Kontakt X and the end of Reaktor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have several clever retorts to that but they'd be breaking my NDA, so... Nevermind. You do you. :)

Good. The last thing anyone needs is "clever" retorts. If anyone else not "hindered by NDAs" wants to chime in explaining why it's a bad idea for NI to go the direction I suggested, I'd sincerely love to hear it.
It's a logical move.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:36 am
IvyBirds wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:09 amMy best guess is that there to be tweaks to the "Flexible Envelopes" to allow them to work easily with anywhere from 2 or 4 points up to something like 48 or even 64 or higher
Not sure what you mean. Kontakt's flexible envelopes already support up to 32 nodes, this was always the case (this is the same as in FM8), and since Kontakt 7.10 you can directly set all the nodes from KSP, which wasn't possible before (you could assign Constant modulators to first 8 stages but that is not really efficient).
My guess is they will add more nodes for the benefit of the AI and have more envelopes available

Just thinking if I was developing an AI assisted Sampler what tools would an AI find valuable as opposed to humans

While it's pretty tedious for a human to set say 64 envelope points for an AI it's not an issue and can be done in a fraction of a second

For example think about vibrato, humans might assign an LFO to pitch and use that to control vibrato, an AI might assign a 64 stage envelope to pitch and have it rise and fall based on numerical values it assigns to that envelope

If the AI was trying to emulate the sound of a violin being played with vibrato it could think gee this violin rises and falls in pitch as it's played. If your or the AI uses an LFO to emulate that it is often to precise, using an envelope you can enter precise numerical values for not only how far up and down the pitch goes but also the speed and time between each event

Ironically using AI can make it sound more human

VOODOO U wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:27 am NI needs to stop wasting time. They have everything going for them to compete in the DAW arena and probably lead the way. Especially now with Izotope products.
I have many products by NI and Izotope

I am also quite served by Cubase Pro 13 my DAW of choice, followed by Studio One 6 pro, followed by an ancient copy of Acid Pro 7 (which still has a few features I find very useful)

I can't imagine if NI came out with a DAW what it could possibly offer that would pull me away from using Cubase, or Studio One. I am sure I am not alone in that, and not just Cubase and Studio One, but Logic and Abelton Live as well, even Protools

All of my NI products work really well in my current DAWs so why would I switch?

I think that's the biggest issue with a NI DAW in 2024, in order for it to work and be successful you have to pull people away from their current DAWs and on doing so simultaneously compete with all the other DAWs options

5-10 years ago it would have made more sense as the NI ecosystem was strong and many people were into Komplete in a big way, but those days are long gone and the instruments are now EOL and on sale for $19

IvyBirds wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:18 amMy guess is they will add more nodes for the benefit of the AI and have more envelopes available

Just thinking if I was developing an AI assisted Sampler what tools would an AI find valuable as opposed to humans

While it's pretty tedious for a human to set say 64 envelope points for an AI it's not an issue and can be done in a fraction of a second

For example think about vibrato, humans might assign an LFO to pitch and use that to control vibrato, an AI might assign a 64 stage envelope to pitch and have it rise and fall based on numerical values it assigns to that envelope

If the AI was trying to emulate the sound of a violin being played with vibrato it could think gee this violin rises and falls in pitch as it's played. If your or the AI uses an LFO to emulate that it is often to precise, using an envelope you can enter precise numerical values for not only how far up and down the pitch goes but also the speed and time between each event

Ironically using AI can make it sound more human
Interesting idea. I like the idea of playing a synth and then saying "make it sound more like a concert violinist is playing it". That could be very cool and produce original results. That's not the kind of AI they're talking about with Kompanion though.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

IvyBirds wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:32 am I can't imagine if NI came out with a DAW what it could possibly offer that would pull me away from using Cubase, or Studio One.
Let's start with a universal answer: an "All In One" solution that would be extremely competitive. Where all N.I. products integrate within a flexible DAW catering to a wide variety of songwriters and producers including DJs and remixers, particularly if one buys an all inclusive pro version.
After that, it's all about how the workflow is versus other DAWs and that's always going to be the case. There won't be a stoppage in programmers designing their own vision of a DAW so it makes sense for N.I. to jump on board.

All of my NI products work really well in my current DAWs so why would I switch?
And now.....you won't have to. There's no reason for N.I. to stop selling products to work within other environments. FL Studio does it with some of their synths right?

I think that's the biggest issue with a NI DAW in 2024, in order for it to work and be successful you have to pull people away from their current DAWs
There's no need to pull people away. Just offer a product that is attractive in its own way. You yourself use multiple DAWs. I as well.
There will be new blood coming into the game and if N.I. jump onto the DAW market, that will be another option to choose from (and a very enticing one at that just from an ideal perspective).

and on doing so simultaneously compete with all the other DAWs options
That's the name of the game in all areas of business.
the instruments are now EOL and on sale for $19
Well if what they state is truth and they plan on remaining in the synth game, they're up to something. The main point though is that they want to remain in the game (again...so they say).
And if they weren't planning on staying in the synth game, I would be intrigued because what the hell else are they going to do? A DAW????
God I hope so.

VOODOO U wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:41 am Good. The last thing anyone needs is "clever" retorts. If anyone else not "hindered by NDAs" wants to chime in explaining why it's a bad idea for NI to go the direction I suggested, I'd sincerely love to hear it.
It's a logical move.
I'm not going to tell you why it's a bad idea. I'm not even going to tell you that it is a bad idea. I don't know one way or the other. I will tell you that you don't know, either. But it's cute how much confidence you have, in the absence of data.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

^^^100%, well said.

Let's just say, based on having more data at hand than VOODOO U, it is extremely unlikely that Maschine will become a DAW at any point in the future. That is missing the point of what Maschine is all about.

FrogsInPants wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:18 am
VOODOO U wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:41 am Good. The last thing anyone needs is "clever" retorts. If anyone else not "hindered by NDAs" wants to chime in explaining why it's a bad idea for NI to go the direction I suggested, I'd sincerely love to hear it.
It's a logical move.
I'm not going to tell you why it's a bad idea. I'm not even going to tell you that it is a bad idea. I don't know one way or the other. I will tell you that you don't know, either. But it's cute how much confidence you have, in the absence of data.
Absence of what data exactly?

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:19 am ^^^100%, well said.

Let's just say, based on having more data at hand than VOODOO U, it is extremely unlikely that Maschine will become a DAW at any point in the future. That is missing the point of what Maschine is all about.
Yes bravo. Have others argue for you. Anyhow. I used Maschine as an example. That's all it is; an example.

Heck now that I think about it, they could turn Traktor into a DAW.

Wait, what is l the point of Maschine?

VOODOO U wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:23 am

Yes bravo. Have others argue for you. Anyhow. I used Maschine as an example. That's all it is; an example.
you are aware that evildragon, is a kind of insider at ni?

VOODOO U wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:12 am Let's start with a universal answer: an "All In One" solution that would be extremely competitive. Where all N.I. products integrate within a flexible DAW catering to a wide variety of songwriters and producers including DJs and remixers, particularly if one buys an all inclusive pro version.
Again how is that a Universal Answer. What would be the advantage of that? I own the full version of Komplete, I already have an all in one solution for them, it's called Cubase and/or Studio One

What features would that give you over using my other DAWs

And who are these people who only use plugins from Native Instruments and nothing else?

Because as soon as you start including other plugins into the mix which would universally happen the "All in One" solution gets thrown out the window

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:43 am
VOODOO U wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:23 am

you are aware that evildragon, is a kind of insider at ni?
A whistle-blower!

*whistle requires full version of Kontakt

Return to “Instruments”