Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" vocal effect vst???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems like there is a vocal multiplier or some strange short slap back delay or something like that. Can't quite figure it out.

Anybody know how to achieve this effect???

probably a vocoder filtered in from a second vocal track every now and again

I think there might be some Gated Reverb in there too

BFunKu wrote:I think there might be some Gated Reverb in there too
yep and a phaser probabely
"It dreamed itself along"

BFunKu wrote:I think there might be some Gated Reverb in there too
:D
rrrc.bandcamp.com||bandcamp.com/blatanville
"ALL YOUR CUBASE ARE BELONG TO REAPER" - 5.1 Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:17 pm
i9-10900CF|32GB|Nvidia RTX3060Ti|Win 11|REAPER|FLStudio|more plugins than I've had hot meals

IIRC from my time as a huge Genesis/PG/PC fan in the mid-80s, most of "Face Value" was tracked and mixed at Phil's new home studio, hence most of the production would have been pretty basic (exemplified by how bare the arrangement on "In the Air Tonight" is, for instance) seek the simplest solution, young Jedi...
rrrc.bandcamp.com||bandcamp.com/blatanville
"ALL YOUR CUBASE ARE BELONG TO REAPER" - 5.1 Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:17 pm
i9-10900CF|32GB|Nvidia RTX3060Ti|Win 11|REAPER|FLStudio|more plugins than I've had hot meals

I heard it was the same effect that Cher used for believe...

I'll get my coat.

Isn't the In The Air Tonight vocal just drenched in a reverse reverb? It's been a while since I heard the actual song, but when Family Guy parodied it, Stewie was definately rocking a reverse reverb. To do so, reverse your vocal, add lots of reverb, reverse your vocal so that it's playing forwards again. The reverb will now be in reverse, fading into the vocals as opposed to away from them.

Why not let Phil himself tell you how he made that song. Here ya go!

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_phil_collins_air/

Brent
My host is better than your host

Ah! THere's the article. I was going to say, his vocal is pretty simple in that, except for the vocoder stuff, which was added in the studio, IIRC. Seems to me it's mostly a big slapback delay and maybe a chorus/doubler or something...

On the whole vocal track: slapback delay (80 ms?)
The "I Remember" part is ofcourse a vocoder.
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

Sounds about right.

the AMS 1580 dual delay harmoniser is what is used on phil collins vocal along with a Lexicon reverb probably a 300.

Sounds about right.

so what's a good plug-in equivalent to achieve this same result???

Return to “Instruments”