Kontakt X and the end of Reaktor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

NI already have a DAW, it's called Maschine. Its not as complete as other options, but with some upgrades it could work.
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

Can someone send me reminder please when this boring DAW jibber jabber is over and thread is back on topic with Kontakt X. Tanks

Shouldn't the real question be how DAWs are improving and will soon make Kontakt completely archaic and irrelevant?

BBFG# wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:15 pm Shouldn't the real question be how DAWs are improving and will soon make Kontakt completely archaic and irrelevant?
eh?

I love that the thread I started to stop me dragging other threads wildly off topic has, of course, gone wildly off topic.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I think NI need to focus on completing the update of the Kontakt interface first before cramming yet more into it. Currently if you click on the edit button it's a total mess under the hood, very little if anything has been updated to higher res and it's really badly organised.

IvyBirds wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:44 am If I have a musical idea and I am starting over with a new DAW it can be a very frustrating experience as easy things you know how to do with your old DAW no longer work
If you are starting over with a new DAW and it's frustrating then you shouldn't be using that new DAW unless it's an absolute must. In that case, take the time to familiarize yourself with it until it's no longer frustrating.
Whenever I learn a new DAW, I write a throw-away song just to get familiar with the DAW. That way I don't get frustrated that the song isn't getting completed as easily and quickly.
where as with a plugin you can always just swap out the plugin for something else
That REALLY depends on what you are working on and what plugins you have.
For example not all samplers can do the same type of audio manipulation and/or multi-sample setups.
Even with freebies like SurgeXT, there's a certain characteristic to the bass sound I can't quite get from other synths that I have. I can get close but, like learning a new DAW, it takes time and can get frustrating.
kev2525 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:24 pm NI already have a DAW, it's called Maschine. Its not as complete as other options, but with some upgrades it could work.
Yeah I mentioned Maschine as an example. According to "others", it won't work because "it''s missing the point of what it's meant to do" or whatever usual close-minded bullshit that gets thrown around.
Like it's "impossible" to make a separate version of Maschine that functions more like a standard DAW. I'm not saying it's easy. It's definitely doable and as you say, it could work
(*on a side-note* I'm setting aside business and politics because that's how progress and innovation happens. We wouldn't have V8 motors if Ford said, "it can't be done because an engine block is not meant to hold 8 cylinders". If the idea holds, figure it out).

VOODOO U wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:55 pm We wouldn't have V8 motors if Ford said, "it can't be done because an engine block is not meant to hold 8 cylinders". If the idea holds, figure it out).
Awesome analogy so I will ask again what features would this new NI DAW have that are so awesome

You know besides functioning like the Arturia Software Installer

And FWIW in 1902, Leon Levavasseur got a patent for the V8 engine and Ford didn't put one in a vehicle until 1934

No one told Ford it wouldn't fit in an engine block

IvyBirds wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:22 pm Awesome analogy so I will ask again what features would this new NI DAW have that are so awesome
You don't think it would be awesome if the full capabilities of Maschine were implemented into the DAW?

You don't think it would be awesome if Kore capabilities were implemented into the browser so user patches can be made utilizing *all* plugins, as well as MIDI and audio files?

You don't think it would be awesome if audio tracks have standard recording features as well as all of Traktor's capabilities for DJ performances?

You don't think it would be awesome if Reaktor's modular capabilities were implemented into the DAW? We're talking transforming Reaktor from a plugin into a major implementation of a digital audio workstation.

You don't think it would be awesome that one could have all NI plugins - including izotope - when going with the "Pro" version?

Feel this one out, you can use whatever outside plugins you like with this DAW. Use whatever you like that's not NI.
And your main foundation - going with the Pro version of this DAW - contains *all* the capabilties of EVERYTHING that is Native Instruments.
And FWIW in 1902, Leon Levavasseur got a patent for the V8 engine and Ford didn't put one in a vehicle until 1934
Yeah well there's a big difference between an engine block with 8 cylinders inside an airplane versus a car. Basically, Ford was "crazy" coming up with the idea. As artist Seal states, we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy.
No one told Ford it wouldn't fit in an engine block
I suppose that's true if we consider Leon Levavasseur. But I'm willing to bet there were many employees who told Ford to go f**k himself for having them work on a solution to put those 8 cylinders on an engine block designed for a car.

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:31 pm
BBFG# wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:15 pm Shouldn't the real question be how DAWs are improving and will soon make Kontakt completely archaic and irrelevant?
eh?

I love that the thread I started to stop me dragging other threads wildly off topic has, of course, gone wildly off topic.
They are at Ford and engine blocks now… can you imagine :dog:

VOODOO U wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:29 pm You don't think

You don't think

You don't think

You don't think

You don't think
Maybe..like... touch grass and breathe?

VOODOO U wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:29 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:22 pm Awesome analogy so I will ask again what features would this new NI DAW have that are so awesome
You don't think it would be awesome if Kore capabilities were implemented into the browser so user patches can be made utilizing *all* plugins, as well as MIDI and audio files?

You mean the Kore that N.I. abandoned over a decade ago?
And you mean like you can browse patches from multiple plugins and sample libraries within Komplete Kontrol?

That would my main point of hesitation with a N.I. DAW, I'd assume they would abandon it if they couldn't dominate the market.

And I'm curious, would the "Pro" version you imagine cost more that Komplete Collectors Edition since "All NI plugs and features from other apps (ie Traktor and Maschine) are built into the DAW"?

Let’s be honest, I’d love to see a new version of Maschine with some of the upgraded features that have been talked about here but it’s clear NI have limited resources and are controlled by accountants and shareholders now. It’s not gonna happen.

I’d rather they put those resources into getting Massive X to an acceptable standard and putting out a decent Reaktor update, unfortunately it looks like neither of those will happen either :lol:

Let’s see what the promised updates to Kontakt and Maschine bring, I’m not expecting much if I’m honest.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:14 pm I think NI need to focus on completing the update of the Kontakt interface first before cramming yet more into it. Currently if you click on the edit button it's a total mess under the hood, very little if anything has been updated to higher res and it's really badly organised.
Edit view is extremely complex and so this is not going to happen any time soon. However the rest of the interface is already in the process of being modernized, bit by bit.

X in the names just makes me wonder - is Eelon involved? Blink once for yes.

X in the name is a rumour, nothing actually confirmed.

Return to “Instruments”