Retro Analog Studio Suite 1 Now Available!!!!!!

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
mangel1234
KVRist
313 posts since 3 Oct, 2006

Post Fri May 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Retro Analog Studio Suite 1 Now Available!!!
Library Creator: Michael Angel, http://www.CDSoundMaster.com/
Thank you for all of the feedback on the Free Retro Analog Studio Suite 1 presets!

Now available for sale, the complete Preset Program Library Collection for Nebula Commercial users.
This works with Nebula2 and Nebula3, so if you are only using a Free version of Nebula, now is a great time
to become a Commercial Nebula user!
If you are not a registered Nebula user, go to Acusticaudio.net and sign up for your free version of Nebula!
Then, if you like what you see, purchase Nebula2 Commercial or Nebula3 Commercial in order to use this Library.
Nebula users: make sure to upgrade to the newest version of Nebula2 and Nebula3 to run this library!

Retro Analog Studio Suite 1
Price: $39
http://CDSoundMaster.com/neblibraries.html

This collection is the result of a great deal of research, and is made to provide you with a wealth of very realistic equalizers, preamps, tape tracks, and compressors. What is unique about this collection is that the focus is not on individual pieces of gear, but rather in providing the user with authentic complete signal chains modelled after several idealized, All-Analog Studios of the past. I have set the price point low enough to encourage new users to come on board and buy Nebula Commercial.
I also hope to inspire recordists to see their DAW environment in a new light, and to equip them with a collection that would likely cost a fortune if released by any other means. I hope you enjoy!!!

There are 4 categories of presets included:
RAE: Retro Analog Equalizers
RAC: Retro Analog Compressors
RAP: Retro Analog Preamps
RAT: Retro Analog Tape

Over 30 Presets !!!!!!!!!!!
Listen to audio samples here:
http://cdsoundmaster.com/rass1mp3.html

Read the entire manual for in depth information on the entire process here:
http://cdsoundmaster.com/rass1manual.html

The Preset List!!!

Retro_02_High
Retro_02_Mid
RetroStudioLowEQ
RetroStudioLoCut
(This is the complete series that you have heard as free HMidFree and HLowFree presets with reduced range)
RetroHi_LoBoost
RetroConsoleEQ1
(Read manual for details!!!)
1073Clean
(Nebula Commercial users have heard the mid band. Now there are High, Low, and Low cut as well!)
Silver73
(A labor of love. This is a collection of harmonically enhanced 1073-style presets sampled from the real hardware. Now with extra functionality!)
Silver73_HiGain!
Silver73_Smooth
(1073-Style Preamp sampled with eq circuit engaged and flat)
Vint_API_Type
(Early 312 Series API type preamp model with Lundahl Transformer, for extended bass response!)
Retro-Valve 1
Master_Leveler
33609_Drive
Passive_Tubes
Valve_Drive
(Created completely from scratch to bring to your DAW the features suggested in the titles. You will definintely hear the benefits!)
76_Drum_Slam1, 2, 3
76_AllButtons_+
Bright_Fairchild
Spirit_Of_76_A
Neve_HiGain_Comp
Tube_Drum_Comp
(All self explanatory presets that represent some very accurate features of the original units, highlighted for what can be done in the Nebula engine as of now, optimized for use on individual instruments and parallel compression)
Group_Bus
Channel_Tape_Low
(Excellent Glue for Discerning Analog Users !!!!!)

The primary focus of this collection is in fact on the equalizers. They are not only used as eq's, but as the input of a console sent to it's individual tape out, return from tape back to console channel, bus to group, and out to 2-track tape. Each part of this signal chain is fed to the following stage, with a very realistic dynamic and harmonic range. The eq's are correctly placed in the audio path and affect the outcome of only the signals that follow. All of this flows easily and smoothly, as you simply use the Nebula's input slider as your input gain pot and channel fader, and all levels follow consequently. Frequency responses, harmonics, and dynamics all work together to provide a stunning high end analog mixing and recording experience!

The presets in the Preamp section allow for a greater sense of depth in the signal path concept, working well in coordination with the EQ presets, but also on their own when you want to use a different path than one that requires an eq section. Where the signal chain focus on EQ's includes harmonics and filters, the Preamps include a wider range of harmonic content and the same level of accuracy in frequency response, but do not include an eq filter section.

The Tape presets still follow the concept of the full signal path, but focus on adding an extra dimension of 'bringing things together' or 'gluing' things together, which is excellent for tracks and for mix bus situations. There are only two presets in this section because they cover a wide range of uses together, and are based on an extremely complex signal chain. I think you will be extremely happy with the range of use.

