Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Urs
u-he
Topic Starter
26943 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Sun May 10, 2009 7:07 am

Polybius wrote:Will 2.5 contain the fix for the XMF cutoff bug in Renoise? I still have to use the .dll you've sent me, the official 2.3 download from the website still has the XMF/Renoise combo bug.

Here's the original thread about the bug:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244670

Really looking forward to Zebrify, Zebra 2.5 and the new Uhbik addition! Looks like there are exciting times ahead for U-HE customers!
Uhm... isn't the fix also in the leaked V2.3.2 with Zebrify?

Polybius
KVRian
527 posts since 12 Dec, 2007 from Belgium

Post Sun May 10, 2009 7:19 am

I haven't tried that one yet, too lazy to wade trough one of the threads the link was in, and too lazy to reïnstall :)

Maybe i should give it a go, the zebrify rumours give me funny underbelly feelings :)

Urs
u-he
Topic Starter

Post Sun May 10, 2009 7:27 am

You don't need to wade through everything - you can just use the following links:

http://www.u-he.com/Zebra232MacInstall.zip
http://www.u-he.com/Zebra232Winstaller.zip

Cheers,

;) Urs

Polybius
KVRian
527 posts since 12 Dec, 2007 from Belgium

Post Sun May 10, 2009 7:52 am

Thanks! I'll give it a spin tonight.

rectus_dominus
KVRian
735 posts since 16 Sep, 2008

Post Tue May 12, 2009 4:05 am

Urs wrote:
rectus_dominus wrote:Regarding sample import, then I'd suggest a proper multisample support (sfz)
I'm a bit worried about samples in Zebra. I'm afraid that once samples hit the Zebriverse, this is what people will concentrate on. Rather than making more well thought out and dynamic synthesize sounds.

I'm thus more thinking along the lines of a "rompler module" that's pre-equipped with a cleverly designed set of transient sampels, cycles and stuff. This could be extended by additional "rom packs" which could be created by anyone with a sample packing tool. Latter sample packing tool could naturally transform sfz files, but the result might be compressed in a specific ways to save memory.

After all it isn't about the most naturally sounding sample playback ever, it is about an extension of the existing synthesis engine. As such there will have to be compromises, but there will also be massively great features (think proper graintable synthesis). I can't for my life get out of my head that sample playback in Zebra should have manipulations tools similar to Osc FX.

;) Urs

I think that using "Rom packs" is a good idea, I'd just like to add that the U-he and the "trusted" developers' packs would have some kind of priority over the 3rd party ones. I mean the sample handling module would treat the generalized, trusted Rom Packs more like an internal module (an expansion). Maybe using a dedicated file extension. Of course it'd be able to use sfz samples which can be made and added by anyone.
And hey, naturally sounding sample playback would make a great next step :)

Note:
/And anyway, I've "extensively" checked out some Camel and Live sample manipulation toys and I can say that if Zebra will be able to do things like that it's going to be LEGEN -wait for it- DARY!!!/

djsubject
KVRAF
10826 posts since 26 Nov, 2004 from UK

Post Tue May 12, 2009 5:28 am

Urs wrote:
rectus_dominus wrote:Regarding sample import, then I'd suggest a proper multisample support (sfz)
I'm a bit worried about samples in Zebra. I'm afraid that once samples hit the Zebriverse, this is what people will concentrate on. Rather than making more well thought out and dynamic synthesize sounds.

I'm thus more thinking along the lines of a "rompler module" that's pre-equipped with a cleverly designed set of transient sampels, cycles and stuff. This could be extended by additional "rom packs" which could be created by anyone with a sample packing tool. Latter sample packing tool could naturally transform sfz files, but the result might be compressed in a specific ways to save memory.

After all it isn't about the most naturally sounding sample playback ever, it is about an extension of the existing synthesis engine. As such there will have to be compromises, but there will also be massively great features (think proper graintable synthesis). I can't for my life get out of my head that sample playback in Zebra should have manipulations tools similar to Osc FX.

;) Urs
Sounds good!!

i have a sampler & Zebra effect already, bring on the granular sample roms with OSC FX 8)

no rush, any time this week is good :D

:hihi:

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
10107 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Tue May 12, 2009 9:20 am

I don't know if this has ever been brought up, but would it be possible to add other waveforms to the FM Osc? Just simple ones like square, saw, triangle and such? It would be cool to set up a more traditional Analog FM template in Zebra using the FM Oscs with a little more options there. Ideally, merging the regular Oscillators with the FM Oscs would be super awesome but much more work I'm sure.

Urs
u-he
Topic Starter

Post Tue May 12, 2009 9:51 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I don't know if this has ever been brought up, but would it be possible to add other waveforms to the FM Osc? Just simple ones like square, saw, triangle and such? It would be cool to set up a more traditional Analog FM template in Zebra using the FM Oscs with a little more options there. Ideally, merging the regular Oscillators with the FM Oscs would be super awesome but much more work I'm sure.
There are some more waveforms in the "more FMO" tab, which loosely resemble the waveforms found in some vintage FM modules.

Unfortunately the FMOs are not bandlimited, hence they can't be used to reproduce complex waveforms with a rich harmonic spectrum.

Things *are* difficult... indeed :oops:

;) Urs

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Tue May 12, 2009 10:14 am

Urs wrote:There are some more waveforms in the "more FMO" tab, which loosely resemble the waveforms found in some vintage FM modules.
Ah, I should have known! thanks!
Urs wrote: Unfortunately the FMOs are not bandlimited, hence they can't be used to reproduce complex waveforms with a rich harmonic spectrum.
You lost me there. What does bandlimiting do?

kodama
KVRAF
1528 posts since 12 Jun, 2004 from Portland, OR

Post Tue May 12, 2009 10:42 am

Urs wrote:Unfortunately the FMOs are not bandlimited, hence they can't be used to reproduce complex waveforms with a rich harmonic spectrum.
Some variations on square, triangle, and saw waves would be greatly appreciated! (similar to how Operator has)

:)

pedrorf
KVRist
242 posts since 24 Jan, 2008

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:01 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:You lost me there. What does bandlimiting do?
Prevents aliasing, I think.

MitchK1989
KVRAF
2876 posts since 3 Mar, 2006

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:23 pm

Urs wrote:

;) Urs
I think your best bet would be to add graintable and grungy transient or single cycle bits for more digital grunge rather than "rompler" stuff (At least in the sense of your standard "acoustic instrument samples" type of thing)

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:53 pm

I agree, graintables with the possibility of user defined audio files would be great. For the sake of synthesis, not for any clean audio sample or multi-sampling or anything. I'm thinking along the lines of Reason's malstrom here.

Howard
KVRAF
4088 posts since 23 May, 2004 from Bad Vilbel, Germany

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:57 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:I think your best bet would be to add graintable and grungy transient or single cycle bits for more digital grunge rather than "rompler" stuff (At least in the sense of your standard "acoustic instrument samples" type of thing)
Please don't waste a second doing that, Urs (god, how I hate digital grunge!)
My 2c...

MitchK1989
KVRAF
2876 posts since 3 Mar, 2006

Post Tue May 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Howard wrote:
MitchK1989 wrote:I think your best bet would be to add graintable and grungy transient or single cycle bits for more digital grunge rather than "rompler" stuff (At least in the sense of your standard "acoustic instrument samples" type of thing)
Please don't waste a second doing that, Urs (god, how I hate digital grunge!)
My 2c...
I take it you aren't a fan of the prophet VS or DSI Evolver then, which is the sort of stuff I had in mind.

Return to “u-he”