Nine Inch Nails - Hand That Feeds (cover)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've revised this one a few times now.. new vocals, new mix,etc. Any feedback is very welcome!
Thanks for listening.

https://soundcloud.com/kearley/hand-that-feeds

Sounds really nice. Well done. I don't know the original and wont bother listening, but this was a solid production with great vocals.
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

:clap: i like it! a really good job to capture the anger and execution of the original. one of my favorite NIN songs.

Thanks again for listening. For anyone who cares;

For the lead vocal, I did this trick I think Al Jourgensen did a bunch in the past.. hitting a DBX compressor with the 'peakstop' feature into clipping. (I used my DBX166) I think I can hear the similarity to old Ministry.
The vocals in the break are sent thru a ringmod using filtered noise as the carrier. (to get that fluttery warble) Kind of an old NIN sound to me.

D

good job there and thanks for the production hints in your last reply :D

Ya I always find it interesting when other people post specifics.

Anyway ya, I smashed the vocal coming and going. SM7b recorded really hot on the Heritage 1073 gain into 1176 with all buttons in, compressed further with ART ProVLA and then the DBX166 HW insert on playback. It's amazing you can still understand the words.

But really, all of this is a learning process. Learning to sing and learning 'produce' and mix.

Sounds great! I'm a big Nine Inch Nails fan and while this is one of my least favorite of their songs, I think you did a good job. Kinda takes this song back to the Broken era. Pretty well balanced as far as I can hear (just using small monitors at work).

Thanks for sharing!

This is kind of the NIN 'hard rock' era to me. Not my favorite, but approachable in terms of covering it. :)

But ya, Broken has some of my favorite sounds. (and vocals! The Last vocal is amazing to me) I have an old zoom distortion that's super close to that 90s NIN guitar sound.. maybe I should try reamping these guitars through that.

Well done !! Nice cover !
**dark music for dark lovers**

Return to “Music Cafe”