Thoughts on the new Wusik Station AD synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:12 pm He started accepting money for group buys and "pre-orders" for products he never finished or even released. I classified it as fraud at the time and I still feel that way.

If he had just focused on his core products and perfecting them instead of constantly trying to hustle up rent money I think he could have been far more successful. He's a very talented programmer when he puts his mind to it but he's a horrible business man.
This. His business model was 'get money.' He didnt really do 'make product, sell product' he did 'sell product, then maybe make it.' Got hooked on the 'group buy pay up front' mechanism so much he utterly devalued his products, couldnt sell them normally, so became an endless cycle of scrabbling for cash. His expectation became that customers owed him their money in advance, because he needed money, and he had zero respect for customers except as a revenue stream, hence the scammer/spammer behaviours.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

BBFG# wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:07 pm So how many times would anyone go to through it once you recognize it?
The pinnacle of liberal economics was the rational self-interested consumer. But the reality shows that the consumer is far from rational, making impulsive, stupid decisions, highly influenced or brainwashed by advertising or other selling tactics.
<list your stupid gear here>

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:44 am His business model was 'get money.' He didnt really do 'make product, sell product' he did 'sell product, then maybe make it.' Got hooked on the 'group buy pay up front' mechanism so much he utterly devalued his products, couldnt sell them normally, so became an endless cycle of scrabbling for cash. His expectation became that customers owed him their money in advance, because he needed money, and he had zero respect for customers except as a revenue stream, hence the scammer/spammer behaviours.
Nasty! Very nasty business model. :roll:

KTlin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:15 am Nasty! Very nasty business model. :roll:
And for a very long time. In 2005, almost 20 years ago, William announced that unless he got 200 preorders totalling $10,000 for the next product, all support and development for all existing products would be ended(*). If you'd paid for the last preorder, which he was abandoning before it was done, you'd 'only' have to pay $30 to upgrade.

(* bear in mind that at ths point, I think he was licensing the engine to various other companies so consider the implications of that as well...)

The spillover from that also managed to do damage to the reputation of a very nice, very reasonable, very honest former co-developer...

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:42 am And for a very long time. In 2005, almost 20 years ago, William announced that unless he got 200 preorders totalling $10,000 for the next product, all support and development for all existing products would be ended. If you'd paid for the last preorder, which he was abandoning before it was done, you'd 'only' have to pay $30 to upgrade.
My god! :-o So, to say that this William dude is shady would be a massive understatement.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:44 am This. His business model was 'get money.' He didnt really do 'make product, sell product' he did 'sell product, then maybe make it.' Got hooked on the 'group buy pay up front' mechanism so much he utterly devalued his products, couldnt sell them normally, so became an endless cycle of scrabbling for cash. His expectation became that customers owed him their money in advance, because he needed money, and he had zero respect for customers except as a revenue stream, hence the scammer/spammer behaviours.
That sums it up perfectly. What's so strange is that in the early days he was a really nice guy and a responsible developer. I don't know what caused him to go bad. He blamed so many things on health issues but we have no way of knowing if they really contributed to his behavior or were simply a convenient cop out.

While I still hold him in contempt for his behavior I do have a certain amount of pity for him. He needs help both for his health issues and in business but at this point it may be far too late.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KTlin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:23 am
agharta wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:09 am Don’t give this company an email address unless it’s a disposable one as they will spam you for years.
Indeed. I can confirm this. I subscribed to their newsletter a couple of years ago and at some point I was receiving emails from them (with pretty much the same content) almost daily. I was just about to unsubscribe as I find this aggressive strategy super annoying.
agharta wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:09 am Appalling company and I believe they are banned from KVR.
Yes, I saw that WilliamK, the man behind Wusik is banned from KVR but I don't know the reason.
Save your time unsuscribing. You'll get spam anyways.

