Remix contest - *WINNERS ANNOUNCED*

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRAF
4617 posts since 16 Mar, 2004 from Columbia, MD

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:11 pm

Hey all, for those of you who are not familiar with my music, I do primarily breakbeat and big beat music, inspired by artists like Hybrid, the Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Prodigy, BT, Fatboy Slim, and others in that vein. Since I released my third album Antigravity earlier this year, I've gotten a bunch of requests from people asking if they can remix some of the tracks. So, I figured I'd open it up to everyone. :) I've compiled remix packs for two of the songs, "Mindbender" and "Warhead", and you can download 'em for free here (plus the original songs):

http://www.soundtempest.net/zircon%20-%20Warhead.mp3
Warhead Remix Pack

http://www.soundtempest.net/zircon%20-%20Mindbender.mp3
Mindbender Remix Pack

Even outside of the actual contest, you're free to create AND distribute your remixes, provided;

1) There's no commercial interest - eg. you can't sell them. If you want to do this, contact me privately.

2) You credit me as the original artist. Most remixes have a naming scheme like this: "Original Artist - Song (remixer name/remix)", eg. Fear Factory - Cyberdyne (Junkie XL Remix), or The Crystal Method - Name of the Game (Hybrid's LA Blackout Remix).

If you'd like to enter the contest, simply email me (admin at zirconstudios dot com) a link to your finished remix. You can do it in whatever style you want, and you can use as little or as much of the original audio files as you want, provided the end result is still recognizably "Mindbender" or "Warhead" in some fashion.

On February 1, 2008 I'll pick the best of the bunch to be featured on my next album, and the winning producer(s) will of course get a cut of the sales as well. If there are too many entries, or I simply can't decide, I'll open up the voting to the public.

Post questions, comments, feedback here.. and happy remixing! ;)

11/23 - Urs of u-he software fame has graciously offered up a copy of my favorite synth, Zebra 2, as a prize in this contest as well. I'll also be throwing in all of my custom presets including my two current commercial banks (128+ sounds.) Considering it's my weapon of choice, it seemed only appropriate. Please give a big thanks to Urs for his generous donation!

11/25 - Thanks to IK Multimedia and eSoundz, I have another excellent prize to offer: the T-Racks mastering suite! T-Racks is my mastering software of choice; I've used it on virtually every remix and original track I've ever made since 2005 and it's just awesome. It consists of four low-CPU, analog modeled plugs - a compressor, limiter, EQ, and channel strip with all of those. I'm sure y'all already know IK and eSoundz, but this is just another reason to check them out regardless of whether you win. eSoundz really has some amazing deals that aren't as heavily advertised as other places, but especially for loyal customers, can get you insane prices.

ALSO included are 50 free loops produced by Sonic Reality, another company I love. I used R.A.W. material all over Antigravity, including on Mindbender. :)

Even if you don't win, definitely check out IK stuff like Amplitube 2 and Sampletank if you haven't already.

NOTE: You can enter more than one remix!

---

This contest is also posted on...

OverClocked ReMix
Nu Skool Breaks
Reeemix (vote it up!)
Laptop Rockers
Last edited by zircon on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:39 am, edited 10 times in total.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

KVRAF
4799 posts since 14 Jun, 2004 from Denver, CO

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:23 pm

hot tracks, Zircon. I will see if i have some time to take one on.
peace

KVRAF
4906 posts since 10 Aug, 2004 from Colorado Springs

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Mindbender is a completely ace track. I'm going to take your zip just to see if I can figure out how you did it.

Edit: Can't DL the zipped folders. I get a 'folder is corrupted' message in Firefox - they DL in about a second (I'm on slow DSL) so something funky is going on there.

-Scott

Edit again: I was just jamming along with some acoustic guitar chords and busted the G string!!!!

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:10 pm

Hey rockstar, oops, sorry about that string! I just tested the RAR file and it works OK, also asked someone else to test it, and they seemed to be able to unpack it as well. I did just change webhosts so it's conceivable that things might be shaky.. maybe try a different browser, plus turn off any download manager if you're using one. The file size for the MB rar should be about 45mb.

