The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

Before finally settling on Fedora, I was seriously looking at Debian and OpenSUSE. I think the OBS is ground breaking, and although Arch’s AUR is the most visible and famous, I think the OBS is every bit as good. I know of no other build system/repository that allows binaries to be built for so many different platforms. To my knowledge, Fedora’s COPR only makes various architectures of Fedora—not binaries of other platforms.

Likewise, I love the work you guys have been doing on the GeekOS repository. If I were to be swayed to OpenSUSE, it would be chiefly because of the OBS and the GeekOS repository. 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Fedora COPR can do rpms for openSUSE, Mandriva, RH/CentOS and perhaps others.
Not sure if it can debs for Debian/Ubuntu and Raspbian as OBS can.

Kott wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:07 am Fedora COPR can do rpms for openSUSE, Mandriva, RH/CentOS and perhaps others.
Not sure if it can debs for Debian/Ubuntu and Raspbian as OBS can.
Really?! Interesting! See, I’m learning something new every day!!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Kott wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:41 pm
glokraw wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:30 pm ...
so Rt might mean an old decrepid computer
by kvr standards, might be able to go from three to 7 layers in yoshimi, add a couple extra rakarrack panels, or load a Kontakt instance for the first time
Are you sure with that? It seems for me that many people believe that RT means "more performance" while it's absolutely not.
Without Rt, or at least the well optimized underlings, you'll run into audio
that stutters and glitches and pops as you design more and more demanding sessions. But this also is involving a daw's thread and core efficiency, not all are coded equal.

Being able to record as a machine approaches it's performance limits is crucial, short of buying a better computer. So precise timing IS a performance gain, in the real world. Even in midi, timing is a special case, so if I can have more layers in yoshimi, each sound with it's own adsr, note-on/off, filters and fx etc at play, with glitch-free recording, I'm happy, regarless of one's labels and definitions.

There was a sound I used as a frame of reference in testing distro audio, when I would play and hold a few notes, then press the sustain pedal, it would eventually max out the system, so the longer that took, the better the audio efficiency, in my non-technical book. Great differences were experienced. With the 5.17 and newer kernels, the same test never goes beyond 31%, when playing as fast and often as possible.

A stroll down memory lane, https://tr.opensuse.org/JackLab

Cheers

Another thought, it's easy to equate 'performance' with potential 'latency'. I often see
guitarists on stage from 3 to 60 feet from their gear, with a wide range of live in-air latency,
and I'm sure that practice and experience help in those arenas. In-the-box keyboard parts
in a daw won't be so portable, so keeping latency better than one's playing ability will always be beneficial. And having great timing and pristine sound among all the variables is a great help. Identifying a systems weakest components, and then upgrading them as skill and budget allows, will be good luck.
Cheers

Ardour 7 has been released. Quite a big step, according to the notes.
Might be time to check on Harrison Mixbus, and see what's shared between them!

https://ardour.org/whatsnew.html

Here's an Ardour article circa 2005 from Studio Dave Phillips, introducing Ardour in the printed press...17 years ago 8)

:hyper: !!! how time flies !!! :hyper:

https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7796

Glad to see you posting on your thread! 🙂

It's an old thread, not mine in any way. I tried to get the title changed once, since there was not a huge number of new topics and posters, but I didn't try hard enough...

My wife had a severe fall, repleat with titanium now holding an arm together, so I've been her second arm as the recovery moves forward. Fortunately, there was not too much nerve damage around the break, and going stir-crazy is helping her get it working again, despite the pain. :dog: Never realized how much stuff that arm used to take care of, hence my post count has not been impressive. The little time I've had, has been put to music releases.

Speaking of which, there's one that's been on youtube for two weeks now, and nobody has had a listen yet :( So you could be the very first! A self contained prize if ever one would be! It's a jaunty piece of peaceful background music using array mbira sounds from DecentSampler. Called 'Along The River Trail'. Should be in the list at my sig's link.

Credit to the delightful Imogen Heap, whose great song, 'The Walk', features a real mbira 8)

Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

'Self promotion' is a topic I'd prefer to ignore, but necessity carries a big stick, and since nobody is pounding on the door to hear music they don't even know exists, it's on to the new learning curves of the music biz, well addressed by Rick Beato in this video:

https://youtu.be/me4Wwtneh6s

Cheers

Went to a Goodwill 2nd-hand store to get s sacrificial 1/4" stereo cable end, but no luck. What I did find was a Microsoft Livechat 6000 LX usb headphone/mic-audio-interface for $8

lifechat6000.jpg

A little typical linux fiddling came up with usable settings, it definitely did not like 44100, so went with the more standard 48000 and the quality seems fine for what I need. The buttons toggle bluetooth and phone for skype/zoom/jitsi etc.Tested briefly with the 6000 as both input and output device, with Rakarrack and Reaper in AVLinux. Still need some 1/4 inch stereo cable ends, as my good headphones 1/8 inch end connections have been worn down moving i/o of the adaptors.

m-soft Livechat LX 6000.jpg

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The 44100 issue went away when I used the 6000 as output device, and my pci soundcard as
input device. Still need to add stereo-rca to the end of a knackered headphone cable. But it's working in a pinch, and the mic could serve if a podcast is called for.
Cheers

Years ago, Fender released a line of ground-breaking modeling usb guitar amplifiers
(not limited to guitar, for the record). The first edition had 5 amps, varied in size and features, but all capable of excellent and versatile sounds.

These five Mustang V1 amps now sell used in the $50 to $300 range, and offer excellent value for linux guitarists, who can record either or both the usb and headphone/line-out
to whatever is there in your system. The Mustang III, IV, and V have effect-send-returns,
and may include an advanced footswitch. These have 100 sounds on the main dial, extensive editing of sounds, while the Mustang I and II have 24 sounds, and editing of eight typical modulations.

There are Version 2 editions of all these amps, in the same price range. The sound from either the usb or headphone out is excellent, and the amps offer a lot of built-in sound mods. With Christmas coming on, a guitar and amp for little Johnny or Suzy might be an excellent and life-long gift.

Hi Everyone, i have a linux related question to ask?

Would zorin or linux mint suffice as a windows alternative for music production?

Regards
Surreal

You would probably be fine with either of those distros. Those distros are Debian/Ubuntu based. You'd have access to the KXStudios repository. However, I don't think Zorin uses pipewire yet, so you may want to use Mint if you don't want to set up Pipewire manually (I'm pretty sure Zorin will get it eventually). Mint should work fine. Mint version 22.10 was just released a couple of weeks ago. :)

You'll simply need to install Mint, install your native linux DAW, Install native Linux plugins, and do a tiny bit of configuring to tune for latency. When you are ready for the latency tuning part, we can help you with that too. :)

I use Mint, it's a breeze. If you're new to the game, my advice would be;

Install Mint -> get Ubuntu Studio Installer -> use that to add important packages and do the config.

I don't use / need JACK or Pipewire and would recommend not using them in the beginning at least. Just load up Ardour or Renoise or Reaper or BitWig or whatever using ALSA as default, then use LV2 and VST for plugs.

From there, there is tonnes of cool Linux software for writing and producing music,, the sky's the limit.
www.cel10.com

There are better signatures out there.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”