KTlin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:53 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:42 am And for a very long time. In 2005, almost 20 years ago, William announced that unless he got 200 preorders totalling $10,000 for the next product, all support and development for all existing products would be ended. If you'd paid for the last preorder, which he was abandoning before it was done, you'd 'only' have to pay $30 to upgrade.
My god! :-o So, to say that this William dude is shady would be a massive understatement.
Yes and it's very sad. I was remembering this morning about Wusikstation in the versions 2 to 5 days and what an active community surrounded the synth.

There were several third party developers who provided high quality sample sets, presets, and skins. William was really engaged with the community and WS was stable back then. I really miss those days.

Despite what I think about William as a human being I do still have some love for Wusikstation. I got sounds out of it those many years ago that I have never been able to duplicate to this day despite having a folder full of more recent super synths.

Its wavesequecing capabilities have not been surpassed and perhaps not even matched since then but the number of true WS synths is pretty low. I think there may be only two or three others.

So at some point I may pay the $20 for Wusikstation AD not so much to support William but simply out of my love for Wusiktation of days gone by. It really was and perhaps still is a very unique synth.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

rasmusklump wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:20 am Save your time unsuscribing. You'll get spam anyways.
I use a junk email address at zoho.com not just for Wusik but for a lot of smaller developers or vendors. I won't shame them by naming them but to be honest I get far more spam from them than I do Wusik. It seems to go in spurts. I'll get nothing from him then three or four in one day but I just checked and in the 41 emails sent to that account today none of them are from Wusik. However several of them are from the same vendors or developers and they are as bad if not worse offenders than Wusik.

Yes it's annoying that it doesn't seem possible to successfully opt out of Wusik spam but in the grand scheme of things deleting the emails only takes few seconds or so. I'm off to clean up my zoho account right now.....

Ok I've still got WS version 8 and 9 installed and gave them a go this morning. Version 8 seems to be a bit more stable but version 9 has simply locked up several times to the point of being nearly unusable for creating new patches.

Some of my old patches still hold appeal especially those aimed at cinematic sci-fi sounds but most of them sound dated. But then I would hope my sound design skills have improved considerably over the last 20 years or it's been a waste of two decades.

Despite having made a ton of wavesequence patches in older versions I can't for the life of me put one together in version 8 or 9. He changed the way wavesequences are made after version 7 and it was not an improvement in my opinion. I find it very confusing compared to the old method.

Anyway having said that I'll give Wusikstation AD a go to see if things are better.

Here's a link to the Demo version:

https://www.wusik.com/online-store/WAD- ... p658403526

EDIT: *Sigh* for the love of god William. I can't install the demo version without installing the sample content. The installer asks for "1. bin". There is no "1.bin" in the download list. Only bin 2,3,4,5, and 6. :bang:
Last edited by Teksonik on Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

egbert101 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:50 am
BBFG# wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:07 pm So how many times would anyone go through it once you recognize it?
The pinnacle of liberal economics was the rational self-interested consumer. But the reality shows that the consumer is far from rational, making impulsive, stupid decisions, highly influenced or brainwashed by advertising or other selling tactics.
Sure. But continuing after being roused to the ruse parallels "Stockholm Syndrome".
It's like asking a battered spouse why they stay with their batterer. The answers are distortions in a rationale.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:03 am Here's a link to the Demo version:
https://www.wusik.com/online-store/WAD- ... p658403526
Wtf? So actually there is a demo version for the WS AD although there's absolutely no mention of it or a "Try Demo" button/link on the main WusikStation AD product page. Great! :roll:
Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:03 am EDIT: *Sigh* for the love of god William. I can't install the demo version without installing the sample content. The installer asks for "1. bin". There is no "1.bin" in the download list. Only bin 2,3,4,5, and 6. :bang:
Awesome! :roll:

I'm wondering if I download bins 2-6 at the same time if the installer would magically find or create Bin 1. Maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Wusik.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WusikStation 9 including wavesequencing still works on my Mac (10.14).
I forget what a wild instrument it is, with so much content from the golden age of sample design.
When the new AD version is fully functioning, it might be worthwhile.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Return to “Instruments”