Recommedation of soft synths to replace Roland JV-1080?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am a home studio guy, and love the flexibility of software synths. I have already replaced my hardware Wavestation with korg digital collection.

I am trying to decide if I want to spend money to replace my Roland JV-1080 with a Roland XV-5050 (for its digital outs) - or go soft synths.

Note: I am a preset person, I do not build patches from scratch. I do make some limited adjustments to effects etc. In terms of musical style, everyone says I'm stuck in the 80s.

I have dimention pro and Z3ta+. And they have already taken over some of the JV-1080 duties. I was lukewarm on dimention pro at first, but the more I use it the more impressed I am.

Other Soft Synth Replacements?

I have always been interested in Atmosphere. No place to demo has held me back, but I think I can safely say Atmosphere will easily replace the JV-1080 pads and strings.

Interested in the forum's recommendations - thanks!

JCPZero

You might want to give LUXONIX Ravity VSTi a try it is based on the Roland JV-1080. I own a JV-1080 and I have Ravity it's Great! 8)

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1139.html

You've got the Korg Digital Edition, that has the M1 with all the add-ons, right? Surprised that didn't replace your 1080.

I had a 1080 years ago, I had a 5050 as well at the same time, sold both and went softsynth. With NI Komplete, you get Absynth and Reaktor and FM8 for pads and weird sounds, and Kontakt has a good sized sample base for acoustic/orchestral sounds.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

They have different voice architectures, certainly, but given the relationship between Cakewalk and Roland, I would assume that Dimension's sample content was Roland, and possibly inclusive of at least some samples used in the JV series.

On the other hand, since I personally like keeping a foot in the hardware world, the idea of a 5050 as a modernized update of the 1080 has appeal. I think that the XV series incorporates not only the sample rom of the JV series, but also its preset content plus more samples presets and effects and polyphony. You will have all your legacy sounds plus more of what you know and like. I think that that is the way to go.

In sample-based softsynths, I like Wusikstation, EVE 2, ManyOne and Sampletank. All very much worth looking at in their own right.

I own Komplete4, Sampletank2, Sonic Synth2, Wusikstation and others. Lately I was working with Hypersonic2 in a production with some friends who have it, I tried also the Luxonix and the Korg ones.

I own also a jv an xv synth.

For me the best jv/xv soft synth replacement is Hypersonic 2 without a doubt. Great sounds, very good presets, great synth engine. I plan to purchase it, Im waiting to see whats the future of the development. Also my friend said me something like when you launch the second instance you can use the extensions for free (not sure about it, but thats what I have heard). Seems like a "strange bug" for sure.

Many of the other synths mentioned are very good but in general they lack good presets. Make great presets is a good art that need to be recognized. Many synt developers forget it (or dont have the resources to do it). The hardware synths normally take very seriously and carefully this area, thats why they sound so good.

As a previous owner of a JV-2080 who just sold his and "upgraded" to a Fantom XR, I have to say I still haven't really found a 'true' replacement for that hardware in one package. If it's the natural instruments you want, without a doubt, Colossus crushes the JV for quality on most of the instruments. Colossus for synth stuff was nowhere near as impressive to me though.

ravity is good in its own right, but to me, it replaces old Yamaha boards within the W/MU series, not a Roland JX/XV series synth.

For about $400ish on Ebay, the 5050 wouldn't be bad. Personally, I'd splurge on the XR, because you can get all the banks on the XV-5080 for the XR, and then have the XR sounds on top of it. If you're patient, you should be able to get the XR for about $800ish like I did.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

krraqk wrote:I own Komplete4, Sampletank2, Sonic Synth2, Wusikstation and others. Lately I was working with Hypersonic2 in a production with some friends who have it, I tried also the Luxonix and the Korg ones.

I own also a jv an xv synth.

For me the best jv/xv soft synth replacement is Hypersonic 2 without a doubt. Great sounds, very good presets, great synth engine. I plan to purchase it, Im waiting to see whats the future of the development. Also my friend said me something like when you launch the second instance you can use the extensions for free (not sure about it, but thats what I have heard). Seems like a "strange bug" for sure.

