Things that are supposed to be green -

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

in the black and white movie.

this is based on my 'Abstraxiom #2' called Abstraxiom #1, in the tradition of atonal music goes with monsters and/or aliens.

it's fairly hideous (in the most beautiful way o course)

long, long gone
transformed ultimately into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxm4kQXtMFI

same rhythms

there's more where this baby come from
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 07, 2017 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

excellent - a bit fast, the space between notes drowns in action sometimes. and why so short

Hi. Thanks for listening!

it's a module, a scene (like an extended movie music cue), and is intentionally concentrated, a la Anton Webern.
If looked at in concert music terms it would be a 'miniature'. It's actually fairly traditional formally, in mid-20th century 'art music', which this sort of pokes a little fun at. Most composers who made music like this ended up writing scifi or monster movie, eventually television music.

or,

in the scheme of my 'compositional' intent, it sets up the next scene, typically by way of dramatic contrast [cf. Frank Zappa, who would jump to something like this after (or in the middle of) a rock song]; or, that's my story and I'm sticking to it, I'm making this up as I go along. Actually I have the beginning of the next sound picture in my head, based on the last colors of this. (something that sounds Largo, OR, a slow funk vamp. depends. <modular>)

the 'tempo' is mostly 30 bpm. with a couple of warps down to half or two-thirds that, to open up more space, as I begain with the tempo map from the original exercise and it was easiest to do this way, as there of course is no steady pulse to make such a move problematic.

and thanks! thanks for listening!!!!

wunderbar! webern and zappa ... an unlikely combination (zappa excess and webern condensation). but you pull it off. personally i'd love to hear some more 'breathing' ... give us a chance to appreciate what's going on. for example, the note at :31 ... how would it sound if it lasted a coupla few seconds, perhaps with a slight pause to set it apart from what follows?

I have a vision of what it must look like when you make this form of music. Some weird twitches and small convulsions intermixed with dramatic pauses where one scans the room before proceeding. And maybe a little tongue biting and eyebrow rolling. :)
I have it on loop right now and it is such a bizarre track.... it makes me want to not stop listening to it.
This is reminiscent of the style of Rachmiel's latest contribution, though still very different from it. I feel a collab of some sort between the two of you musical geniuses is way overdue.
Seriously, it would be twice the intimidation than you both already install in me. But I learn a lot, so I won't stop listening.

rachmiel wrote:wunderbar! webern and zappa ... an unlikely combination (zappa excess and webern condensation). but you pull it off. personally i'd love to hear some more 'breathing' ... give us a chance to appreciate what's going on. for example, the note at :31 ... how would it sound if it lasted a coupla few seconds, perhaps with a slight pause to set it apart from what follows?
that's very interesting, because I may do JUST that, I considered it for a good minute, that moment wants to develop the slight falling motif doesn't it. the other instinct is to sub(per?)-vert that, which seemed preferable at the time; actually I think letting it ring is the thing. Gawd this piece is a mess isn't it?!

ultimately, I want to take it completely apart, like I did with the one moment which became Mirage.

*add water, makes its own sauce*

Jazzyspoon wrote:I have a vision of what it must look like when you make this form of music. Some weird twitches and small convulsions intermixed with dramatic pauses where one scans the room before proceeding. And maybe a little tongue biting and eyebrow rolling. :)
I have it on loop right now and it is such a bizarre track.... it makes me want to not stop listening to it.
This is reminiscent of the style of Rachmiel's latest contribution, though still very different from it. I feel a collab of some sort between the two of you musical geniuses is way overdue.
Seriously, it would be twice the intimidation than you both already install in me. But I learn a lot, so I won't stop listening.
well, I hope it's a Count Floyd sort of 'oooooh skeddy, wasn't it kids?'

I LOVE your description, very suspicious scanning the room, even paranoid - but a jaded paranoid?

I doubt I'd do this if it weren't for eg., rachmiel in the audience. I'm self-amused, but that only gets me so far anymore.

anyone notice how CHEEZY the first three notes are, like 'that isn't EVEN scary! rubbery-looking alien..
wait, you can see the guy's trouser hem at the bottom'.

> notice how CHEEZY the first three notes are

they are so understated and go by so quickly that one doesn't, i think, take much notice of them.

hmmm. I need to set that up with whatever the heck is supposed to happen before it.

technically that lick is one o them things you're supposed to avoid like the plague in 'serialism'. {MI FA SOL. please.} (Which this is only by proxy at this point, this last layer I threw on there improvising in like 3 takes. that assistant prof in intro to composition must've done his job inflicting this style on me, because I only did that for part of a trimester, right before I split the whole program. Naturally I do like to avoid repetition though; I'm getting better at groove, but it's a tight fit. (I like loose shoes etc...;))

jancivil wrote:this is based on my 'Abstraxiom #2' called Abstraxiom #1, in the tradition of atonal music goes with monsters and/or aliens.
Interesting. Possibly one of my most daunting projects is sort of a human vs. alien musical showdown in the archetype of the bluesman at the crossroads with the devil. Your programmatic descriptions always sound like things I plot. Now I have to take this home and listen, and in the meantime read you and rachMiel's alien dialgoues.

OK now that note (which is real acoustical phenomenon, it's two notes, bass harmonics that sound as a minor seventh, but were played as a minor second. in addition the higher note sounds as the lower) ---

sits there the exact right amount of time. (I just looked at 'score editor' HA! it's a triplet sixteenth at 4 bpm. relativity.)

the triangle is allowed to ring and decay 'naturally' now, which brings us to 59 seconds.

And I just pictured what happens next: a 'come to dinner!' triangle trill and a funk bass intro to the quite stupid song, Oigent Stuff, which is guitar-based, Gatemouth Brown or some guy.

dee dee DAHHH!

RIP S.Tufts

runagate wrote:
jancivil wrote:this is based on my 'Abstraxiom #2' called Abstraxiom #1, in the tradition of atonal music goes with monsters and/or aliens.
Interesting. Possibly one of my most daunting projects is sort of a human vs. alien musical showdown in the archetype of the bluesman at the crossroads with the devil. Your programmatic descriptions always sound like things I plot. Now I have to take this home and listen, and in the meantime read you and rachMiel's alien dialgoues.
edit: talk of things what never happened
Last edited by jancivil on Sat May 06, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

This is so far out of my comfort zone that I can't decide whether its genius or madness, but I'm veering towards the former. Either way I can't stop listening to it.
其余的是噪音

:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh lawdy, I fears fo' y'all's souls I rilly do

Creative and original piece !

It's all I can say ;)

Mrstew

Return to “Music Cafe”