Improvements!

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is for Diva. But could be useful for others.
How about being able to save and assign Midi Tables per instance.
Also, while I'm here. Have I got this correct? The variance buttons - turn a variance knob push the button - the button lights while pushed (when a random selection of values are set to the parameter) then goes out when released - this is a one time (per button push) set of values, yes?
Thanks,
B-
HP Envy 16gb/i7 6Core/2.6ghz, Win 11, Presonus Quantum 2626, Bitwig Studio, Diva, Bazille, OB-E,Various VST FX.

User guide, bottom of page 42:
----------
VARIANCE applies random offsets (‘slop’) to cutoff, envelope times, pulse widths and glide times. Similar to OSCILLATOR VOICE DETUNE (see above), but instead of having individual knobs per voice, each parameter has an associated button which randomizes the 8 values.
----------
…so the answer is "yes" :)

OK, as I thought, thanks Howard. I have and do read the manual, I was mostly checking to be sure that the buttons are a momentary function.
B-
HP Envy 16gb/i7 6Core/2.6ghz, Win 11, Presonus Quantum 2626, Bitwig Studio, Diva, Bazille, OB-E,Various VST FX.

It might have been better to make them simply flash once instead of staying on as long as you hold the mouse button.

Just a small idea for u-he team (I don't want to overcomplicate things - more possibilities = more possible code conflicts, more work please don't judge :d )

Today I recorded some sound and while processing it with Zebrify and writing automation for Formant filter an idea came to me:
- What if it was possible to record parameters into MSEG automation during playback? (MSEG editing is already good but recording it while turning a knob would be useful too) anyways thank you for making wonderful products!

I've been thinking about that, but I haven't ever found the time to try this out.

I've bought most of your plugins and the UIs of almost all of them are just brilliant. The visual designs are a pleasure for the eye and the usability and interaction design is, IMHO, the best in the industry.

Except for one plugin: Diva. No complaints about the upper part. The red lower part however is somewhat cluttered and could benefit from a better organisation and an improved visual design (a bit dull at the moment). Where the UIs of Zebra, Bazille, Repro, Hive and the latest effects plugins immediately invite you to play around, the bottom part of Diva does not attract but repels. Also the location of the presets tab could be improved by moving the tab to the top just like in the other plugins.

I've bought the AIKO theme from plugmon, which is OK, but does not deliver the u-he experience of Zebra, Hive and other u-he UIs. I would love to see Basti spend some time on improving the interaction and visual design of the lower part of Diva and bringing the UI to the same level as all the other u-he plugins. Any chance we might see any Diva UI improvements before 2.0 arrives sometime this decade?

I really want to see new UIs for Filterscape and MFM!

Regarding Diva's lower part: It's always been a struggle as it packs a plethora of diverse types of information, yet we needed it to display as much as possible on the main page. We have improved it over the years, but I'm afraid there's no one-big-redesign-that-fits-all-needs. There's only ever going to be other compromises.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:21 pm I really want to see new UIs for Filterscape and MFM!
Filterscape redesign has matured greatly. I am expecting it to emerge after Uhbik 2.0 and before Zebra 3 in our grand scheme of things.

Please, Urs. Couldn't you start with Zebra 3 straight after Uhbik? Since you are procrastinating here so long now... Couldn't you guys really have a supervision session to find out what EXACTLY keeps you away from Zebra 3?

If there is a lack of motivation because of the little price you get in return, at least I think that every customer would understand, if you would change the update price, and instead give a voucher or so. What was it, 30 EUR for Zebra 2 customers?

Or is it, because the concept got too complex with all that features, so it turned into a mess?

I find it a bit sad, that you do not program on your (still imo best) flagship synth like a crazy man all the time. Zebra 2 is from 2002, please remember.

I am not involved with the Filterscape redesign. It's mainly a task of redesigning the UI and reorganising and polishing and extending the factory content. The idea is to have the creative team do this while the dev team is working on Zebra3.

I am involved in Uhbik and Arm updates atm also because during the early days of Corona, the two developers I tasked with the main workload of it quit. Such is life. Additionally I have to do maintenance work on products I haven't been involved in before, such as Colour Copy, Satin, Presswerk, Twangström before we can release them for compatibility with Big Sur and Apple Silicon. This is pretty much "exactly" what keeps me from working on Zebra 3 right now.

That said, an extensive amount of work has already gone into Zebra 3 development. It's neither a too complex project nor is there an issue with motivation or funding for it.

(Zebra 2 was first released in 2015 IIRC, following the issue that the Windows port of Zebra 1 (2003) never saw the light of day)

Ah ok, thanks for this detailed info. So you are sure there is no classical "procrastination" involved? Nice that already development was done for Zebra 3. Might be also non professional for you to discuss such stuff in public, I should not have bring this up hehe

Well, I sure have my slower weeks and my more productive ones, but I am totally aware of situations where I wish to jump into a new project as a means to avoid doing stuff I don't want to do :lol:

Certainly, maintenance work is not very exciting and takes longer than what it could. But then, we're ploughing through it.

Btw. this is after I spent several months (!) on speeding up Mac UI performance... which certainly also couldn't wait until after Zebra 3 - and has its further fallout as e.g. Colour Copy's waveform display lost its glow, AAX has a display of visual artefacts and what not.

Urs wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:50 am Regarding Diva's lower part: It's always been a struggle as it packs a plethora of diverse types of information, yet we needed it to display as much as possible on the main page. We have improved it over the years, but I'm afraid there's no one-big-redesign-that-fits-all-needs. There's only ever going to be other compromises.
I understand the challenge regarding the information/interaction design due to the various sections and items on the page. What might help is to leave the information/interaction design in place and just update the visual design (colors, knob styling etc). The core UI design of Hive did not change that much from 1.0 to 2.0, but all the small changes in the visual design worked out perfectly for Hive.

Diva is one of u-he's crown jewels, but visually is does not shine like the other ones at the moment. It's the dull diamond. Just some polishing would help a lot :wink:

Return to “u-he”