Magix drop Samplitude dongle...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now you tell us - I've just sold my thousand shares in Magix and last thing I heard Headquest was about to jump off a tall building :lol:

captain caveman wrote:Magix is profitable and has over 300 employees.

Again, apologies for scare-mongering.
Apologies? Too late for that now...my consortium of investors have signed the necessary papers to take over Magix and reduce the price of SDLV and the upgrade price. You really have to be careful what links you post next time. Now Magix's ownership is changing hands because of it. :hihi:

Where's Volker? In my office pronto! :hihi:

:lol:

Thanks for the clarification captain :tu:

<breathes sigh of relief>

I must admit that with the current economic gloom and the somewhat over-crowded host/sequencer market, I have been wondering if any of the known names might not be around in, say, 2 years from now. (e.g. Tracktion or Project 5 both seem somewhat uncertain...). Good to know that Samplitude is in safe hands :D

ok...I just uninstalled the Codemeter runtime kit...and drum roll...

:band:

SDLV still works. :wink: So the Codemeter software is really useless in this case and has no function in the DLV version of Samp. But it really should be removed from the installer asap, as it will start up every time with Windows.

Even without Multicore support, Samplitude Music Studio looks like far better value IMO anyway as it has 64 tracks just like the Samplitude DLV version and has versions of the Vintage FX suite and Variverb as well as the full notation / Score editor from "Samplitude Pro 10" IIRC as well
We have to state that the versions of the vintage suite and variverb are just a bit downstripped:

Variverb is included in kind of a FX sound modul which looks like this:

The vintage effects suite looks like this:

I'm probably not THE expert on effects (and their sounds) but in the end I find them quite well sounding!

If the Music Studio had just a view more features I'd never think about buying SAM 10 again (I just had it but sold it after getting and using MS2008)!

In the end: MS2008 is just a really GREAT product!

I'm looking forward to MS 2009 which has been anounced (by andy, one of the sam devs) for the christmas sales this year! Hoping that some features would be included:

- MultiCore Support
- 6 Inserts plugins per track (at least 5 were OK)
- 6 Busses and auxs

*maybejustadream???*
"The 'less-is-more'-guy ... he's an asshole." (Billy Decker)

One cool thing about buying the download version is you
can upgrade to the full version for around $100

If you call the number on the website they will answer any questions you have.

http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/kontakt.html

the vst- scanning for subdirectories isnt working here.

i mean is there a way to get all the vsts shown in a structure like i installed them on my hdd? for now ~150 vsts listed in a very long dropdown- menu and im worried about my mousewheel :( .
iirc that was the same problem with the previous version...

i cant test it without easy vst access.

memyselfandus wrote:One cool thing about buying the download version is you
can upgrade to the full version for around $100

If you call the number on the website they will answer any questions you have.

http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/kontakt.html
Do you mean pro or a full(er) version of classic?

engine wrote:the vst- scanning for subdirectories isnt working here.

i mean is there a way to get all the vsts shown in a structure like i installed them on my hdd? for now ~150 vsts listed in a very long dropdown- menu and im worried about my mousewheel :( .

Try going into the Samp Program folder and find the VstPlugIns Configuration setting .Probably near the bottom . Open it in notepad and look for
"DirectoryRecursionDepth=2 ".
Try changing it to something higher and see what happens .

siriusbliss wrote:
Kraznet wrote:
BTW, I think an 8 VST limit is a bit of a killer for such an expensive host.
Maybe if you using individual single output synths yes . But you can assign multiple outputs per VSTi . So for example you can have 16 outs for Kontakt or the like . So 16 x 8 gives you 128 tracks of Kontakt . Also you could also freeze the VSTi if you need to add another Synth past the 8 limit .

Regards
Kraznet
Or just plugin EnergyXT and add VST routing that way.

This per project VST deal is NOT really a limitation compared to what else you get with Samplitude.

it's apples to oranges comparisons to other hosts in this price-range anyways, so why worry?

Greg
With all due respect, for some people that limitation IS a deal breaker, regardless of what else is included. However, I don't think Samplitude is as good of a choice for many people who do rely on VSTi as it is for those working with audio. So it depends on what you need if this is a limitation. But IMO it's a catch-22.

*Those who work with primarily audio won't need more than 8 VSTi slots.
*MOST people don't need 64 tracks.
*However, the professional crowd who does work primarily with audio will VERY commonly run beyond 64 tracks. It's just not enough tracks for a $550 product(or whatever it was).

But this IS still a bit pricey for a stripped down version. I love Samplitude, at least the LE version. Isn't my favorite, but I have it and use it occasionally. But the full version and this download version are overpriced in MY opinion. It has a LOT of features, but not "more" than other similarly priced hosts. Maybe AS MANY, but it's comparable. Of course it will have it's benefits. All hosts have something that makes it better than others.

If they would have taken the full version and put it at this price, then it would be much better. And they would probably sell a lot more copies. Hopefully they will tweak their system and come up with something that can compete. But as it stands, the limitations will kill some people. Stripped down hosts just don't cost that much(unless you maybe use SAM). And that is unfortunate for Magix as I think they slightly messed this up. Maybe it will change.

I do wish them luck though. I would like to see them succeed and get more recognition. Maybe the price can drop for the FULL version then as well as the stripped down version.

Brent
My host is better than your host

Kraznet wrote:
engine wrote:the vst- scanning for subdirectories isnt working here.

Try going into the Samp Program folder and find the VstPlugIns Configuration setting .Probably near the bottom . Open it in notepad and look for
"DirectoryRecursionDepth=2 ".
Try changing it to something higher and see what happens .
Thanks for that hint.
i tried every number from 1 - 10 and ive came to the conclusion that these numbers telling samplitude how many sub- dirs it has to scan. right?!
But its showing me now 2 folders (GEN and FX) and everything in it without sub- dirs.

i guess its intended to be for vst-users with just a few vsts.

btw: much respect for your tutorial vids. very relaxing voice. bob ross style.

captain caveman wrote:

Magix is profitable and has over 300 employees.

Again, apologies for scare-mongering.
That data is 2 years old now.From their own website:
http://www.magix.com/us/magix-ag/invest ... /overview/

October 1 to September 30 2003/2004 2004/2005 2005/2006
Revenue (in € million) 21.8 27.5 35.8
EBITDA (in € million) 6.9 6.4 10.5
EBIT (in € million) 5.3 4.9 8.2
Employees (as of Sep 30) 178 220 303

They seemed to be doing OK in 05/06, but there are no more recent figures on thier website.

And, as this thread clearly shows, Magix have too many versions of software out there which is confusing consumers.The names are too similar, too easy to get them mixed up.

Simplify and explain. The company's marketing dept. needs a bit of a shake-up.

Yep they should simplify it to maybe just two:

Samplitude Elite (for millionaires and rich producers)

Samplitude standard (loser edition) :lol:

Not sure, but doesn't magix make a bunch of "consumer" grade stuff? I'm thinking the samplitube (and sequoia for sure) are more niche...with the point being that that consumer stuff is probably bread and butter.

The only thing I own is the am suite, brilliant set of vst's imo.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”