Please tell me if you like this bass sound

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm finally starting to move some surf rock ideas out of the mental demo phase and into the actual demo phase. Does this bass sound cool to you? I was going for kinda trashy but not mushy. Does it have too much chorus? Is it boomy in a bad way? Any other thoughts?

http://www.box.net/shared/static/cma3089k4w.mp3

frikkin cool, reminds me of the bass from unskinny bop. all trashy and bouncy.

ChillIn

Sounds absolutely beautiful and crystal clear. The high springy-ness is what really caught my ears. It has a very bright "round wound" tone to it... I'm normally a dark "flat wound" type of guy but the detail present is definitely appreciated by me. I'd like to hear it outside the mix 'cause it sounds like the low end lacks some kick but I'm not sure that it's necessarily called for in this context. :)

ckatrun411 wrote:frikkin cool, reminds me of the bass from unskinny bop. all trashy and bouncy.

ChillIn
Trashy and bouncy sounds like the target! I'll have to hear that song again to compare. :)

justin3am wrote:Sounds absolutely beautiful and crystal clear. The high springy-ness is what really caught my ears. It has a very bright "round wound" tone to it... I'm normally a dark "flat wound" type of guy but the detail present is definitely appreciated by me. I'd like to hear it outside the mix 'cause it sounds like the low end lacks some kick but I'm not sure that it's necessarily called for in this context. :)
It's a Steinberger XQ2A with medium roundwounds on it, played with fingers (with some fingernail picking on the powerchord-ish end of the riff). That's good to hear that it might be lacking in low end a bit as I may have my sub up too high, that and I cut some freqs around 250k not knowing whether it was my untreated room or the instrument that was getting juiced in that range. I was digging the fret noise clicks interacting with the chorus. Plus, since the guitar I'm using has flatwounds on it, I kinda felt it might be cool to go a little more proggy sounding on the bass for contrast.

Return to “Music Cafe”