VST License

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
alex.g
KVRist
59 posts since 22 Feb, 2005 from Italy

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:42 pm

Hi fellows!
I'm going to release some free vst plugins, so I've sent this email to Steinberg to receive some information more about their license, because I couldn't understand well how to send them the signed agreement:
Dear Steinberg staff,
I'm an audio plugins developer using the VST SDK.
I'm going to release some freeware VST plugins on my website and, if
I've well understood, I have to send you a signed copy of the VST
License coming with the SDK.
Do I have to send it to the fax number indicated in the contacts page
(++49 40 210 35-300)?
Could I send instead a scanned copy by e-mail?

Thank you in advance,
Best regards
since I'm a bit in a hurry with the release, and I haven't received an answer yet, I was wondering if any of you had ever done it before... and how!

Thank you for every eventual suggestion!
Alex

ost12666
KVRist
300 posts since 11 Feb, 2003

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:44 am

I didn't sent any signed agreement and don't remember I needed to do it, maybe just to agree online, don't remember... You do need to put something in your about box ,etc. In any case I wouldn't delay the release because of that.
Sometimes, do the wrong thing

haydxn
KVRAF
3364 posts since 16 Feb, 2004 from atop a katamari

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:10 am

when you obtain the VST SDK, you sign a little agreement there, and you can't get the SDK without doing so. that's pretty much as much as you need to do.
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

alex.g
KVRist
59 posts since 22 Feb, 2005 from Italy

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:21 am

Thank you all for the replies.
I thought the same as you, until I gave a better look at the VST Licensing Agreement.rtf included with the SDK.

Point 5 of chapter 2 (p.2) says:
5. If the Licensee is planning to publish a product, that is using parts or all of the Licensed Software Developer Kit, the Licensee is under the obligation to inform Steinberg about it by sending the signed ‘Steinberg VST PlugIns SDK Licensing Agreement’ to Steinberg, either by mail, or by fax.
I haven't found any other references to this thing on the official website (I regularly accepted the license before downloading the SDK), so I think it's not really applied, perhaps it was an old registration form.

So I'm going to follow your suggestions, and as soon as I upload the plugins I'll make you know :wink:
(I think for the end of the week)

Regards,
Alex

FEV
KVRist
151 posts since 9 Apr, 2002 from Poland

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:44 am

alex.g wrote:Thank you all for the replies.
I thought the same as you, until I gave a better look at the VST Licensing Agreement.rtf included with the SDK.

Point 5 of chapter 2 (p.2) says:
5. If the Licensee is planning to publish a product, that is using parts or all of the Licensed Software Developer Kit, the Licensee is under the obligation to inform Steinberg about it by sending the signed ‘Steinberg VST PlugIns SDK Licensing Agreement’ to Steinberg, either by mail, or by fax.
I haven't found any other references to this thing on the official website (I regularly accepted the license before downloading the SDK), so I think it's not really applied, perhaps it was an old registration form.
From what I read on vst-plugins list a while ago, many devs haven't done that (send signed license agreement). Steinberg isn't that "strict" about it, so don't sweat if you haven't done that :wink:
But if you want to be perfectly sure that you're doing everything right, then just fax the license to Steinberg, and release your plugins (you don't have to wait for their answer AFAIK).

cheers,
Bart

arakula
KVRAF
1935 posts since 16 Aug, 2004 from Vienna, Austria

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:47 pm

FEV wrote:But if you want to be perfectly sure that you're doing everything right, then just fax the license to Steinberg, and release your plugins (you don't have to wait for their answer AFAIK).
I sent them signed licence agreements for VST and ASIO, but never received an answer...
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

FEV
KVRist
151 posts since 9 Apr, 2002 from Poland

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:59 pm

arakula wrote: I sent them signed licence agreements for VST and ASIO, but never received an answer...
Yeah. I belive that this is their standard behaviour :wink:

cheers,
Bart

Rappo Clappo
KVRist
415 posts since 19 Sep, 2016 from Wonderland

Re: VST License

Post Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:42 am

I don't understand what the use of this discussion is; one only needs the agreement of Steinberg when the license is to be transferred. There's a PDF about it.

Google:

Steinberg VST Plug-In SDK Licensing Agreement
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
26183 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Re: VST License

Post Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:55 am

Rappo Clappo wrote:I don't understand what the use of this discussion is
what, this eleven year old discussion? what dont you understand? that things might have been slightly different over a decade ago? :idiot:
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

Rappo Clappo
KVRist
415 posts since 19 Sep, 2016 from Wonderland

Re: VST License

Post Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:31 am

@whyterabbyt

Hmm.. interesting. Afaiak I was posting under the 'obxd follow up' thread. Because I only clickz links in the feed. In fact I went back to 'obxd original' thread after posting and someone suggested to post another thread about VST licenses. I assumed it was this one.

I didn't look at the date of posting -why should I; I picked it from the 'recent posts' feed- :lol:
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”