VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
gy
KVRist
Topic Starter
188 posts since 13 Jun, 2004 from SW England

Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:45 am

I've just uploaded a new version of GSnap (still beta) to the GVST website (click on pic below). The parameters and their ranges have changed, so it won't be compatible with the previous version.

This update brings the ability to freely select 'snap-notes' and provides a graphical display of the input and output pitch.

There's still no manual (I might give an overview of the settings later in this thread). Hopefully you'll be able to work it out.

That's it for now...
Last edited by gy on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midiworks
KVRAF
2054 posts since 3 Jun, 2001 from Not far from Australia

Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:44 am

Cool Graham !!!

Works nice. :)
DSP with attitude

LIMITAPROACHINGINFINITY
KVRAF
1850 posts since 13 Nov, 2004

Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:06 pm

Thanks for all your plugins man.. Seldom does someone give away such a large set of STANDARDIZED plugins.. Same UI, same feel..

Even though i have ext, so it doesnt matter to me, it would be cool if you made a gplug chainer that is like a modular router of all your gplugs on a blank canvass. You could add,delete,reroute etc.. Just because it would be cool to save custom gplug routings as one fxb!
The following statement is true.
The previous statement is false.

spacedad
KVRAF
4760 posts since 26 Apr, 2002 from the bogely factory

Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:39 pm

thank you,that's great news.i did try it on win98se and it was working fine,and i thought it would be good if you could choose which notes,so great news. :D i also tried the compressor,which was sounding very good,the gate feature was nice,i wasn't sure exactly what it was doing,but i was getting good results.i've gotta try out some more soon.thanks very much for these. 8) (bloody nice gui,too)

Lunch Money
KVRAF
12977 posts since 29 Sep, 2003 from Ottawa, Canada

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:16 am

Graham,

Neat ideas going forth with this one, but at the end of the day I have to admit the old one was working better for me--

1. No assign key knob!
2. You can't manually create keys, either, unless I'm mistaken or unless it's not quite working right. You can select which notes have 'snap' but that means that the rest simply don't have snap, and off-key notes are allowed to survive.

So, ultimately the last one offered more functionality for me and my brute-force approach to vocals.

In good news, I think it's working the way you intended it to-- Let's say you want to leave a relatively unaltered performance, but there's this one little part where you know the D is flat. It'll leave everything intact except for the D when it's encountered, at which time it will be snapped into place according to the settings chosen.

I like that ability!

But I really DO miss the ability to snap to a key. Once you discover a way to incorporate both, either simultaneously (which could have uses!) or as exclusive options, you'll be all set!

Greg

Lunch Money
KVRAF

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:28 am

After a few more minutes of dicking around:

- Is it just me or is it less aggressively tuning, even on extreme settings? Anybody else notice?

- If it's going to have 'spot-tuning' functionality, perhaps the widgets can activate "tune THIS note" instead of "don't tune this note!"

Just thinking aloud....

Greg

gy
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:32 am

Hi Greg. Firstly, yes, it was less aggressive. I had limited the attack to a longer minimum, but I have restored the 1ms minimum if you download it again.

You should still be able to force the input to any given key. If you highlight the notes for e.g. C-major and ensure that 'Threshold' is at least 100 cents, then any input will snap to the nearest on-key pitch.

The 'Threshold' parameter determines the range of pitches above and below a 'snap-note' that will be forced to that note.

I hope that made sense. The next update will display these snap-ranges on the graph, which will make things much clearer than any explanation.

flex42
KVRist
366 posts since 1 Sep, 2004

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:46 am

discovered your plugs recently, big THANKS!

-janne
KVRer
23 posts since 4 Feb, 2005

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:32 am

Hi gy and thank you for developing this great tool!

I think it sounds really good, but i have one suggestion for controlling the pitches. It would be so cool if user could control allowed pitches with midi keyboard or in host's piano roll. For example, if user draws notes C, E and G on piano roll (at the same time position), gsnap wouldn't allow any other notes for the melody, but tunes to one of them (which ever is the nearest).

In that way user could control precisely what parts of the melody need correction and leave the rest untouched.

The problem with fixed scales is that melodies can change the scale in the middle of the song.

-janne

gy
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:56 am

Hi Janne. Thanks for the suggestion. Ideally, I would like to add a 'manual' mode to GSnap that does exactly what you describe. It would be a simple addition in fact. The only problem being that Cubase, at least, doesn't allow the routing of a MIDI channel to a VST effect.

If anyone knows how this might be possible I would be interested in your ideas. Alternatively, if you know of a host that supports the routing of both MIDI and audio to a VST effect, then I would be interested in trying it out.

rpc9943
KVRAF
6490 posts since 14 Jun, 2004 from Rochester, NY

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:09 am

check out tracktion, you can easily route things via racks.

ROnC

gy
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:22 am

Thanks ROnC, I'll give it a go... or at least I will when the Mackie site's up again.

PS. I've added a multi-band compressor and stereo enhancer to the beta section if anybody wants to try it out.

Lunch Money
KVRAF

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:41 am

Yes, I also vote for writing it despite Cubase's shortcomings. :D Enough hosts (Tracktion, eXT, Mulch, Bidule, to begin with) support the function, so a lot of us (OK, I'm being selfish... it's me!) will get a lot of use out of it.

And Cubase users can get themselves eXT. ;)

Thanks for the instructions on picking a key. It takes a lot more work for me now because I'm a bit of a theory numpty... as a bit of a hack on guitar, I "know" what key I'm in due to the relative position of the patterns that I recognize, but I can't identify each note within that key without a lot of counting and thinking. ;)

Perhaps setting a key could still be in there? When the user picks an actual key, the cents knob automatically goes to 100 and the right notes are highlighted on the keyboard?

For the sake of a powerful tool, I am CERTAINLY more than happy to do the extra work of setting a key myself, so don't take this as ingratitude. :D Just a suggestion for IF you wanted to do it that way. If not, I'm still thrilled with Gsnap. :D

Thanks for returning the aggressiveness. I haven't checked it yet, but I'm sure it'll be cool.

Greg

rivrock
KVRist
205 posts since 9 Feb, 2005

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:18 pm

Hi gy

Ive just tested GMulti in Tracktion, no problems so far, and it sounds great, I love it, a couple more presets suited toward acoustic guitar and vocals would be nice,....for others, that is, here at kvr who fit that genre,....not for me, oh no,....for others :lol:

sig: no sig, tryng to stay out of trouble :lol:

robenestobenz
KVRAF
2939 posts since 18 Jul, 2005

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:47 pm

Excellent, thanks so much for your plugins, Graham.

Return to “Effects”