The compressor presets are excellent for group bus situations when it is exactly the right drum group for the sound, but primarily they focus on individual instruments, and are made for use in parallel compression scenarios, where an extreme setting can sit right next to the original track and blend in the desired extra sustaining depth or attack. A lot of effort has gone into maximizing as many benefits of the compression characteristics of the Nebula engine, and much more detailed settings and parameters will become available in the future for new collections that focus moreso on individual compressors with a full range of options. I consider this an 'added bonus' to the overall concept contained in this collection, and it can enhance the other features nicely!

Enjoy!!!!!!!

dusted william
KVRAF
4790 posts since 18 Dec, 2000

Post Fri May 09, 2008 6:21 pm

Did you sample real tape for this?

Thanks,

dw

shanecgriffo
KVRAF
3648 posts since 27 Nov, 2003 from beach side australia

Post Fri May 09, 2008 6:28 pm

sounds cool, i really liked the free hmidfree version, i even used it on the mix bus of a project and it seemed to really clarify things with a bit of mid boosting.

mangel1234
KVRist

Post Fri May 09, 2008 6:37 pm

dusted william wrote:Did you sample real tape for this?

Thanks,

dw
Hi d.w.,

This is a short explanation of the 2 tape-category presets from my library:
"These are not just simplified tape emulations or samples from tape devices, but comprise the signal chain with a focus on the interaction of the colored sound of tape frequencies, harmonic balance, fluctuation of response based on transient impact and overall changes in volume, and then the passing of that response on to the rest of the signal chain, in combination with the original signal being optimized by high quality tube preamplification channels. You have the input of a channel out to tape, back to channel, sent to bus, and out to two-track tape."

The variations of signal paths have been built from scratch based on schematics and audio testing. It is similar to emulating circuits in serial using programming, except it relies also on sampling using the Nebula engine.
There are some real devices in the chain, including vacuum tube and solid state, transformers, operation amplifiers, etc. The focus is not on sampling a single device- like a single high end tape machine, or an individual equalizer- but rather getting the true balance of harmonically accurate distortion, volume, frequency plots, and limiting in an entire chain of devices. There is no actual individual tape machine, but there are several variations of examples of printing to tape based on creating the proper limiting, timing, eq balance, and most important the harmonics, in relation to the rest of the chain, and I think you will find it works really well.
Take a listen to the samples and read the manual, and if you have Nebula Free, please try out the free presets: you can get a feel for the signal chain using the HMidFree and HLowFree eq's.

Thanks!!!

dusted william
KVRAF
4790 posts since 18 Dec, 2000

Post Fri May 09, 2008 7:01 pm

thanks for your response.

I understand your signal chain process. I just want to know if a real 2 inch tape was part of that process.

Thanks,

dw

mangel1234
KVRist

Post Fri May 09, 2008 7:27 pm

The two inch tape machine portions of the signal chain are created from scratch-emulations based upon the schematics and studies of how the volume, dynamics, harmonics, and overall limiting of several tape devices affect the sound. Actual 2-inch tape and master 2 track tape was not sampled. Real hardware sampled includes transformer inputs, operation amplifiers, and vacuum tube devices. I do not believe that this in any way limits the results of the collection: I believe that the use of emulated tape in the proper chain of events is covered nicely for the purposes of this release. Please keep in mind that the primary focus of this collection is the EQ presets created as full signal chains.

There are some individual hardware tape presets in the Nebula Commercial library that you might be interested in, including 'ColorTape', 'Strudel', and several other very nice individual hardware presets.
The next several months of programming for the Nebula should yield some icredible improvements for fully sampling individual tape devices, including fully automatic sampling which previously has required a great deal of editing.

Thanks for your question. Hope this helps.

mangel1234
KVRist

Post Sat May 10, 2008 7:59 am

shanecgriffo wrote:sounds cool, i really liked the free hmidfree version, i even used it on the mix bus of a project and it seemed to really clarify things with a bit of mid boosting.
That's great! Yes, several of the eq's can be used flat for mix bus situations. The group bus setting from the full library is my new favorite to place after a comp.

Bevoss
KVRian
663 posts since 16 Jan, 2007

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:42 am

mangel1234 wrote:
shanecgriffo wrote:sounds cool, i really liked the free hmidfree version, i even used it on the mix bus of a project and it seemed to really clarify things with a bit of mid boosting.
That's great! Yes, several of the eq's can be used flat for mix bus situations. The group bus setting from the full library is my new favorite to place after a comp.
I just bought the library and tried the group bus, excellent work! Thank you for releasing this... :)

echopark
KVRian
1022 posts since 4 Jan, 2005 from Traun Austria

Post Mon May 12, 2008 3:17 am

Hallo Michael,
could you please add some audio examples for the RAT Retro Analog Tape presets ?

mangel1234
KVRist

Post Mon May 12, 2008 8:59 am

Bevoss wrote:
mangel1234 wrote:
I just bought the library and tried the group bus, excellent work! Thank you for releasing this... :)
Awesome! You are welcome.

mangel1234
KVRist

Post Mon May 12, 2008 9:38 am

echopark wrote:Hallo Michael,
could you please add some audio examples for the RAT Retro Analog Tape presets ?
Sure!

