The best Impulse Response [IR] sites

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Newbie Brad wrote:Any suggestions for sites rich with guitar speaker cab and/or amp impulses? I've spent some time looking with disappointing results.
Same here can anyone point us to some sites that has some good impulses to load into boogex (other than beamsonic) ????
I find a lot of reverb impulses but no amp impulses

Please :help: me .....

thanks

Amp modelling has mostly to do with distortion and other nonlinearities... you can't model these with an IR

--th
I'm the stereo chancellor

dsp music wrote:
Newbie Brad wrote:Any suggestions for sites rich with guitar speaker cab and/or amp impulses? I've spent some time looking with disappointing results.
Same here can anyone point us to some sites that has some good impulses to load into boogex (other than beamsonic) ????
I find a lot of reverb impulses but no amp impulses

Please :help: me .....

thanks
noisevault has some amps irs.
also those (some of those irs require some trimming at the beginning):
http://annex.ax84.com/l6cabs.zip
http://annex.ax84.com/Digitrack_Generat ... pulses.zip
http://annex.ax84.com/mr8_impulses.zip

I would just like to say that I own a few IR bundles that I overpayed good cash for (spirit canyon, etc) and while they are cool, I dont think they're any better than the free ones available on the net.
www.strangejuice.com
Music, Sound, Web Design

...and why should they, after all many the free ones are also recorded with pro equipment and by people who know their stuff.

--th

NoiseVault still has a great collection of impulses. It used to be a pretty lively site but it seems to have gone very quiet this last year. I am not sure why but some time back several characters were getting on that site and hammering the idea that some impulses being distributed weren't kosher. Acrimonious threads ran for pages. It strikes me as strange that a person with these views would even visit that site unless they wanted to put a spanner in the works.The only reason I can see for their zealotry is that they saw distributing impulses for money as a business opportunity for themselves or others or they had some doubts about the legitimacy of impulses per se.

(These being impulses of hardware verbs, software verbs and halls) This last position is seems about as valid as attacks on the legitimacy of sampling - which, for example, puts string players out of work.

I am not interested in recycling those arguments so don't bother (FOAD in advance :x:P ) but the end result seems to have been that traffic on the site has diminished to a great degree - and somewhere out there in the ether a few guys are selling expensive CDs full of impulses which - by most reports - are no better than the ones uploaded to Noisevault.

LIMITAPROACHINGINFINITY wrote:Looking to load into sir.. What do you guys think are the best set of high quality IR's... Im not interested in downloading a bunch of different sets but mainly just one giant set..
I still have the collection that came with SoundForge. It's about the only thing that I still use from the program. From what I remember, you can download the entire {large} package at several sites.

...Unless you're looking for a specific room or microphone or whatever type... I just use samples. {Clarinet, bassoon, violin, etc} It's one of the few things I do use commercial samples for {that and CUBE}. Samples of saws, waveforms and so on give you great results...

Prosoniq also has a great collection of free IRs on their freebies page.

--th

Regarding ECHOCHAMBER....
Sorry, but with the altavista translation, I can't tell if all those files will be useful for me (Windows XP) or if some/all of them are only MAC.

If so, can someone suggest sites for impulses for PC?

Thanks!

gerry wrote:Regarding ECHOCHAMBER....
Sorry, but with the altavista translation, I can't tell if all those files will be useful for me (Windows XP) or if some/all of them are only MAC.

If so, can someone suggest sites for impulses for PC?

Thanks!
Besides the odd set of proprietary format files (for Altiverb for example) impluses are going to be archives of wav files and will work in convolution plugs on both platforms.

Thanks!
I'm using CubaseSX3, record at 24 bit, mixdown to 16 bit.
Some of the echochamber files are 32 bit...will 32 bit files work in the SIR plugin on material recorded at 24 bit?

gerry wrote:Thanks!
I'm using CubaseSX3, record at 24 bit, mixdown to 16 bit.
Some of the echochamber files are 32 bit...will 32 bit files work in the SIR plugin on material recorded at 24 bit?
Yes. The entire VST signal path is 32 bit.

IRs of amp cabinets can be stunningly amazing. You can apply these to amp vsts to make them useable, but on mic'd sounds, synths, etc., they will surprise you.
tahome wrote:Amp modelling has mostly to do with distortion and other nonlinearities... you can't model these with an IR

--th

is there a place for the IR ignorant person like myself? i keep reading about people using IR to help their guitar sounds and I'm honestly in the dark. I've downloaded SIR and the Altiverb demo and played with them, but still feel just as stupid as before. i've read about what IR are and how they are created, but applying them is what's getting me. anyone here use them to enhance their guitar sound? if so, how? thanks.

lates

t-willy

Return to “Effects”