Fruity Loops lifetime upgrades

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I understand if you buy the online version of FL you get a lifetime of free upgrades. Has anyone had any problems with this?
I read somewhere (don't know if it was here) that some people had to pay for upgrades even if they had purchased the online version.

I have never had a problem with free upgrades. You do have to understand, however, that while the upgrade for the FL Studio program is free, new plugins might cost extra. Once you buy the plug, however, upgrades to that plug are also free. For example, in the recent 6.0 upgrade, the new Directwave plug cost extra.

John

Nope, upgrades are free. The only sort of exception was when Fruity Loops officially became FLStudio. At that point, it became fully tiered, with old FL users getting the mid-range product for free, with the option of upgrading to "Producer" version for a fee. Right now, updates for one's current product are free (while upgrades to Producer from Fruity Loops Edition still cost $$$). The only thing you would pay for is additional premium instruments like Sytrus and Direct Wave. Trust me, when you consider some of the asshat "upgrades" some companies foist upon their users, FLStudio is a steal of a deal. Gol and JMC keep putting together new stuff for their users. Coming up soon is the so-called "Juice Pack", which is a collection of their best FL effects in VST format for use in other hosts. Free for users of FLStudio.

ATA

I bought it at v4 and am happily enjoying v6 :D

Yeah, that makes sense. SO if one wants to upgrade sans the plug ins, they have the option to do so that way they can benefit from the new features of the program.
Otherwise, you will pay extra. Ok, not too bad i guess. Sure beats Ableton where you are paying for every major upgrade. It's seriously killing me so i am looking to make a switch since i will just keep Live for loop manipulation.
One other thing, I am thinking about the producer version. I assume this is exactly like the XXL version sans the plugs correct?

Coming up soon is the so-called "Juice Pack", which is a collection of their best FL effects in VST format for use in other hosts
Oh shit...this is GREAT news because they have some REALLY nice plugs!!!

The "producer" edition is the full program with all capabilities enabled. "XXL" is a deal where you buy all of the FL Studio stuff you don't have and you get a 40% discount. I have invoked this deal several times. If you are up to date with FL Studio plugs, and a new amazing one comes out, you can buy it for 40% off. However, if you are starting out bare bones, you would have to buy everything you don't have to get the 40% off deal, so you'd have to buy Sytrus, and Directwave, and Simsynth, and the soundfont player, and EZ editor, etc. and that's still a good deal but lots of money too, and some of that stuff maybe you don't really want.

John

S.HUSH wrote:I understand if you buy the online version of FL you get a lifetime of free upgrades. Has anyone had any problems with this?
I read somewhere (don't know if it was here) that some people had to pay for upgrades even if they had purchased the online version.
Free as a bird.
And I love them for it.
I have never had a problem with it.

Like someone said, the plugins are not free though.

Why am I still awake....

S.HUSH wrote:I understand if you buy the online version of FL you get a lifetime of free upgrades. Has anyone had any problems with this?

No. I purchased 3 and am now using 6, all free.
S.HUSH wrote: I read somewhere (don't know if it was here) that some people had to pay for upgrades even if they had purchased the online version.
You read wrong. :D

Carb.

atomic_(no)afro wrote: Coming up soon is the so-called "Juice Pack", which is a collection of their best FL effects in VST format for use in other hosts. Free for users of FLStudio.

ATA
I think that WaveShaper and Edison are new plug-ins. Both are really cool. I have the XXL version of FL6 and I'm curious what these other plugs are going to cost. Hopefully, it's cheap because I really like WaveShaper. It would be great if they are free. I like FL's plug-ins but I prefer linear DAWs so I use FL as a plug-in, most of the time. It's a good program and a great value but I would prefer something that you can skin, like eXT. It's not just for "looks" but for function. I use eXT for live work because I need a bright (high contrast) display. FL's Rewire hasn't worked out for me, either. I know they're working on it, though.

FL is a heck of a program. I'd use it for live work if I could customize it and use Rewire properly. Until then, I'm using eXT and Reason in standalone.

Best wishes.

FL is a heck of a program. I'd use it for live work if I could customize it
I heard there was a plug in that you could use with FL that allows one to trigger patterns like Ableton Live's session view clips. This would be cool because i use Live (as well as EnergyXT). Any idea what the name of this plug in is and where i can get it?

Also, thanks for the responses.

I have another important question,
how does it work with FL licenses? I ask because with Ableton Live, i am given only two keys to unlock Live. After i use up the two keys, i have to constantly E mail them to get a new key with an explanation as to WHY i need that key. Bunch of bullshit IMO. I feel like i i am renting the software for the $500 I spent on it as opposed to owning it. I go through computers like hotcakes so two keys is inconvenient.
Anyways, with FL, can i use the registered version on multiple computers or??? What's the limitiations on obtaining a license? Thanks in advance!

S.HUSH wrote: I have another important question,
how does it work with FL licenses? I ask because with Ableton Live, i am given only two keys to unlock Live. After i use up the two keys, i have to constantly E mail them to get a new key with an explanation as to WHY i need that key. Bunch of bullshit IMO. I feel like i i am renting the software for the $500 I spent on it as opposed to owning it. I go through computers like hotcakes so two keys is inconvenient.
Anyways, with FL, can i use the registered version on multiple computers or??? What's the limitiations on obtaining a license? Thanks in advance!
FLS does not lock your license to a particular machine - you download a "keyfile" (actually a set of registry entries) that activate FLStudio and any add-on/extra-cost components. The only thing they check is that when you go to download a new keyfile, they keep count of how many different IP's you use, if they see an exceptional number they may take action.

I have copied the same keyfile to multiple machines - three at one point in time, although lately I'm confining all of my music work to one machine.

Doug
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

Edit...stupid question...i got it now.

Not bad. I can download one keyfile and reuse it over and over and in as many machines as i like....I'm two minutes away from buying this thing. I just want to play with it some more.

Of course FL is not the only host that offers free upgrades. There has only ever been one paid upgrade for ORION, just as FL changed their tiers once so you had to pay to stay at the top level of the product. But with ORION you get all the new instruments and effects included, even Toxic 2 which is made by another developer. So in reality it is much "free-er" than FL. eXT upgrades are also free, including v2 which will be a total rewrite. FL may trumpet about it but there are plenty of other developers with similar or better update records.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:Of course FL is not the only host that offers free upgrades. There has only ever been one paid upgrade for ORION, just as FL changed their tiers once so you had to pay to stay at the top level of the product. But with ORION you get all the new instruments and effects included, even Toxic 2 which is made by another developer. So in reality it is much "free-er" than FL. eXT upgrades are also free, including v2 which will be a total rewrite. FL may trumpet about it but there are plenty of other developers with similar or better update records.
BONES, Orion is dead, get over it. :P

Carb.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”