Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
koolkeys
KVRAF

16063 posts since 2 Dec, 2003, from Nashville, TN

Postby koolkeys; Wed May 02, 2007 10:38 am What to do if your computer freezes during System Restore?

Ok, I'm having problems with my computer. Not sure what happened, but things were coming up blank after the Windows logo screen. It just happened all of a sudden yesterday when I logged out of the current user. I came back and it was blank. I could still see and use the mouse, but nothing else. And every time I restart the computer, it gets me to the Windows logo screen, with the little moving progress bar, and then after that it's all blank except for the mouse.

So I entered Safe Mode, and fired up System Restore. I chose a restore point and hit next. It went into it's process, but now with about 4/5 of the "Restoring Files" progress bar done, it has just frozen. I can move the mouse and everything, but it hasn't moved in 10 minutes or more.

Is it safe to turn off the computer and go back into Safe Mode? Should I wait it out? I'm so frustrated because I had some things to get done and this has never happened before.

Any ideas?

Brent
My host is better than your host
speccyteccy
KVRian

1259 posts since 25 Nov, 2003, from London

Postby speccyteccy; Wed May 02, 2007 10:55 am

If the disk hadn't shown any activity after 5 mins, I would have hard booted it.
koolkeys
KVRAF

Postby koolkeys; Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 am

Ok, I did it. I'm now trying again with Safe Mode and another System Restore point.

I'm also trying to figure out why it was coming up blank. It all comes up fine in Safe Mode, so maybe it's a driver issue? But if it is, then why all of a sudden like that?

I'm so frustrated.

Brent
VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

8619 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Wed May 02, 2007 11:05 am

yeah probably a driver issue.. but check to see if any nasties are loaded too.. run "services.msc" at the "run" box/prompt thingie and see whats loading.. could be a crap service is gumming up the works.
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
flippya2000
KVRian

740 posts since 26 Sep, 2005, from UK

Postby flippya2000; Wed May 02, 2007 11:08 am

When my PC started doing that kind of rubbishness, it was due to a broken fan on the gfx card - safe mode don't use gfx card, thus would work fine - something to check/rule out..
koolkeys
KVRAF

Postby koolkeys; Wed May 02, 2007 11:30 am

Hmmm, I'll have to look at that. I JUST got this gfx card last week and all has been working perfectly. The fan has been working as well, as I could feel the exhaust coming out the back of the computer.

That would really suck if it was the fan. Shipping it back for a replacement is a PAIN in the neck.

What's even more frustrating is that system restore froze yet again. I can't even test to see if it was a driver or configuration issue. I guess I could muck around in safe mode but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Regardless, I'm a bit pissed off. Things like this always happen when I need to get things done.

Brent
koolkeys
KVRAF

Postby koolkeys; Wed May 02, 2007 11:36 am

Ok, I restarted again since system restore was frozen again. I can feel a definite huge burst of air coming out the exhaust of my card. So I'm ASSUMING that the fan is alright. Otherwise, it wouldn't be blowing like that. It's a two slot sized card with one whole slot used for the fan and exhaust and seems to be blowing fine.

Now, to check other things. First of all, what is "Enable VGA Mode" in the menu where you select safe mode? I haven't tried it, but I'm wondering if it would help here.

Next, I guess I will have to use safe mode to fix the drivers, right? I mean, if system restore isn't finishing each time, how else can I go about it?

I'll also check for viruses and such as well, just in case. Although when this all happened, I went from the graphics working just fine, I logged out and came back a bit later, then all was blank. Just out of nowhere.

Grrrrrr.......

Brent
koolkeys
KVRAF

Postby koolkeys; Wed May 02, 2007 12:12 pm

Ok, I did a restart with the side of the case off to see if all my fans were going fine. Every fan is turning just fine.

I'm having troubles restoring drivers though. In safe mode, since it's not using the gfx board, it's not detecting the card as the main graphics card. Or something like that. I can't do a reinstall of the drivers. So maybe uninstalling them would work?

I don't know. I'm just frustrated and tired. It's just not right, and I have no idea why or how to fix it.

Brent
Muzik 4 Machines
KVRAF

7801 posts since 6 Oct, 2003, from Quebec

Postby Muzik 4 Machines; Wed May 02, 2007 12:36 pm

use the windows cd repair option in last measure
i had this last weekend (/windows/system32/config/SYSTEM is missing or corrupt) and after the manual repair it booted but since it was a bad disk issue it worked 4 hours and crahed again, and again
koolkeys
KVRAF

Postby koolkeys; Wed May 02, 2007 12:40 pm

Ok, I'm using this thread as a form of a "blog" on this issue so people know what I've tried.

