How do you MIDI "strum"?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
KVRAF
3364 posts since 16 Feb, 2004 from atop a katamari

Post Sun May 21, 2006 5:24 pm

okay, here's a test build to demonstrate the main system in action.

The main chord widget is the same as from TrackPAD3. If you've not used it before, you operate it as follows:

- left-click on a string to 'hold' a fret.
- click on an existing dot to open the string
- right-click a string to mute it
- drag the fret numbering strip to simulate a capo

the control along the bottom adjusts the time (in seconds) that the strings will ring for.

to strum, simply move _any_ cc or pitchbend connected to the plugin's input. makes sure the output goes to a synth, of course!

http://haydxn.net/content/plugins/Guita ... rTest1.zip

at the moment there's no additional controls on the interface, although my model will support more features. for example, custom tunings, hammer on/pull-offs (which you can sort of do by clicking whilst strumming), different strengths of plucks, etc, a special behaviour for the strumming of muted strings (e.g. a 'cHK' sound :) ). i will also of course add multiple pages of chords which you can switch via midi notes.

i'm thinking of other things that could be added. for example, each chord could have a number of assigned 'hammer on' notes, which could augment the chord slightly. a set of keys on your keyboard would be set aside to momentarily select that augmented version of the chord.

if anyone has any other ideas, do let me know! i'll also be putting in an indicator as to where the 'pick'/strum-head is in relation to the strings, as well as a method of picking individual strings (again, six keys could be assigned on the keyboard to do this). ooh, and a 'stop' key to mute the strings.
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

KVRAF
16120 posts since 2 Dec, 2003 from Nashville, TN

Post Sun May 21, 2006 11:16 pm

Ok, I have this before Real Guitar, and it doesn't seem to be working. It's late, so maybe I'm missing something.

Koolkeys
My host is better than your host

KVRAF

Post Sun May 21, 2006 11:23 pm

I've tried this with a couple plugs now, but as soon as it's in front of any synth, it gives me the error message of having synths after it and it may not create any sound. And it doesn't. Again, I'm probably missing something very obvious.

I'd like to test this. I'm very thankful that you would do this. It's a great idea!

Koolkeys

KVRAF

Post Mon May 22, 2006 2:59 am

my idiotic bad- i forgot that Tracktion handles the isSynth flag differently to eXT. might have been a sensible idea to actually test it in Tracktion seeing as it's in the RMS forum!!

same link as before, this one definitely works in tracktion.

incidentally, the sound made will probably be quite disappointing as all notes are at maximum velocity at the moment.

it is, however, pretty neat to be able to choose the notes that you're going to play on a guitar representation. as a guitarist i find it miles easier to visualise chords like this. plus transposition is easy with the sliding strip on the left of the diagram. it would be foolish to not have the ability to pluck the strings individually with midi notes! :) i may set aside two octaves for this; six keys (c-a for easy visual reference) in one would pluck the strings as normal, but the other octave would also send the note-offs when the keys are released.

KVRAF

Post Mon May 22, 2006 3:08 am

oh- and a word of warning- at the moment rendering using this plug should be done at 1x speed, as the string ring-time is done using timers rather than samples-processed. i will change that ultimately but it's a lot more work ;)

KVRAF

Post Mon May 22, 2006 5:17 am

also, if anyone's interested in the guitar model, the source is here. it's highly unlikely that anyone wants to of course, but just in case! This isn't the source code for the whole plugin, incidentally - i want to tidy that stuff up a bit first! once i've made it neater i'll put it all up, then any other jucey coders can tweak it to their own wishes.

KVRAF

Post Mon May 22, 2006 9:40 am

Ok, it works this time!

It seems very hard for me to get full strums though. I'm using the pitch wheel at the moment, but even starting at one end and going all the way to the other doesn't give me a full strum. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, maybe I'm using the diagram backwards or something, because the chords I enter don't seem to sound right. I'll let you know more when I get a chance to play more. Gotta get some work done(working on a program of my own and a couple sample libraries we've been producing).

Thanks again for this. I think it will be cool once it gets going!

Koolkeys

KVRer
9 posts since 7 Jun, 2006 from UK

Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:14 am

Just spotted this thread -I wrote a Windows app called Mamba a couple of years back to automate midi chord strums and arpeggios.
It was for sale but now it's now free - if you go to www.bluespook.com you can download it and get a free licence key to unlock it; there are also a few samples and some background info. (There's a few references to it in earlier KVR posts if you search for them)
If I get time I intend to release the source (it's written in Tcl/Tk).

KVRAF
12977 posts since 29 Sep, 2003 from Ottawa, Canada

Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:46 am

Koolkeys:

Remember to string together notes from the correct octaves. And that some of the notes are doubled or even tripled in certain chords. Also, when strumming a rhythm, the strummer rarely actually plays ALL of the strings all of the time. On the upstroke, he might hit just a few of the "treble" notes, and then vice-versa for the down notes, hitting just some of the bass notes. Also, there's a great many "muted" strums, where the fingers are lifted and the strings aren't ringing out at all.

On top of that, whether you're actually in the right key or not, many strummers (myself DEFINITELY included) will let the rhythm dominate (obviously, to me, but some are more concerned with the notes) and therefore might hit the open EAGDBE strings when switching chords, if the rhythm happens to coincide that way.

Greg

KVRist
116 posts since 17 Jan, 2006

Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:17 am

i too taught Yngwie licks in the late 80's

KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:26 am

Greg, what I am doing with it is just putting in chord charts from my guitar chords book. So I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

I do have a small library of MIDI strums that use the actual notes the guitar would be playing, but it's far from complete, and was made by looking at a fretboard diagram and a keyboard, and counting semi-tones for each fret and blah blah blah, they sound pretty good. Now if there was just a way to load them into something. Is there anything out there to load these strums into? Maybe to play with one note?

Maybe this plug could evolve to be able to do this.

Brent

KVRAF
4906 posts since 10 Aug, 2004 from Colorado Springs

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:37 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just found THIS over at nicfit's cool midi plugin page.

I haven't tried it, but it might be worth investigation. Snoop around on his page and you'll find other cool midi mangling plugins.

-Scott

KVRAF
6519 posts since 13 Mar, 2002 from UK

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:40 am

Ah yes, strum.
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

Return to “Tracktion”