considering xhip beta 7

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
12436 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:55 am

usual audio demo introduction (listen while reading :O):
http://xhip.cjb.net/xhip/audio/anna_mon ... na_mix.mp3

wip;

- set steal.mouse flags for group boxes.
- decreased saturation and increased brightness 50% for slider handles.
- fixed automation output.
- disabled output clipping by default. it should be stable in most hosts anyway, it seems.
- control movement outputs the current value for automation before any new value.
- improved graphics system, slightly faster.
- improved graphics system adding draw modes (add/sub/mul) enabling 3d type graphical effects.
- totally virtualized graphics system, now using GDI graphics module.
- removed "no-gui" version, since it is no longer required.
- improved look of controls and adjusted colors.
- added unison mode with 8 unisoned voices (max 128 at poly 16.)
- implemented a new memory block allocator, seems to be a speed increase.
- restructured audio code, seems to create even more speed increase.
- restructured gui code again in preperation for virtualized windowing system.
- i've been able to fix the idle problems and xhip now using very close to no cpu while idling.
- fixed bug with velocity not being applied to unison channels.
- modified envelopes with much faster minimum times and higher accuracy.
- changed param filter to use all integer math, slight speed/accuracy increase.
- worked on filter, xhip now has a virtually perfect 24db filter mode.
- implemented basic "Midi CC Learn", this is nothing special, it simply allows you to move controls
in full range, much like adjusting the parameter from within a host. this method is temporary.

but, i need some help on this one. first of all, the thing most people notice is the gui. can anyone suggest a very basic but visually implicative of changes modification i can do with the gui? its quite possible to rearange lots of stuff, or replace some controls if needed. i just have trouble motivating myself to do this since it seems perfect already to me, so any ideas/motivations would be apreciated.

also, i need more patches and banks, or at least some better organized. if anyone can rearange the current bank into some more useful collections, like "bass/lead/etc" banks, or maybe make some additional ones, it would be great. if i get stuck doing this, it will take quite some time, and take time away from other work (example, gui.)

other than that, it seems ready for a new release version, if
nobody can find any bugs. i have heard of error messages occuring in cubase once in a while, but it seems to be a bug with the cubase gui code, and nothing to do with xhip.

also, as usual, all kinds of suggestions are welcome, all of the systems are very advanced in xhip's code, so making extreme changes to them takes very little time and effort. for example i could implement 128 banks of 128 patches (like midi) and bank switching in about 10 minutes. (but the memory used would be silly, and it isnt really a useful thing to do, but just for example.)

and the synthesizer itself!
http://xhip.cjb.net/xhip/data/xhip_wip.zip

http://xhip.cjb.net/

i've really had a fantasy of being able to do the monkey_banana_mix type thing with drums and everything for years. and now, thanks to xhip, i've been able to do it.

why? WHY? you might ask. well, i'm obviously a very sick individual, good enough explaination for me, and it should be for you too.

\o/

KVRAF
6634 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:12 am

Hi
I really like that synth a lot : it is unique.
BBut i have a trouble : in Live4,; i can use it , but when i convert my track to audio, xhip whip is not heard on the bounced audio track !
I tried 2 times, checked to see if xhip part was not "mute", but no...
weird ?

KVRAF
1533 posts since 14 Oct, 2002

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:18 am

nice work aciddose :)..really nice

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:34 am

sink; i have no explaination for that, it works fine for me. possibly a live4 problem. do you notice live changing any of the parameters when it does that?

the following actions will cause a reset/mute of the synthesizer,
although this only lasts for one sample, and so it would need to occur every sample to cause that problem:

1) changing voice allocation, unison, etc
2) calling initprocess()

only other possible things to cause that would be having the
output volume set to zero, having a fully decayed mono voice, and
keeping the note held (wouldnt allow other notes to be triggered)

i cant think of much else, very strange.

i'm sure you'll figure it out, i'm also sure it probably has nothing to do with xhip.

edit:

i was wrong, download it again. something to do with the midi cc was being reset, also causing other things that shouldnt have been to be reset at the same time, at the wrong time, if you follow.

only, this wouldnt have made it mute.. so tell me if this change fixes your problem.
Last edited by aciddose on Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
326 posts since 9 Apr, 2003 from Tragorden

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:11 am

I like the gui.

KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:41 am

hi
i used the preset" moonbeam", no midiCC send, no automoation curve...
quite strange
i'll check if imade any 'debutante'mistake, but i don't think so.
I'll try again

thanks again for your synth
very usefull and nice sounding (the gui too isn't conventionnal)
and it is incredible the file size is soooo small !

KVRian
889 posts since 10 Jul, 2004

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:32 am

thx aciddose for yet this huge update.
but is the gui skinnable yet?
the interface I like( i prefer small multipage guuis than huge 1 page ones takin up the whole screen)....but i would like to be able to at least change the feel of synth with custom backgrounds image,buttons...that possible?
thx

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:27 pm

sc, there is no image stuff in it yet, for tha ti would need to add extentions for decoding images, and then for displaying them. the displaying part is planned, since in the future my font engine is going to be bitmap based, fonts will be rendered, and then overlayed. however, a image format decoding module isnt planned, and would be required to allow bitmap import. drawing bitmaps is easy, although quite slow. to maintain the speed of the gui with bitmaps, would require i implement bitmaps directly as primatives into the graphics system. full skinning support would put the code size of xhip up about 64k. it would also require either an external editor, or some kludged .ini file method (winamp, etc)

basically, it might be possible in the future, but the code is no where near that right now.

currently, everything is made using one function, setpixel(x, y, color)

KVRian
889 posts since 10 Jul, 2004

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:04 pm

nice
ok so commenting on the gui as it is now ...if i have to find some negatives:
-i like the old sliders much better than the new ones. more slick more stylish.
-I find that red text used for preset names and in the control section a bit cheap looking.
-maybe u could move that "control" section to the "main" page ...and have one less page that way. there's surely space to fit both on one page and would still make sense that way....unless u have more parameters in mind to add to the "main" page.

apart from that its really a decent gui and there's really not that much worth improving or bothering with. does the job ;)

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:28 am

which old sliders? when they were grey? before i added the "3d" effect? or as old as the vertical ones with the shaded text and edges? i must have gone through 15 different types so far :P

i just made the text red at random, since it needs to be some color. the text colors could be standardized across the interface, as well as with the sliders, if that looks better. i found it a bit bland. when i implement the bitmap fonts i'll be able to use grey-scale anti-aliased chars, and several different sets of them, so that'll improve the text a lot.

the control page doesnt fit because none of the parameters on that page are part of the synthesizer, they're part of the control / notelogic. when i rearange the controls, i will fill up the blank space with other stuff, probably compressing everything into either two or three pages, i can make the pages wider/taller to fit everything.

so i suppose mainly i just need to start work on the final interface in one shot, no upgrades :/

oh well, i'll try.

KVRAF
2939 posts since 18 Jul, 2005

Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:42 pm

Well, if you are thinking of getting a new gui done for Xhip Aciddose, a very talented guy is offering his skill and time here for free, provided that the synth costs the same.

KVRAF
1855 posts since 22 Mar, 2002 from Timisoara, Romania

Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:49 am

the page / download doesnt work ...

KVRAF
4760 posts since 26 Apr, 2002 from the bogely factory

Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:01 am

do your thang aciddose,i like your style. :violin:

KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:14 am

do your thang aciddose,i like your style
i agree.
kinda unique looking and sounding synth. Keep it like this, and do notm ake another metal/wood/3d skinned synth.
SOmetimes, it can be nice, but trying to create a full "numeric style" thing is quite important too.

Banned
4026 posts since 27 Jan, 2004

Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:15 am

I can't ge to the download...server's down?

Return to “Instruments”