How not to master an album.. holy crap?!?!?!?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
User avatar
spaceman
KVRAF
8427 posts since 9 Jan, 2004 from leroyaumeuni

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:02 am

the new Muse album.. one of the tracks

Image


what on earth where those guys at the mastering house thinking?
:roll:
Honestly, those people should be named and shamed for producing something like this.. they completely f**ked up the album
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

even7
KVRist
350 posts since 9 Aug, 2005

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:16 am

shit that's making my head hurt just by looking at the image.

back in the day i used to really enjoy origin of symmetry, but now, besides the mastering, the music is crap as well.
Image

User avatar
spaceman
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8427 posts since 9 Jan, 2004 from leroyaumeuni

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:21 am

even7 wrote:shit that's making my head hurt just by looking at the image.

back in the day i used to really enjoy origin of symmetry, but now, besides the mastering, the music is crap as well.
the new album has grown on me but I can't enjoy it much because of the sound.. f**king hell, it's like a mono recording using out of phase microphones
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Reverse Engineer
KVRAF
4969 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from Glasgow

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:28 am

Man, even i can do a better job than that and i'm shit.

User avatar
spaceman
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8427 posts since 9 Jan, 2004 from leroyaumeuni

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:31 am

"maybe we can stick a limiter on top of the other three limiters.." :roll:
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Reverse Engineer
KVRAF
4969 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from Glasgow

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:36 am

The title of the song is rather ironic.

Marando
KVRist
108 posts since 4 Sep, 2003 from Holland

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:51 am

Is it from the original album or did you perhaps download it? (legally or not, that's not the issue here..) Sometimes the downloads are way more compressed then the version on the cd.. don't ask me why this is, I just noticed this multiple times.
Music... life would be boring without it.

The Belonging Kind
KVRist
59 posts since 15 Jul, 2006 from Belfast/Liverpool UK

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:56 am

:bang: It's still not loud enough...compress it more damn it :bang:
BRICK WALL THAT BASTARD!
yea...that's better...no dynamics at all...lovely stuff.

User avatar
spaceman
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8427 posts since 9 Jan, 2004 from leroyaumeuni

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:09 am

Marando1 wrote:Is it from the original album or did you perhaps download it? (legally or not, that's not the issue here..) Sometimes the downloads are way more compressed then the version on the cd.. don't ask me why this is, I just noticed this multiple times.
someone else posted that image (i'm just hosting it now to show here)

I just imported some tracks in audacity (wav straight from the cd) and this is the result

Image

as The Belonging Kind just said, there's no dynamics to be found in this album. At moments it sound like all the instruments are on top of each other with a stereo field the width of a tooth pick
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

kilroy
KVRian
1219 posts since 12 Aug, 2002

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:18 am

spaceman wrote:...there's no dynamics to be found in this album. At moments it sound like all the instruments are on top of each other with a stereo field the width of a tooth pick
Aye...and to think of the money spent on this record just to do that to it in the end.



Nice... :roll:
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders - Lao Tzu

User avatar
toine6
KVRian
1316 posts since 29 Mar, 2002 from Salt Lake City, Utah - U.S.A.

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:33 am

Well there's that part at the start and the end isn't there, I don't know what you all are complaining about.

:hihi:

flanneljammies
KVRist
462 posts since 5 Apr, 2004 from Madison WI

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:19 am

You know what's funny? I was looking at the orignal image trying to figure out what was going, becuase I thought the black was the wave form... All of a sudden I had a gestalt switch and realized it was the green... Then, of course, I went HOLY SHIT!
At home, he's a tourist...

jkotz
KVRist
188 posts since 23 Feb, 2004 from Between the headphones

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:33 am

flanneljammies wrote:You know what's funny? I was looking at the orignal image trying to figure out what was going, becuase I thought the black was the wave form... All of a sudden I had a gestalt switch and realized it was the green... Then, of course, I went HOLY SHIT!
I did the exact same thing. I thought there was some random glitch in QC that let a bunch of CDs with truncated audio out to the public. The fact that this was done on purpose makes the reality worse.
"I drank what?"
Socrates

WoJ
KVRAF
1906 posts since 5 Feb, 2005 from UK - Stafford/Lancaster (uni)

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:44 am

ahhh, now it makes sense. Man im slooow. :hihi:

WoJ

Spaceman Sounds
KVRian
580 posts since 3 Feb, 2005

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:53 am

Same with the Depeche Mode re released re-mastered cd's. they sound like crap. It's all very impressive in the so called quiet passages, but when the full song comes in ...the drums dissapear and it's much weaker than the origional tracks were.

I HAVE A VOLUME KNOB AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT, IT'S LIKE ME TALKING HOW I AM TYPING< GET@S HARD ON THE EARS AFTER A WHILE.

ACTUALLYIT'SMORELIKETHISEVENHARDERTOUNDERSTAND

Return to “Production Techniques”