There are 2 presets in the tape section, and they are still representing full signal chains, with a heavier emphasis on the tape "glue" kind of drive.

This example has the ChannelTapeLow at the end of the chain: (song copyright 2008 Michael Angel)

http://cdsoundmaster.com/R_A_S_S-1_mp3s ... elTape.mp3

This one shows how it grabs on to early transients and rounds them out, with a little bit of the low bump and drive harmonics of tape in the signal chain.
The compression is a heavy setting feeding the ChannelTapeLow.
http://cdsoundmaster.com/RASS1Threadmp3 ... apeLow.mp3

This one has nothing on the kick and snare, just feeding the ChannelTapeLow. You can hear more resonance in the kick drum and more sustain in the snare.

ValveDrive setting on the kick, MasterLeveler on snare, ChannelTapeLow on the master.

Same as above, with GroupBus on the master. You can hear that this setting can handle drive and volume!
http://cdsoundmaster.com/RASS1Threadmp3 ... oupBus.mp3

I will post some others as well: any specific things that would be helpful to hear, I will try to post what is requested!

Thanks and God Bless You.
-M.

precison
KVRer
20 posts since 7 Jan, 2005

Post Mon May 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Man this shite sounds really really good. Those drums sound pretty good too, are they BFD 2?

But, again, I'm taken back (in a bad way) by Nebula's compression. Something is really not right about it, I'm sure you hear it too (or you may like it) but it just doesn't react smoothly. I've used a Tube Tech Compressor on vocals and it was just pure smooth with nice gain. Even at extreme settings, of course I could get that overshoot sound when the detector missed the input, but Neb 3 just sounds like older versions of plugin compression to me. There are points where it's great but they're over shadowed by the artifacts I'm speaking about.

Aside from that I think your 2nd or 3rd example sounded great, where I think you used on of the non-tape presets, it was a pre-amp chain I think. Just very good stuff overall, esp the buss presets or using the pres on the buss outputs. Man this is next level for sure, very happy here.

Arksun
KVRian
917 posts since 29 May, 2002 from UK

Post Mon May 12, 2008 3:53 pm

precison wrote:Man this shite sounds really really good. Those drums sound pretty good too, are they BFD 2?

But, again, I'm taken back (in a bad way) by Nebula's compression. Something is really not right about it, I'm sure you hear it too (or you may like it) but it just doesn't react smoothly. I've used a Tube Tech Compressor on vocals and it was just pure smooth with nice gain. Even at extreme settings, of course I could get that overshoot sound when the detector missed the input, but Neb 3 just sounds like older versions of plugin compression to me. There are points where it's great but they're over shadowed by the artifacts I'm speaking about.

Aside from that I think your 2nd or 3rd example sounded great, where I think you used on of the non-tape presets, it was a pre-amp chain I think. Just very good stuff overall, esp the buss presets or using the pres on the buss outputs. Man this is next level for sure, very happy here.
Have you tried increasing the Quality level on the master page and listening to the rendered version?. You might find it sounds a bit smoother then.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

mangel1234
KVRist

Post Mon May 12, 2008 4:22 pm

precison wrote:Man this shite sounds really really good. Those drums sound pretty good too, are they BFD 2?

Hi there. Thanks a ton for your input on this.
The tubetech line is excellent, truly!
I am going to continue posting a range of examples of compression as it stands in the Neb. engine, bc I think the technology is very close to there.
The compression presets that I have created took a lot of testing and retesting, but should not be seen as the full capacity of Nebula. Giancarlo has placed a lot under the hood that it is already able to do, that I have not even begun to implement.
Some of the original beta testers' additions to the Nebula library are very detailed and complex, but the main thing that needs to advance is the absolute response in timing to fast transients. Still, items like Gian's Yakuzi are in my opinion, as nice or better than most competing high end software plug-in comps on drums.

The drums I used here are individual single shots from a Mick Fleetwood sample collection. I have a mix of different drums from different sources on the cdsoundmaster.com site.
I have others I am going to post of me playing my set. It uses an API-style pre on snare, Neve-clone on kick, FMR RNP's on toms, and extra tracks for room mics. More than anything, I like using that in mono to show the changes the pre's and eq's make in the kick and snare. I will try using that session for more subtle compression settings as well.

Thanks again for the comments and input!

Return to “Effects”