engineer/edit the actual synth itself (and/or peddle the synth themselves) vs just using a copy of it. If someone offers or allows a download of their synth online without cost, clearly it is free and any attempts to get payment for it in that situation would be laughed out of court.
You don’t know what you are talking about. Read the law.

roman.i wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:05 am You don’t know what you are talking about. Read the law.
No, that would be you. Learn the law. Or common sense, for that matter.

mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:41 pm
roman.i wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:05 am You don’t know what you are talking about. Read the law.
This is ridiculous, stop misleading people.
Even the dumbest person alive can ask this question ChatGPT and get the answer:
If the software doesn't contain a license, you generally should not use it, as you don't have explicit permission from the creator to do so. Always ensure you have a clear license to avoid legal issues.
You are suggesting illegal use of software, and spreading your incompetent "common sense". Cut it out.

LOL @ relying on ChatpGPT for legal advice. Yes, I can see how the dumbest person alive would do that.

I am not suggesting illegal use of software and I'm not talking about pirating software. Again: IF someone offers up software free of charge, there is the explicit permission. Anyone doing so and then trying to get money out of people they willingly gave the software to for free is deluded. How sad that this escapes you.

But if you still doubt this, it's easy enough to prove: offer some software you've created for free on your web site. After people download it, demand money. See how far you get.

Hasn't this thread run it's course yet?

BBFG# wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:20 pm Hasn't this thread run it's course yet?
No, you’re wrong. (And the thread continues)

roman.i wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:42 pm
mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:41 pm
This is ridiculous, stop misleading people.
Even the dumbest person alive can ask this question ChatGPT and get the answer:
If the software doesn't contain a license, you generally should not use it, as you don't have explicit permission from the creator to do so. Always ensure you have a clear license to avoid legal issues.
You are suggesting illegal use of software, and spreading your incompetent "common sense". Cut it out.
Are we sure that gpt finished lawschool? Which?
Did you ask advice for a specific country?
Because the chatdemon is a US invention, but US law is only valid in the US.
It would mean nothing in China. GPT would get it's ass wiped by courts in at least a 100 other countries.

So much for Zebras
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “Instruments”