rendering audio -affected by sound card quality?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
shanecgriffo
KVRAF
3649 posts since 27 Nov, 2003 from beach side australia

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:15 pm

If i render tracks to audio using the same programme/settings on my laptop (with the generic onboard soundcard that it came with,) will i still get the same quality as rendering on my audio p.c (which has a terretec dmxfire card?)
In rendering an audio file, is the quality determined/effected by the soundcard?
Reason i am asking is because my p/c seems to be overheating and crashing when rendering to audio so i have to use my laptop to finish some work. thanks..

DevonB
KVRAF
7776 posts since 24 Feb, 2003 from Earth, USA

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:29 pm

Yes you'll still get the same quality. If it never hits the converters, it never changes anything. The quality remains the same. Render away!

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

JonathanDragonDJ
KVRian
510 posts since 13 Jan, 2005

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:34 pm

hmmm...i thought that it depends on how you do it...in cubase when i output an audio file it asks me to pick my ouput...and i select my soundcard...so i thought that it much use my soundcard for some element? i can also select a dif asio driver...
Cubase4 FLStudio6 Komplete4 Kore PS1 miniTera Atmosphere StylusRMX Hypersonic Plex Xphraze Hydra Junglist PluckedString Scorpion WNadditive ZeroVector VStation Wusikstation3 PSPVintageWarmer CamelSpace Sonitus:FX

Chopper
KVRAF
1823 posts since 26 Nov, 2005 from Where silence and chaos meet.

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:38 pm

no, when it talks about your soundcard, it actually means the main output of its own mixer... the master channel if you like.. so there is no difference, as devonB said.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
26669 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:39 pm

JonathanDragonDJ wrote:hmmm...i thought that it depends on how you do it...in cubase when i output an audio file it asks me to pick my ouput...and i select my soundcard...so i thought that it much use my soundcard for some element? i can also select a dif asio driver...
You select your soundcard for monitoring audio ... it doesn't affect the audio quality of a render

bduffy
KVRAF
19062 posts since 13 Feb, 2003 from Vancouver, Canada

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Cubase just wants to know which output bus to use (you'll notice in the Export Audio dialogue you can export audio from any channel). Your soundcard has already been chosen in the ASIO driver setup for playback, and Cubase is using its own internal 32-bit engine to render the audio. Like Devon said, if you're not talking about recording or playback quality, it's all up to the host. :D

Which is good news, because I do a lot of comping at work on the crap-ass Realtek chip, and then finish at home on my EMU.

shanecgriffo
KVRAF
3649 posts since 27 Nov, 2003 from beach side australia

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:49 pm

great thanks thats good to know.. i always wondered about it but never bothered asking til now

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”