Many of the other synths mentioned are very good but in general they lack good presets. Make great presets is a good art that need to be recognized. Many synt developers forget it (or dont have the resources to do it). The hardware synths normally take very seriously and carefully this area, thats why they sound so good.
Hypersonic 2 has caught my eye on "paper". But, I have not had a chance to play with it first hand. I wish there were a demo version to try.

Have you heard something about an update to hypersonic?

JCPZero
Last edited by JCPZero on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonB wrote:As a previous owner of a JV-2080 who just sold his and "upgraded" to a Fantom XR, I have to say I still haven't really found a 'true' replacement for that hardware in one package. If it's the natural instruments you want, without a doubt, Colossus crushes the JV for quality on most of the instruments. Colossus for synth stuff was nowhere near as impressive to me though.

ravity is good in its own right, but to me, it replaces old Yamaha boards within the W/MU series, not a Roland JX/XV series synth.

For about $400ish on Ebay, the 5050 wouldn't be bad. Personally, I'd splurge on the XR, because you can get all the banks on the XV-5080 for the XR, and then have the XR sounds on top of it. If you're patient, you should be able to get the XR for about $800ish like I did.

Devon
Thanks for all the responses. More favorable for hardware than I had expected. One advantage of the hardware is the ability to re-sell if not satisfied.

I guess I need to look into which soft synths allow liscence transfers. I would be more willing to try Hypersonic 2 for example if I could sell if not happy with it.

JCPZero

AAUUGGGHHH!! Don't do it!!

You cannot "replace" a Roland JV with a softsynth. I have kept my JD-990 around because no softsynth can do what it does, the SOUND is much better on the Roland than any softsynth I've ever heard.

Sometimes it pays to keep gear around. Roland JD/JV machines are an example of this.. there is simply not a "software equivalent".

Hypersonic 2
"when you have nothing to say - shut up." -A friend of Luc Besson

I wouldn't try to replace anything. It just creates disappointment. However, if you buy a soft synth on its own merits, it's fun.

There are a lot of factors that make those old JV's such excellent ROMplers. Synth-layer architecture, their digital filters, built-in effects, Eric Persing's sound design and the Roland voicing team, converters... these things aren't "replaced" in software anywhere I'm afraid. Though, if you're looking for bass or pads you'll find great quality in Persing's Spectrasonics instruments, Trilogy and Atmosphere. I'd recommend getting a softsynth on its own merits, but don't hope for JV/JD "replacement" per se.

BFunKu wrote:You might want to give LUXONIX Ravity VSTi a try it is based on the Roland JV-1080. I own a JV-1080 and I have Ravity it's Great! 8)
Eh? Are you REALLY sure it's based on JV-1080? I have a Roland XP-50 (basically JV-1080 with keyboard and sequencer) and it sound 10000 times better than ravity. Also, it's sound engine is wastly superior with complex modulation routing, basic filter/effects order routing etc. It's patches can be built with up to 4 voices (samples) per patch whereas ravity has 2 voices per patch.

I'm sorry to burst all your bubbles here but so far there is no real replacement for the JV/XP series.. not to mention the far superior XV series of synths.

It's funny how these "old" romplers outperform even multi-gigabyt plugin romplers (Sampletank comes to mind). This is of course my opinion only so take it as that.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

JCPZero wrote: Hypersonic 2 has caught my eye on "paper". But, I have not had a chance to play with it first hand. I wish there were a demo version to try.

Have you heard something about an update to hypersonic?
JCPZero
The Hypersonic2 future is unclear, Wizoo is not more and independent developer, its now own by Digidesign, so seems that no more updates to HS2 can be expected. I dont know for sure, but thats a very sad thing and the main reason I have no bought it yet. Although HS2 is very good as it is actually. Maybe soon would be the time to purchase it second hand.
Every time I run it in my friend machine the more I want to have it...

bmanic wrote: It's funny how these "old" romplers outperform even multi-gigabyt plugin romplers (Sampletank comes to mind). This is of course my opinion only so take it as that.
bManic

I agree with that

Return to “Instruments”