Sorry for the trouble though. I'll start an upload on an alternate server to see if another mirror will work for you.

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

KVRAF
4799 posts since 14 Jun, 2004 from Denver, CO

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:14 pm

I get the 404 as well. Perhaps its something amiss in your posted link?

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:19 pm

Oops, I was referencing the wrong links when I was testing them. Should be fixed now.

DASH Guy
7715 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:40 am

Mindbender is a little gem in the groovy freestyle breakbeat, thanks for it
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

KVRian
654 posts since 13 Jan, 2007 from NJ, USA

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:20 am

Can we enter twice?
Mbox 2, iMac Intel, Trigger finger, Logic Express, Ableton Live Lite, FL Studio
animism | Youtube

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:40 am

Sure. I'll add that to the first post.

KVRer
2 posts since 8 Sep, 2004

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:48 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Great contest, I've just posted a link and the info at www.reeemix.com (http://www.reeemix.com) - hope you get a lot of good entries!

Alex

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:10 am

Very cool, thank you!

An update for everyone: courtesy of Urs, there is now one copy of Zebra 2 available as a prize for the #1 remix in the competition! I'll also throw in my two banks of custom presets (128 total), maybe even a third bank if I'm all done by then. :)

KVRAF
2104 posts since 31 Dec, 2002 from London, UK

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:58 am

ooh...now we're talking :D

The deadline is 1. February. That is long way from now. I would have thought most people would have finished 15. December or at least 1. January but hey, that's your decision I suppose.

Great tunes btw. I've done quite a few Breakbeat tracks myself lately so those shouldn't be a problem working with.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:56 pm

I set a long deadline because a lot of people will be busy with finishing up a term of school and/or enjoying the holidays for the remainder of 2007. Plus, at least for me, it can take a couple months to put out a really polished, finalized track (depending on how inspired I am.)

KVRer
7 posts since 22 Nov, 2007 from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:02 am

Yeah, thx for the long deadline its really helpful.

Truthfully, mindbender is one of the best songs i've heard in a long long while, it inspired me soooooo much. The remix pack that was given was also VERY helpful, I mean i rarely see that many files in a remix pack. SO thx alot for it Zircon

My favourite musician is BT, but now that i've heard your music, You are one of them to :D. Every single bit of musical interested i have and WILL have, you've already been there. SO thx so much for this great song, and giving me the opportunity to create a remix for it.

I just finished my remix, now i just need to master it so all the levels are ok, and ill send it in.

I will put my remix up on my soundclick (www.soundclick.com/djfrakture). I will not put the song up for download, only for listening.

Zircon, u really did make this month worth while for me :D. Hope my remix does well, it will be uploaded to soundclick by the end of today so, listen to it if u can. and ill send the file to in about 1 or 2 days, if u want it sooner then that just notify me and ill send it in

EDIT ~~~

Here is the remix "unmastered", if u wanna heat it go to this adress

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

and then click on the slightly more contrasted play button beside the title of the song.

note that this is unmastered so if the levels are a bit loud or a bit soft, im in the process of fixing that... but if u think i should change anything please let meh know :D

my email is mythic47@hotmail.com

~Phrakture
Last edited by Phrakture on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:33 am

Hey man,

No rush on sending the remix - feel free to email it at your leisure. You are also welcome to put it up for download at Soundclick if you choose (either way is fine with me) - my own personal preference, usually, is to do streaming first for awhile and then download later. :)

Also thanks for all the kind words about my music!! If you visit my MySpace you can check out all the tracks from my previous two albums, including some full-length, high quality streams on a few embedded players. The CD Baby page for Antigravity also has lots of previews. If you liked the track Mindbender, and you like BT, you'll definitely like some of the other ones such as "Art of Zen" (inspired by stuff on Emotional Technology), "Breathing You In" (Flaming June), and "Antigravity" (This Binary Universe) etc :)

To everyone; another big prize announcement coming soon, just need to make sure I am on the same page as the developer, as it appears they are being very generous indeed!!

Return to “Music Cafe”