My latest thing I'm trying is using the ATI uninstall utility to uninstall all ATI software from my computer. I don't know if that includes the drivers or just the Catalyst software. Hopefully the drivers go out as well and I can start over.

So it's rebooting right now and I'll know in a second if it's working or not.

Please wait..............

Hey!!! Windows is booting up!!!! I am on my desktop, although at a much reduced resolution. But it seems that the uninstall tool worked! This CONFIRMS that it is a driver issue.

Now, for reinstalling the card. But first, I'm thinking that I know the problem. I don't know that I totally uninstalled the old drivers for my previous card. However, the computer has worked perfectly for over a week now with it that way. Also, I believe that it shouldn't matter, as the ATI cards all use the same drivers, no? Or am I wrong. Maybe it's only NVidia that does that?

Anyways, I'm going through the reinstallation of my drivers. Let's hope it all works.

Thanks for any help thus far. I hope things are now fixed. If they are not, I'll be back!

Brent
koolkeys
KVRAF

Postby koolkeys; Wed May 02, 2007 12:46 pm

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:use the windows cd repair option in last measure
i had this last weekend (/windows/system32/config/SYSTEM is missing or corrupt) and after the manual repair it booted but since it was a bad disk issue it worked 4 hours and crahed again, and again

If this happens again, that is my next step. Right now, it's installing the Catalyst drivers and such.

I do know that the Windows disk utility is a powerful little beast. I had a problem once when reconfiguring partitions. I made the mistake of using Partition Magic. Well, it FROZE in the middle of it's work. That made my computer completely unusable and it wouldn't even recognize that hard drive as a valid drive. Then I ran the disk utility from the command line, and it repaired every sector within minutes and everything was PERFECT again. So yeah, that will be what I try next.

Brent
VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

Postby VitaminD; Wed May 02, 2007 4:02 pm

you mentioned you just got that videocard.. its a big one.. powerhog.. are you sure your powersupply is up to powering it + the rest of your system? maybe you've been straining the PS for the past week or so?

what is the wattage of the PS and more importantly what is the amperage on the +12 Volt rails? your videocard should (hopefully) have said somewhere in the documentation or even on the box what it requires..
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
koolkeys
KVRAF

Postby koolkeys; Wed May 02, 2007 4:19 pm

Yeah, I just got it. I also got a brand new PSU to power it, with plenty of watts and plenty of 12v rail power! I specifically bought based on the requirements of that card, and it meets every requirement, and is connected directly to the card through the six pin connector. It is indeed a beast of a card! I can't imagine cross-firing two of those babies together!

Originally I thought that maybe I got a bum PSU when this first started, but it was running fine it seemed. And all the fans in my case were running fine when I opened it up.

Anyways, I finally got things working again. I had things booting up, but the Catalyst Control Center wouldn't work. So I had to start over once again. Turns out that I had to use the drivers on the CD first because it also installed the host application, THEN I could use the upgraded drivers. Now everything seems to be working fine, although I haven't done any games yet(had to go to work).

But thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully all is well and it was just due to me not removing my old X300 drivers first. Although I really thought they used the same drivers. And it did work for over a week that way.

So to be honest, I'm not sure exactly what caused it. But it is apparently fixed!

Now if I could just figure out what the heck is wrong with my connection. If anyone is interested, here it is:

If I leave my computer for a while, and try to go back, it won't let me connect to the internet. It doesn't give me any errors, but just doesn't even try to load a page. It won't connect to update drivers or virus software or anything. Although the taskbar SAYS that it's connected, it's not.

The odd part is that the internet is still working. I know this because it works on both of our laptops. But to get it to work on the desktop, I have to log out and back in, or restart the computer. Then it works fine until I let it sit for a while.

I never changed anything, so I'm not sure why it all of a sudden started happening. But it was happening before my upgrades, so it's not related. Any ideas?

Brent
VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

Postby VitaminD; Wed May 02, 2007 4:33 pm

good to hear things are looking up for you as far as the freezes were going..

now it sounds like you are having a similar problem that pao was having with her internet access awhile back.. mebbe she knows the resolve..

though it could be a triggerhappy firewall or your tcp/ip stack could possibly be hosed.. but it sounds like to me your firewall software could be blocking access..
koolkeys
KVRAF

Postby koolkeys; Wed May 02, 2007 4:42 pm

Hmmm, that's odd. Would that just start happening all of a sudden? I don't THINK that I changed anything, but maybe not realizing that I had done it?

I'm running a NetGear router and this particular computer is directly wired to it. I used to hook it up wirelessly, but it never seemed to stay connected. But the rest of the computers work just fine when it messes up.

Is there a thread where pao was having this problem?

Brent
Next

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Computer Setup and System Configuration