The guitar apocalypse is real

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:40 pm
jens wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:01 pm I see... interesting - and that... like... works?
They sell 50 pounds of flour for $15, 20 pounds of bacon for $45, and 60 eggs for $12. As you can imagine, those aren't for the normies, who are off buying frozen dinner entree du jour, although the $4.99 whole roasted chickens are for everyone.
My wife and our neighbor lady made a list of things they could split, that would be too much for a single family. They've since moved to the beach, and our kids are out of the nest, and gas price negates the savings on just a few items. So we rarely go there. But buying a freezer and generator there may change that :hyper:

Euphorion Music wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:48 pm There will be better and younger players coming up
Most with the initials A.I. Nobody wants to be heard practicing. Nobody wants to learn to cook.
Nobody wants to take time building a life-long relationship. Fast-food, welfare, credit cards, and one night stands. Failure to maintain the foundation guarantees a collapse in the future.
Cheers

Too negative! You underestimate how many kids turned into child prodigies during Covid!

Uncle E wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:38 pm Too negative! You underestimate how many kids turned into child prodigies during Covid!
Actual facts, I, for one, learned so much more during Covid since there was nothing else to do. You had all the time in the world to become better at singing if you wanted to

Uncle E wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:38 pm Too negative! You underestimate how many kids turned into child prodigies during Covid!
Last few times I was in a local guitar center (in a large metro locale, and 500 feet from a Costco), it was a quiet ghost town. My observation does come from interacting with a small sample size, made of people who could afford an instrument and headphones if so inclined. So I hope you're right about the prodigies! But I doubt many average music-consuming conformists in 'the herd' magically became dedicated to the daily multiple hours of practice and learning needed to approach prodigy status. Prodigies interviewed by Rick Beato mostly come from extremely musical families, many driven by parents to achieve expertise in some area of life, so lucky for us some choose music! The public education results from that lockdown period do not point to significant improvements.

Maybe you know some kids who would comment here on that lockdown experience being put to good musical use? Would be an interesting read. Come to think of it, there are probably some examples out in googleville :wink:
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:14 pm Prodigies interviewed by Rick Beato mostly come from extremely musical families, many driven by parents to achieve expertise in some area of life, so lucky for us some choose music!
There you have it. KVR members, you have your marching orders, go make some babies and turn them into child prodigies!

glokraw wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:14 pm
Maybe you know some kids who would comment here on that lockdown experience being put to good musical use?
probably wont get them to comment here, but i know of a couple who were inclined to learn an instrument during lockdown.
two of my younger cousins, one 13 and one 15 now, both were on sports teams pre lockdown, so had plenty of spare energy and time to do something, but of course, stuck at home. not really "gamers" so would spend maybe an hour on the ps3 before they got bored.
one of my other aunties, had an upright piano, she was going to sell on ebay, but asked if anyone wanted it, so they took it.
both are now reasonably competent players, one of them (youngest) isnt even playing football any more and does piano lessons instead.

i know a few others too, but they were musically inclined, long before lockdowns.

There's something to be said for not needing to enter concussion protocols after practice :wink:

Uncle E wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:16 pm
glokraw wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:14 pm Prodigies interviewed by Rick Beato mostly come from extremely musical families, many driven by parents to achieve expertise in some area of life, so lucky for us some choose music!
There you have it. KVR members, you have your marching orders, go make some babies and turn them into child prodigies!
Orders? Plenty of volunteers around here, at least for the first part of the process :wink:

And as prodigies go, this is one pretty good:

https://youtu.be/OJTXqHxt_UU

Cheers

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying gear during the guitar apocalypse. What kind of gear is going to be affected the most and what's the best time to buy? (I understand that this is speculative)
★★★ One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet. ★★★

When you are too old to play and music has the least value in your life. That way it will have the highest resell value as it will be untouched.

It's the best time ever to be a musician and the worst time. When I think back to the quality of 70's and 80's entry level guitars vs the price and those same numbers now (accounting for inflation) We live in a wonderland. When I think of the possibilities for success we live in a wasteland. There are very few working musicians left and there will be less in the future.

Those that are for the most part are supported by other families and keep a day job. If not for her YT channel Mary Spender would most likely not be performing. Most of her channel is tailored for other guitarists. Same with Beato. He couldn't return to producing artists full time if he tried. Not that he isn't a talented producer.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

For some of us music was in us from an eary age and just needed to get out. For others ...seeing the Beatles or MTV provided inspiration to motivate. Music was a fantasy and represented potential reward.

We could never have enough tools to help us reach our dreams.

Not sure how there can be an apocalypse when thousands of YTers have 20 guitars hanging on the wall. Buy all the colors of a particular style.
The big music stores are crushed by the internet.

I for one have been greatful to reduce my collection of basses from 13 to one. I always felt pressure to spend time playing them all. Damn near impossible. Now I just reach for my bass. When I see these walls of guitars...it just makes me tired.

Another aspect is the raw materials it took to make these wall ordaments. You cant just pick any stick to make a fuctioning long lasting neck.

If you are a pro player in a working band. You may need 3 and some backups...maybe your 'baby' at home that you dont gig. If you are learning. I recommend one. A hobbiest.....3 max.
Collectors.......just shame. Shame. Shame for removing instruments from there intended purpose.

Looking at you Trogly.
Buying a guitar for the woodgrain on the back...WTF.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Some people by a table based on the beauty of the wood and finish. If choosing between five tables that all met the basic requirements for consideration, the one with exceptional beauty will likely be chosen. People buy cars based on a great paint job quite often. Twice I've gone to a guitar center with something in mind, only to be diverted by the strategic placement of a guitar that was extraordinarily beautiful. They were priced to sell, and played as good as the more modest looking models, so it was an easy choice in each case.
Cheers

LunarKitten wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:34 pm Hello,

I'm thinking about buying gear during the guitar apocalypse. What kind of gear is going to be affected the most and what's the best time to buy? (I understand that this is speculative)
It really depends on competition. Roland put much of their top soundset in a $350 midi controller
because of competition in that price point which they think they can do well against. Boss made a competing device in the mini amp-studio area, adding improvements that the competitors failed to implement. You'll want to read and compare, and test in person, buying what you need most first.
New improved gear always arrives after you buy something you really enjoy, so don't worry about things you can't predict or control, and maximise using what you have. :hyper:

Return to “Guitars”