Feed-Back Comp-1 & Feed-Forward Comp-1 /SC

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRian
1369 posts since 21 Oct, 2004 from New England Transplant to West LA

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:06 pm

After hearing "I wish I could afford those plug-ins" I was inspired to make VST versions of my modular created compressors.

These cover just about all compression needs for musical applications. I have included a Feed-Forward, Feed-Back, & Side-chain compressor to use as you feel necessary. I have also added optional detection circuit Filters, & Drive stage for all the vintage sounding or modern punchy color you could want. (Tip-Use the listen function to setup your detection Key). Have fun.

More info:

Feed Back compressors take some of their control voltage from the output, which is often interpreted as more musical-sounding. However a bit of practice is required.

Feed Forward designs take the control voltage directly from the input, and are generally more suited for fast attack work. However a bit of practice is required as threshold, attack, and release affect the sound differently depending on the feed structure.

Key Features.
- The choice between both Feed-Forward or Feed-Back designs
- Detection Filters & Drive
- Key listen
- Side-Chain
- Channel Link/Unlink
- Musical

Download Link

Download Manual

If you find these tools useful please donate what you can. Donate Link

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by vieris on Fri May 02, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com

KVRian

Topic Starter

1369 posts since 21 Oct, 2004 from New England Transplant to West LA

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:19 am

Updated : Minor gui change..
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com

User avatar
KVRAF
5712 posts since 11 Feb, 2005 from Bordeaux France

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:53 am

YOU did that ?
You can't always get what you waaaant...

KVRAF
3187 posts since 20 Sep, 2004 from Atlanta

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:58 am

thanks, vieris!
these will see some abuse this evening! :hihi:

KVRian

Topic Starter

1369 posts since 21 Oct, 2004 from New England Transplant to West LA

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:04 pm

stanlea wrote:YOU did that ?
With some email help from the unicorn ringmaster in the enchanted playland. :)
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com

User avatar
KVRAF
5712 posts since 11 Feb, 2005 from Bordeaux France

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:31 pm

I forgot to say : thanks, useful.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

User avatar
KVRAF
19089 posts since 13 Feb, 2003 from Vancouver, Canada

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:31 pm

New compressors!!! :-o

Image

Thanks, vieris! What were the original modular versions made in?

KVRian

Topic Starter

1369 posts since 21 Oct, 2004 from New England Transplant to West LA

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:37 pm

bduffy wrote:New compressors!!! :-o

Thanks, vieris! What were the original modular versions made in?
I had a friend drooling over some of my Bidule & Tassman designs.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com

User avatar
KVRAF
19089 posts since 13 Feb, 2003 from Vancouver, Canada

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:46 pm

vieris wrote:
bduffy wrote:New compressors!!! :-o

Thanks, vieris! What were the original modular versions made in?
I had a friend drooling over some of my Bidule & Tassman designs.
Cool. I'm checking them out now: very snappy attack! I love the amount of control. Questions:

1) Is "delay" similar to "release"?

2) If the normal versions have alredy have detector filters, what's the sidechain version for? You have to set up the sidechaining in your host, I take it?

User avatar
KVRAF
8998 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:52 pm

Nice compressors but could you please change the topic to "Donation ware" instead of mentioning "free", which your plugins are not. You have a pop-up nag screen. Hardly free then..

Anyhow, I like how these sound. Good call on the drive parameter for the sidechain. This is something I do all the time with Pro-C and other compressors with a custom sidechain, I always insert a distortion plugin there to smooth the peaks.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

KVRian

Topic Starter

1369 posts since 21 Oct, 2004 from New England Transplant to West LA

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:58 pm

bduffy wrote:
vieris wrote:
bduffy wrote:New compressors!!! :-o

Thanks, vieris! What were the original modular versions made in?
I had a friend drooling over some of my Bidule & Tassman designs.
Cool. I'm checking them out now: very snappy attack! I love the amount of control. Questions:

1) Is "delay" similar to "release"?

2) If the normal versions have alredy have detector filters, what's the sidechain version for? You have to set up the sidechaining in your host, I take it?
Yes delay = Release.

The sidechain version has a 3rd input to route another audio source to trigger the compressor. You have to have a host that allows this..

& yes they can be very punchy for sure. Being the drummer I am it's something i like/need. The Feed forward is best for this. Think DBX.
& for the Feed-Back think Neve.
Last edited by vieris on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com

KVRian

Topic Starter

1369 posts since 21 Oct, 2004 from New England Transplant to West LA

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:03 pm

bmanic wrote:Nice compressors but could you please change the topic to "Donation ware" instead of mentioning "free", which your plugins are not. You have a pop-up nag screen. Hardly free then..

Anyhow, I like how these sound. Good call on the drive parameter for the sidechain. This is something I do all the time with Pro-C and other compressors with a custom sidechain, I always insert a distortion plugin there to smooth the peaks.

Cheers!
bManic
Noted.
They are fully functional none limited "free" plugins. Point taken tho..
Yeah i love driving and filtering out the detection input can get some great colors.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com

User avatar
KVRAF
19089 posts since 13 Feb, 2003 from Vancouver, Canada

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:04 pm

vieris wrote:
bduffy wrote:
vieris wrote:
bduffy wrote:New compressors!!! :-o

Thanks, vieris! What were the original modular versions made in?
I had a friend drooling over some of my Bidule & Tassman designs.
Cool. I'm checking them out now: very snappy attack! I love the amount of control. Questions:

1) Is "delay" similar to "release"?

2) If the normal versions have alredy have detector filters, what's the sidechain version for? You have to set up the sidechaining in your host, I take it?
Yes delay = Release.

The sidechain version has a 3rd input to route another audio source to trigger the compressor. Your have to have a host that allows this..

& yes they can be very punchy for sure. Being the drummer I am it's something i like/need. The Feed forward is best for this. Think DBX.
& for the Feed-Back think Neve.
Yeah, I'm hearing a snappy-ass punch to these for sure! It's putting a dynamic on the drums that I recognize from many commercial recordings, so I guess I am thinking BDX! I can see why your friend was drooling: love these compressors. I was able to put them on everything in my drum bus, and it sounded great. Good job, my man! :tu:

Request: Is there a way to enter finer values, like shift+drag?

KVRian

Topic Starter

1369 posts since 21 Oct, 2004 from New England Transplant to West LA

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:07 pm

Ctrl+Drag to fine tune.. I'll work on a manual soon.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com

User avatar
KVRAF
19089 posts since 13 Feb, 2003 from Vancouver, Canada

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:08 pm

Cool, thanks! These rock. :D

Return to “Effects”