otiumFX Sonitex STX-1260 Released!

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Sickle
KVRAF
5025 posts since 13 Dec, 2005 from The Void

Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:28 pm

Rune and I go back a ways..I ain't got no worries..

:D
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

liars&ashes
KVRian
1414 posts since 29 Feb, 2004

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:27 am

----I tried the demo, and on some patches I don't get it, it's triggering samples of *noise* or something ? The filesize would indicate there are samples in it too, so I don't think I'm just slinging mud here. What is the deal with samples in this plug ?

Jeff

pw
KVRAF
1530 posts since 3 Apr, 2002 from desolation row

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:38 am

liars&ashes wrote:----I tried the demo, and on some patches I don't get it, it's triggering samples of *noise* or something ? The filesize would indicate there are samples in it too, so I don't think I'm just slinging mud here. What is the deal with samples in this plug ?

Jeff
the manual explains it. there are some options for sampled noise.

SongMonkey
KVRist
363 posts since 13 Apr, 2004 from NYC, USA

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:18 am

Presets are much more dependent on the source material than with a lot of plugins. I can get a really great sounding patch on on one drumloop, for instance, that sounds like nothing remotely interesting on another loop. There are just so many parameters to tweak.

But this is some great coding. Way to go, Rune! In spite of the fact that a lot of the parameters deal with sonic degradation in one form or another, it's got this wonderful soft analogue-ish sound to it. And the mid-side controls on the mix page are killer.

Nice work.

:)

jones-y
KVRAF
2130 posts since 14 Feb, 2003

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:45 am

:party: :party: :party:

Rune, you've answered my prayers! Can't wait to try this out!!!

maki
KVRian
514 posts since 2 May, 2004

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:56 am

maki wrote:
maki wrote:D-E-M-O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dd-eeeee-mmm-oooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :x
Still no demo!

shamann
KVRAF
12245 posts since 18 Aug, 2003

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:04 am

maki wrote:Still no demo!
http://www.otiumfx.com/downloads.php

First one on the list.

bmanic
KVRAF
8110 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:58 pm

SongMonkey wrote:Presets are much more dependent on the source material than with a lot of plugins. I can get a really great sounding patch on on one drumloop, for instance, that sounds like nothing remotely interesting on another loop.
Yes, this is very important to understand. One of the main things to carefully tune is the volume of the audio going in to the plugin. I'm not sure this was ever implemented into Sonitex (I didn't even think of it before now!) but you should be able to tweak in the host. Another important thing to check is the gate threshold in the "noise" tab.

Think of Sonitex presets a bit like compressor presets. You will always have to tune the input volume according to program material. Could be a good idea to add in the manual which controls are amplitude dependent (the gate, drive, envelope followers etc).

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Liero
KVRian
967 posts since 6 Mar, 2004

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:45 pm

I like Sonitex but have a few quibbles:

-Why is the "speed"-knob in dynamics limited to 72ms?

-To my ear the distortion module sounds are all too fuzzy. I don't know why but I have Reason's Scream 3 and Izotope Trash which both have more pleasant (yet similarly harsh) distortion.

-Couldn't the pitch instability module have an option for only slowing down or only speeding up instead of going down to slow and then up to too fast like a vibrato. (With only slowing down you could get better scratchlike sounds)

-Noise module: Why max gain on faders +3db? I have a loud drumloop and can barely hear the noise with +3db.

The bitgate is the most interesting feature although I have no idea what it exactly does. All-in-all this plugin sounds very neutral and transparent to me. For a plugin that's meant to "funk up" this is needs more personality and freedom to really mash things up! IMO.

Anyway, I just pointed the negative things out. Amidst the last fifty or so plugins that have appeared on KVR:s news list this is definetely in the top ten.

dr. orange
Banned
318 posts since 27 Jul, 2005

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:36 pm

I just tried the demo... It actually was a waste of time... It's just another Pitchshifter, Distortion, Compression, Filter, Cracklesamples, Clicksamples, Noisesamples etc.
Nothing to do with adding some grit or whatever you call it to your stuff...

shamann
KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:50 pm

dr. orange wrote:Nothing to do with adding some grit or whatever you call it to your stuff...
Please, what would you describe then as adding grit to your stuff?

dr. orange
Banned
318 posts since 27 Jul, 2005

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 pm

shamann wrote:
dr. orange wrote:Nothing to do with adding some grit or whatever you call it to your stuff...
open your mind

I mean, honestly, are you serious?

SongMonkey
KVRist
363 posts since 13 Apr, 2004 from NYC, USA

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:29 pm

I'll "open my mind" if you'll do some rudimentary explaining of yours first. You are completely vague.

On the Noise tab there are no less than twenty different kinds of "grit" you can lay on the sound, adjusted to the degree one likes. There's a "custom" noise setting that I haven't even had time to explore. And this doesn't even take into account the different distortions or the insanely detailed varieties of downsampling one can implement. Did you give yourself more than five minutes to use this thing?

No grit? :shock: Just what is the definition of "grit" in your world?

:?:

shamann
KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:36 pm

dr. orange wrote:open your mind

I mean, honestly, are you serious?
Serious about what? I asked you a simple question. Apparently one that was difficult to answer.

And since it would seem I need to explain things at a remedial level for you to understand, I did not say that I disagreed with you, I merely asked what you thought grit would be if this was not it.

pw
KVRAF
1530 posts since 3 Apr, 2002 from desolation row

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:00 pm

After a few hours now of treating drums: Brilliant plug-in- lots of room to shape and twist with all those parameters, very well laid out, and great sound!

Well Done Rune! :love:

Return to “Effects”